Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member

I'm glad you posted that time reference... because it took two people (mother and sister) about that long to back-comb mine in. Lol! But my hair was pretty long... probably about shoulder-blade length

LOL! Dang. My mother didn't have the patience for my sister's hair, she just said "cut it off and get her a wig"....
    I wasn't about to let that happen... Nope! Saved my sister's hair, one strand at a time.

How long would you say it would take one person to take them out all by themselves?

Combing them out by yourself could take a considerable amount of time. The boyfriend I had at the time and myself worked on mine for about 6-8 hours. It was an all day event during which we watched several Alien movies back to back, plus at least one Predator movie. The shorter you are willing to cut them before you start untangling, the less time it will take. Mine were about 6 inches long when we started combing them out. Be advised that you will "lose" a lot of hair during the combing process, since some of it is bound not to be attached to your head anymore once they get to a certain length.
    Oh goodness, so basically sounds like it would be a 24+ hour task if I were to undo them myself.
    I definitely do not want to cut my hair, much rather keep my length.. No hair was lost when I saved my sister's hair one bit, since I was willing to sit there with her even if my butt fell asleep a few times from sitting on a tiny stool for so long.

But oh my gosh, some of the dreads I've seen some people with are EXQUISITE!!!
    I'm just imagining doing the ones that have strands of color in them, I'd probably do a two-tone of red and blue.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member

I'm glad you posted that time reference... because it took two people (mother and sister) about that long to back-comb mine in. Lol! But my hair was pretty long... probably about shoulder-blade length

LOL! Dang. My mother didn't have the patience for my sister's hair, she just said "cut it off and get her a wig"....
    I wasn't about to let that happen... Nope! Saved my sister's hair, one strand at a time.

How long would you say it would take one person to take them out all by themselves?

Combing them out by yourself could take a considerable amount of time. The boyfriend I had at the time and myself worked on mine for about 6-8 hours. It was an all day event during which we watched several Alien movies back to back, plus at least one Predator movie. The shorter you are willing to cut them before you start untangling, the less time it will take. Mine were about 6 inches long when we started combing them out. Be advised that you will "lose" a lot of hair during the combing process, since some of it is bound not to be attached to your head anymore once they get to a certain length.
    Oh goodness, so basically sounds like it would be a 24+ hour task if I were to undo them myself.
    I definitely do not want to cut my hair, much rather keep my length.. No hair was lost when I saved my sister's hair one bit, since I was willing to sit there with her even if my butt fell asleep a few times from sitting on a tiny stool for so long.

But oh my gosh, some of the dreads I've seen some people with are EXQUISITE!!!
    I'm just imagining doing the ones that have strands of color in them, I'd probably do a two-tone of red and blue.

The only times I was ever able to comb all of my own dreads out in one go was when I chopped them right off (like 2 inches long) and the time I deadlocked my Mohawk and they were falling out anyhow (the people who say dreads make you look like homeless person who forgot to brush their hair are probably thinking of me right near the end of that hairstyle). Both times it was a day long process.

Combing out my full head of shoulder length dreadlocks required a couple of hours an evening over the span of about a month. I looked like a crazy person during that process. I wore a lot of hats and headscarves during that period.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member

I know you're asking someone else, but I also combed mine out and it came out in great condition. I trimmed an inch or two off each lock before I started because I figured it would just take less time that way. I used a regular conditioner (Suave, I think) and diluted it with a bit of water in a spray bottle. Spritzed a lock, started combing at the bottom (like you would untangle any knotted hair) with a regular rat-tail comb I had at home in a drawer. Easy peasy--just takes a lot of time. My hair was so soft when I was done; not sure if that's from being locked or from the conditioner.
    I went to a stylist the next day to get a specific haircut/style and she commented that my hair was in "really good shape!"

REALLY???
    -reconsiders dreads-
    My hair's long enough anyway. If I can take 10+ hours combing my sister's "ponytail" out of her head, I can definitely do this...

I personally am not a fan of them and I agree they make a person look unkept, like you forgot to brush your hair for the last 20 years. My opinion and the OP did ask for our opinions so there should be no judging here. And if you are then shame on you. But in all fairness to each his own. If you like it do it, if you don't then don't.

Considering the amount of work they take, it's hilarious to me that dreadlocks look like someone forgot to do something with their hair for a long time. :laugh: I wish it had been that easy.

The amount of time spent in getting them does NOT take away from the fact that they still make you look unkept, not funny just my truth, it's what how I see them, again not trying to disrespect anyone just giving my opinion on something that was asked.
  • Sinisterly

The amount of time spent in getting them does NOT take away from the fact that they still make you look unkept, not funny just my truth, it's what how I see them, again not trying to disrespect anyone just giving my opinion on something that was asked.
    And how I would look affects you, how, exactly? How does anyone else's look affect your personal life?
  • Sinisterly
    had then for like 7 or 8 years......loved them......miss them from time to time.
    WHERE HAVE YOU BEENN?!?!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

And how I would look affects you, how, exactly? How does anyone else's look affect your personal life?

Exposure to dreads forced me into years of counseling.

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
  • Sinisterly

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.
    I must go hide nao, yes? -nodnod- ;)
  • SunofaBeach14

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

Your cruelty knows no bounds

*sobs*
  • Sinisterly

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

*sobs*
    Well, tell me how you want me to fix it! I can't read minds, you know :(
  • I like them if they're looked after well ... not like those an ex had which smelt absolutely rank!!!
  • SunofaBeach14

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

*sobs*

Chocolate and booze?
  • Sinisterly

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

*sobs*

Chocolate and booze?
    What kind of chocolate? I've got some vodka nice and chilled.
  • SunofaBeach14

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

*sobs*

Chocolate and booze?

The kind with extra sugar.

Good bye cruel world!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I knew some people of all different ethnic backgrounds who really rocked their dreads in the 90s. I never seem to see that anymore but part of it could be living in a somewhat conservative area. I don't know. I had long hair myself back then and thought dreads were so cool and would have loved to have them then but I worked full-time and did college debate and neither activity would have allowed that hair for 1 minute...so...

Also, I have heard a lot of debate over people thinking it is culturally offensive for "white people" to have dreads. I don't have an opinion on that. But I know some people who are absolutely LIVID over it. So maybe one thing to consider.

I understand that you don't personally have an opinion and that you're just adding on that last paragraph as an "FYI" for the OP, but multiple different ethnic groups have had a history with dreadlocks, not just the Rastafarian movement.

eta: To clarify, I understand taking other peoples' opinions into account can be important, but the idea that you shouldn't get something because it might offend certain misinformed people is silly to me.

That's how I see it too, if it was in fact something that came from one particular culture I wasn't a part of I would never consider it, but dreads have been around for thousands of years in many different cultures.

Totally get what you're all saying here...I do. Knowing the OP is aware of this and older, I wouldn't imagine it is an issue. But if you were a white teenager with dreads in my high school you probably would have been taken down in the ladies restroom. That's pretty much what I was getting at and nothing more.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member

I personally don't give two figs on how you look, never said I did. You are very defensive and are lashing out at others when the OP asked for opinions. On the other hand if I don't care for dreadlocks and I come to see you as a professional I would ask for someone else, based on the fact that I think you look unkept and unprofessional. That's where how you look would affect me and you. I'm also very aware that someone may not want to come see me as a professional because I'm fat, okay that's their right. We have our rights to our own opinions and if they are wrong or right is also in our own vision. Just because you see me as wrong does not make it so. Just because I see me as right is all that matters.....TO ME. We as humans do tend to stereotype people and we all have our reasons for it. Again quit being so defensive when my opinion was give for the OP's benefit and not yours.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I did ask for opinions, and I did really mean it when I said all were welcome, but in defense of the people who were offended by the "dirty and homeless" type comments, I guess the thing is that welcoming differing opinions isn't a license to take the filter off altogether, if you know what I mean...like a bit of diplomacy and tact is still a good thing to have even if you're offering a negative opinion.

You have to understand that for someone who has or did have dreadlocks who happens to be a normal, non-dirty or homeless person they might be a bit offended to hear someone dismiss them so categorically because of a fashion choice. Like the woman who is a physician and worked very hard to get where she is today, it's a bit silly to be like "I feel you look unkempt so you couldn't possibly be a good doctor and I would ask to see someone else". But if someone just doesn't like the way they look, I can respect that, it's just maybe presenting it like "I don't like the way that looks" might be a better way to put it than "people with dreadlocks are smelly and dirty" lol. It just seems a little unnecessarily hostile or something. Anyway I'm not trying to start a big fight, that's just how I see it.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Just a tad stereotypical...

Anyway, to the OP if you like dreads go for it but research before jumping right in. Ignore those who are judgemental and ignorant, after all it is only you who can decide.
    Wow, look at who decided to come in and judge people when they're giving their opinion, a faceless wonder that woke up hangry and alone today.
    Go back to where you came from and quit being hangry on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I don't think katielauren meant it in a bad way (correct me if I'm wrong lol) but I think by judgmental and ignorant she was making reference to people thinking dreadlocks make a person look homeless and dirty.
    I've never seen a homeless person with dreads .-.
    Those things require some high maintenance to keep them looking good. I would know, I had to wash them for my friend and apply about 3 different products for her.

This! They are very difficult to maintain.
  • Sinisterly

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.

*sobs*

Chocolate and booze?

The kind with extra sugar.

Good bye cruel world!
    Nothing wrong with a little sugar high!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

I'm not homeless or dirty. I am a well-respected physician and mother runner.
    And my locks are awesome.

Go straight to hell.

Well with that mouth, I cant believe you are that well-respected!
    FYI: This post asked for an OPINION and the poster gave it! Too bad you didnt like!!
  • Sinisterly

I personally don't give two figs on how you look, never said I did. You are very defensive and are lashing out at others when the OP asked for opinions. On the other hand if I don't care for dreadlocks and I come to see you as a professional I would ask for someone else, based on the fact that I think you look unkept and unprofessional. That's where how you look would affect me and you. I'm also very aware that someone may not want to come see me as a professional because I'm fat, okay that's their right. We have our rights to our own opinions and if they are wrong or right is also in our own vision. Just because you see me as wrong does not make it so. Just because I see me as right is all that matters.....TO ME. We as humans do tend to stereotype people and we all have our reasons for it. Again quit being so defensive when my opinion was give for the OP's benefit and not yours.
    TL;DR