Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I think they're fine, and I also think they look really good on most people. But yea, def do the research. As Sin said, once you get them, they're there. You'll have to cut your hair off if you get tired of them. But I like them. I personally couldn't do it; seems like too much work, and there's no way I could chop my hair :)

See that's exactly my issue, although I have heard stories about people combing them out over the course of several days using like 10 bottles of conditioner, but I don't know what kind of state one's hair would be in after all that lol. And I hated how I looked with short hair so I don't want to do that again if I can help it.

Wow! Didn't know that was possible- learn something new everyday. But yea, I could imagine the state your hair would be in after that.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    <<<freshly done short dreads, have some extra pics in my profile pics. Personally I love them as I have naturally curly hair so dreadlocks are much easier to maintain (for me)

I love the way they look, but like most opinions/preferences it is subjective.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Ha.. My sister didn't have dreads, but one summer she didn't brush her hair for about a month and had this gigantic knot full of dustbunnies/gunk/godknowswtfelse and my mother just wanted to cut it off.... I sat there with a bottle of pantene conditioner and combed each strand out, bit by bit.... It took me no less than ten hours.......

I do not want to imagine how long it'll take me to comb out dreads.. Or yet, if it's possible.

But yes, I have wanted them.. Quite a bit.
    I'm just not willing to sacrifice my hair for them XD
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    make fake dreads out of kanekalon hair and braid them in. 0% hair damage, 100% real looking if done correctly.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I've seen them look good on some, but it's definitely a polarizing "look". My white friend got them and a black lady told her that my friend was misappropriating the black lady's culture. So people have strong opinions about dreads, especially when white people have them, I find.

I've heard people say this as well, but in fact dreadlocks were part of many cultures going back thousands of years, the Celts apparently wore their hair in dreadlocks and would put lime in their hair to make it stand straight up before going into battle, the Romans were terrified of them lol. So it's not something that belongs to just one culture.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Love them; mine are mid back :)
  • Sinisterly
    <<<freshly done short dreads, have some extra pics in my profile pics. Personally I love them as I have naturally curly hair so dreadlocks are much easier to maintain (for me)

Hahahaha, getting the urge to just mess with them.
  • Mrsrawsoul
    Mrsrawsoul Posts: 7 Member
    I have locs and I love them:heart: !!!! They're past my waist now and can be a pain to wash but I say if you want them then get them. Do you!!
  • DSTMT

Nice!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    My son had dreads for about seven years, and just cut them off last summer because as he got older (he is 16 now), they became too troublesome when he was playing sports, which is literally all he does. It was SHOCKING when I first saw him after the haircut, he came into my place of work, and stood there for a minute or two before I even knew it was him....then he came home, and my daughter called me freaking out, lol

I thought they looked great on him, and so did all the girls, lol, but they were a LOT of work to keep up.

They are time consuming too, when I put them in, it took two days......

Personally, I love the look of dreads, both on black and white people
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    I love dreads! Pic failed :noway:

media_set?set=a.1093981152566.14405.1317668522&type=3
  • Sinisterly
    I have locs and I love them:heart: !!!! They're past my waist now and can be a pain to wash but I say if you want them then get them. Do you!!
    Mirin
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    I've had dreadlocks several times. All I can say is in retrospect, now that I'm an adult, white kid dreads are by and large not a great look.

Yeah, they can look fun but they take a long time to put in and can be a major pain to keep up and looking nice (especially if you have fine/straight hair). I found it very time consuming especially because its, you know, hair.
    Washing them I just used the tried and true baking soda/apple cider vinegar method or straight up sunlight dish soap.

I also managed to comb most of 'em out each time I've had them but only to the point that I didn't have to cut my hair right off, just much, much shorter. It took weeks of work each time and was kind of a mess.

In short, for me, it's way too much work to look like a hipster.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    I had dreadlocks for about a year. They were a lot of work to back-comb in because my hair is finely textured and somewhat thin. One of the things I really loved about them was that it made my hair much more "voluminous" and textured, when before it had always been straight as a board, smooth as a Ken doll, and disinclined to hold a curl at any time.

I had assumed that they would take less time than conventional hair styles, since... well... it's not as if you can curl them or anything, right? WRONG. To keep them looking really nice and good looking required much more dedication than I was prepared to offer. Part of that is because my hair's texture (fine, thin) is the exact opposite of the type of texture (coarse, thick) that lends well to easier maintenance.

I ended up getting rid of them because I wanted a hairstyle that required less long-term commitment. My boyfriend (at the time) and I cut them to about 4 inches each and combed them back out. It took about as long as it took to comb them in, honestly. Sometimes I miss them, but then I think about what a process it was to incorporate new growth and maintain the old growth... Ugh.
  • DSTMT
    I've had dreadlocks several times. All I can say is in retrospect, now that I'm an adult, white kid dreads are by and large not a great look.

Yeah, they can look fun but they take a long time to put in and can be a major pain to keep up and looking nice (especially if you have fine/straight hair). I found it very time consuming especially because its, you know, hair.
    Washing them I just used the tried and true baking soda/apple cider vinegar method or straight up sunlight dish soap.

I also managed to comb most of 'em out each time I've had them but only to the point that I didn't have to cut my hair right off, just much, much shorter. It took weeks of work each time and was kind of a mess.

In short, for me, it's way too much work to look like a hipster.

lol well I'm not a kid, I'm 35, and I'm of partial Arab descent if that makes it more acceptable haha. Nor do I care about looking like a hipster, I just really like the aesthetic of dreadlocks, especially when they're done well and are tidy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I think the more pressing question is whether you can both shave your pits and have dreads?

And if so, does that make you a tramp?
  • ...... on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I dont want to hijack the thread but I cant concentrate now Sin...the metaphors are running rampant
    You go back to checking if I stole your major organs!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wait for it..wait for it........well, you did steal my heart..... (awwww, cheesemeister response)(thanks for the lob, was easy to poke it out of the park)
  • Sinisterly
    I think the more pressing question is whether you can both shave your pits and have dreads?

And if so, does that make you a tramp?
    :huh: :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Now what about corn rows?
  • Sinisterly
    ...... on a holiday where love is meant to be spread.

I dont want to hijack the thread but I cant concentrate now Sin...the metaphors are running rampant
    You go back to checking if I stole your major organs!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wait for it..wait for it........well, you did steal my heart..... (awwww, cheesemeister response)(thanks for the lob, was easy to poke it out of the park)
    When was this and why wasn't I informed earlier?!
    -looks in bucket-
    Are you SUUUURE? I don't see it there.