Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I think the more pressing question is whether you can both shave your pits and have dreads?

And if so, does that make you a tramp?

Heh? :huh:
  • DSTMT
    Now what about corn rows?

Yeah that's a bit different, I think anyway, they don't look good on just anyone. But when they look good they're awesome too!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I knew some people of all different ethnic backgrounds who really rocked their dreads in the 90s. I never seem to see that anymore but part of it could be living in a somewhat conservative area. I don't know. I had long hair myself back then and thought dreads were so cool and would have loved to have them then but I worked full-time and did college debate and neither activity would have allowed that hair for 1 minute...so...

Also, I have heard a lot of debate over people thinking it is culturally offensive for "white people" to have dreads. I don't have an opinion on that. But I know some people who are absolutely LIVID over it. So maybe one thing to consider.
  • DSTMT
    I have locs and I love them:heart: !!!! They're past my waist now and can be a pain to wash but I say if you want them then get them. Do you!!

Great pic, and good advice!
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    I love beautifully decorated dreads. :) I wanted to for a while but I've never had a job that would allow it.
  • DSTMT
    I'm honestly not sure how my work would react, but I've worked at this company for 10 years and I don't deal with customers or anything, so I don't *think* it would be a problem...there's nothing in the dress code about it anyway haha
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I'm honestly not sure how my work would react, but I've worked at this company for 10 years and I don't deal with customers or anything, so I don't *think* it would be a problem...there's nothing in the dress code about it anyway haha

Maybe I am overly cautious but I'd definitely run it by your supervisor(s) before going for something so drastic.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    I combed mine out like 7 months ago

they were awesome and hot and perfect but I wanted them out I dont know I just did

love dreadlocks
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    I knew some people of all different ethnic backgrounds who really rocked their dreads in the 90s. I never seem to see that anymore but part of it could be living in a somewhat conservative area. I don't know. I had long hair myself back then and thought dreads were so cool and would have loved to have them then but I worked full-time and did college debate and neither activity would have allowed that hair for 1 minute...so...

Also, I have heard a lot of debate over people thinking it is culturally offensive for "white people" to have dreads. I don't have an opinion on that. But I know some people who are absolutely LIVID over it. So maybe one thing to consider.

I understand that you don't personally have an opinion and that you're just adding on that last paragraph as an "FYI" for the OP, but multiple different ethnic groups have had a history with dreadlocks, not just the Rastafarian movement.

eta: To clarify, I understand taking other peoples' opinions into account can be important, but the idea that you shouldn't get something because it might offend certain misinformed people is silly to me.
  • DSTMT

Maybe I am overly cautious but I'd definitely run it by your supervisor(s) before going for something so drastic.

Yeah I'm sure that's a good idea...we've got pretty good labour laws here and I'm not sure if employers are allowed to discriminate against employees because of tattoos, piercings etc but it's always good to double check stuff like that.
  • DSTMT

they were awesome and hot and perfect but I wanted them out I dont know I just did

love dreadlocks

So how was your hair after though, was it all fried and split, or did it go back to normal without too much trouble?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member

love dreadlocks

So how was your hair after though, was it all fried and split, or did it go back to normal without too much trouble?

soft & beautiful
  • DSTMT

I understand that you don't personally have an opinion and that you're just adding on that last paragraph as an "FYI" for the OP, but multiple different ethnic groups have had a history with dreadlocks, not just the Rastafarian movement.

eta: To clarify, I understand taking other peoples' opinions into account can be important, but the idea that you shouldn't get something because it might offend certain misinformed people is silly to me.

That's how I see it too, if it was in fact something that came from one particular culture I wasn't a part of I would never consider it, but dreads have been around for thousands of years in many different cultures.
  • DSTMT

love dreadlocks

soft & beautiful

Well that's encouraging...did you need to do anything special, or just regular conditioner, a brush and a lot of time?
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    The dreads in the pic are the first ones I had. About a year after this pic, I cut them- they were too heavy and getting sort of thin. But when I cut them, I did not cut them close to my scalp. I cut them about 3 inches from my scalp and for a minute there I had a bunch of stubbies sticking out in all directions! I combed out the dreads, slowly, starting bit by bit at the ends. I then had a head of frizzy, mismatched short and raggedy hair. It didn't bother me. The hair grew out fast and softened and straightened. I now have dreads again, but I waited til my hair was long again, but this time, instead of the whole ordeal of getting a VERY good friend to help tease until they hated me... instead of all that I just had my friend tease down about an inch (from the scalp). You know- you grid off the hair, and then take the portions in little pony tails and dread just an inch. Put rubber bands at the base and they dread on their own. So, now I have regular hair int he front and big notties in the back. I will do this to the front hair soon and have another head of dreads in no time. I love them. Don't let your life go by without doing what is true to your heart. This life is for you, don't let it pass while you conform to the comfort of others who do not share your dreams.
  • RivenV

love dreadlocks

soft & beautiful

Well that's encouraging...did you need to do anything special, or just regular conditioner, a brush and a lot of time?

I know you're asking someone else, but I also combed mine out and it came out in great condition. I trimmed an inch or two off each lock before I started because I figured it would just take less time that way. I used a regular conditioner (Suave, I think) and diluted it with a bit of water in a spray bottle. Spritzed a lock, started combing at the bottom (like you would untangle any knotted hair) with a regular rat-tail comb I had at home in a drawer. Easy peasy--just takes a lot of time. My hair was so soft when I was done; not sure if that's from being locked or from the conditioner.
    I went to a stylist the next day to get a specific haircut/style and she commented that my hair was in "really good shape!"
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Also wanted to add that if I do not comb my hair, it just dreads into an uncomfortable matted mess. It would pull my scalp- like when someone grabs one or two hairs and pulls- ouch! And I am a wild person, I don't like combing my hair. So, outside of conventional pressures to do certain things with my hair, I would naturally have dreadlocks. If this offends a certain race or culture, it isn't my concern. I am just doing what is natural to me.
  • DSTMT
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone, I really appreciate it! And it's very reassuring to hear all the stories about people successfully combing them out, that makes me consider it a bit more seriously. Jezebel I love your picture! It must have taken a long time to get them so long. Riven that's interesting your hair turned out so soft too, I wonder if it is because they were locked and so didn't take a lot of wear and tear from styling and whatnot?
  • RivenV
    My hair has always been soft; that's probably one of the only benefits I think there are to having fine hair. I was pretty careful with my locks because I'd heard/read stories about folks who washed them too thoroughly or too frequently, dried out their locks too much, and ended up with "broken" dreadlocks. I've always had to wash my hair every day, but when I had dreadlocks I would only wash it every other day, if that. I would still get them wet, towel dry, and maybe even gently blow-dry them with a conventional hair dryer every day. Consistency-wise, it's a lot like having a lot of long sponges attached to your head, so there's a lot of emphasis on being careful with any additives you might put on or in them. If you don't wash them out thoroughly, they'll start to get funky. I found a shampoo specifically designed to wash dreadlocks in that it had, 1) a very simple, no-nonsense gentle formula, and 2) absolutely no scent. The fewer additives in your shampoo, the better; it's much easier to wash out.

One other thing to consider, my primary form of exercise while I had dreadlocks was swimming. I would take special care immediately after swimming to use the locker room shower and rinse them out. If this is starting to sound like a lot of work, it's because it was for me. Lol. It started to feel less like a hairstyle and more like a way of life dedicated to my hair. I loved having them, but I did not love how much work it required. If I could have that look without all that work, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I, personally, don't like them. I agree with the person that stated that they look dirty.

However, it's your hair to do with as you please. I certainly didn't ask anyone's opinion or permission when I decided to start shaving my head or growing my beard.