"GALS"

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your sister in law sounds like a delightful person.

Am I detecting some sarcasm? She actually is quite delightful. One of smartest and coolest women I've ever met.

Then you probably shouldn't post threads that make her sound dumb and *****y. Because we don't know her.
    Wait ... is the SIL upset over the term or is she upset because they coworker is upset and she doesn't agree or is she upset because the coworker claims it's a racial slur, but your SIL didn't think that until the coworker said it?
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What group is it supposed to be racist towards? :huh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    What group is it supposed to be racist towards? :huh:
    Buffalonians.
  • kiekie33
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not, I've certainty never heard it in that context, I always thought it just meant girls
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's not a racial slur.

But a feminist could make the argument that it is a gender-biased term. Like how some women are offended by "broad".
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Am I detecting some sarcasm? She actually is quite delightful. One of smartest and coolest women I've ever met.

The good news is that your meter isn't broken. The bad news is you started this thread.
  • rml_16
    Options

Then you probably shouldn't post threads that make her sound dumb and *****y. Because we don't know her.
    Wait ... is the SIL upset over the term or is she upset because they coworker is upset and she doesn't agree or is she upset because the coworker claims it's a racial slur, but your SIL didn't think that until the coworker said it?

Oh now I see...

The SIL is upset at the coworker who's upset at the word gals and now geyser is upset at us because his post made us think he was upset with his SIL.

I have an upset stomach now.
    Maybe.

I'm not sure.

We need clarification.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    That's just looking to find fault. I see nothing derogatory about calling women gals. Most likely it was a term used where the person grew up in a certain part of the country.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If "boy" can be considered racist then maybe "gal" can be too. But a more realistic complaint is that is is demeaning. Even so....Get over it biaaach! Get back to work!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This is one of those times where having a firm grasp on syntax and grammar could have helped you not make your beloved... I mean, sister in law ... look like a dumba$$.

That said, I urban dictionary says gal if a term white men used for female slaves. Though, I am from Klan country and have NEVER heard that.

Anyway.

If you SIL wrote "Gal" she might just want to be more formal with her memo writing, unless it's super casual where she works.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If "boy" can be considered racist then maybe "gal" can be too. But a more realistic complaint is that is is demeaning. Even so....Get over it biaaach! Get back to work!
    I don't think Klan members ran around calling fully grown women "gals" just to put them in their place during the Jim Crow era. Just sayin'.
  • rml_16
    Options
    That said, I urban dictionary says gal if a term white men used for female slaves.

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's possible. I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. "Guys and gals" is a pretty common phrase, though, and "gal" was used mid-20th century to describe pretty much all young women.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for offending anyone with this thread. I merely just wanted to bounce it off people to see what their thoughts were. Some workplace environments are very stressful. She's not losing sleep over it......she was just baffled by it. When I heard about it......I was quite baffled too. But hey...........once again......sorry for starting this thread to the people who are responding so negatively. Peace.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    it just means "girl".

a "ragtime gal" means a girl on her period. (like the song)
  • rml_16
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for offending anyone with this thread. I merely just wanted to bounce it off people to see what their thoughts were. Some workplace environments are very stressful. She's not losing sleep over it......she was just baffled by it. When I heard about it......I was quite baffled too. But hey...........once again......sorry for starting this thread to the people who are responding so negatively. Peace.
    Mostly we were confused because your OP was worded poorly.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS. I'm just going to use the term "sammich maker" from now on.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    That said, I urban dictionary says gal if a term white men used for female slaves.

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's possible. I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. "Guys and gals" is a pretty common phrase, though, and "gal" was used mid-20th century to describe pretty much all young women.

Yeah, I have no idea if that is true of not -- I can't find it supported anywhere else on the intermawebz, but it really wouldn't surprise me if true. That's why I like to keep business communication as formal as possible. Never know when you will use a word that has and all but forgotten, ugly history.

Still though, I just think the coworker should have been like "Hey, I don't like that work cause xyz". S/he'd have to be aware that the connotation has mostly been lost over the years....