"GALS"

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Also, since it was a term used by white people towards black women, white people don't get to decide if it's offensive or not.

White People? I think calling white people, White People, is offensive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Also, since it was a term used by white people towards black women, white people don't get to decide if it's offensive or not.

My grandmother called me "gal". And we are both white?
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Uh no it is NOT a "racial" slur... at least not in my book. Just a slang word... but if she feels that strong about it maybe she just needs to let the sender know it may not be very good etiquette to include it on future memos. That is what I would do anyways... Have a Happy Valentine's day!!!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

That must've been a terrible obstacle to overcome. A litttle girl called me Baldy the other day. It was a joke to her, but it is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

You are saying this like it is fact, can you provide some insight to your opinion? Where was this used?

I have never heard gal used as a derogatory term toward black women, so I am curious what your reference for this is.

It's not an opinion, it's history. I studied cultural anthropology. I am sure if you google "gal derogatory black women" or "gal black slavery" you will find plenty of information.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

38994-Thats-just-your-opinion-man-Bi-Z1aR.jpeg
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

She's obviously a racist. Duh.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    This is why i just call everyone the same thing Samuel L Jackson does.

Keeps it simple.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

You are saying this like it is fact, can you provide some insight to your opinion? Where was this used?

I have never heard gal used as a derogatory term toward black women, so I am curious what your reference for this is.

It's not an opinion, it's history. I studied cultural anthropology. I am sure if you google "gal derogatory black women" or "gal black slavery" you will find plenty of information.

You actually don't though -- I googled it and I only get a link to Urban Dictionary.

ETA I was googling "gal" and "racist" and also "gal" and "slur".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I did google it. I found one site that mentions it, but my phone is being stupid and I can't open it to read more about it.

Either way, this is NOT a commonly-known "fact." I bet few black people are aware of this particular origin, assuming it's the case.

But my question is, if we can't say "gal," (which was used to describe ALL young women at one point in fairly recent history), are we not allowed to call male children "boys" anymore?
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I'm just answering the question.

I didn't realize people would be so shocked to know that language has a history...
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

I googled "livery golden james" and got About 28,500,000 results (0.48 seconds)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I didn't realize people would be so shocked to know that language has a history...
    We're not. We're trying to determine if this particular history is accurate and if it is, in fact, racist. So far, I'm not convinced.
  • homerjspartan
    Options

Then if you studied it, provide some insight. That is all I'm asking.

I did Google it. I got Urban dictionary and a bunch of forum posts. No data or specific references.

I would think you can come up with some specicif references for your statement. As a student of culture, you should understand that data is needed to back up your claim.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Not shocked, but there really isn't much about it when you google.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

Not for long. Since every special snowflake has to complain about every little thing eventually all language will look like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer nec odio. Praesent libero. Sed cursus ante dapibus diam. Sed nisi. Nulla quis sem at nibh elementum imperdiet. Duis sagittis ipsum. Praesent mauris. Fusce nec tellus sed augue semper porta. Mauris massa. Vestibulum lacinia arcu eget nulla. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sodales ligula in libero. Sed dignissim lacinia nunc. Curabitur tortor. Pellentesque nibh. Aenean quam. In scelerisque sem at dolor. Maecenas mattis. Sed convallis tristique sem. Proin ut ligula vel nunc egestas porttitor. Morbi lectus risus, iaculis vel, suscipit quis, luctus non, massa. Fusce ac turpis quis ligula lacinia aliquet. Mauris ipsum. Nulla metus metus, ullamcorper vel, tincidunt sed, euismod in, nibh. Quisque volutpat condimentum velit. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam nec ante. Sed lacinia, urna non tincidunt mattis, tortor neque adipiscing diam, a cursus ipsum ante quis turpis. Nulla facilisi. Ut fringilla. Suspendisse potenti. Nunc feugiat mi a tellus consequat imperdiet. Vestibulum sapien. Proin quam. Etiam ultrices. Suspendisse in justo eu magna luctus suscipit. Sed lectus. Integer euismod lacus luctus magna. Quisque cursus, metus vitae pharetra auctor, sem massa mattis sem, at interdum magna augue eget diam. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Morbi lacinia molestie dui. Praesent blandit dolor. Sed non quam. In vel mi sit amet augue congue elementum. Morbi in ipsum sit amet pede facilisis laoreet. Donec lacus nunc, viverra nec.
  • homerjspartan
    Options

OK. The word ice is offensive to eskimos.

Prove me wrong.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I'll try my best to word things better and make things more clear from now on. Sorry for causing so much chaos and confusion.
  • RaeLB
    Options

You actually don't though -- I googled it and I only get a link to Urban Dictionary.

ETA I was googling "gal" and "racist" and also "gal" and "slur".

http://www.blackvoicenews.com/columnists/joseph-a-bailey-ii-md/45114-slave-names-in-the-americas.html