"GALS"

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS. I'm just going to use the term "sammich maker" from now on.

What kind ya want? I am barefoot and in the kitchen.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a "Gals...Show me your bewbs!" thread...
  • samran93
    samran93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ^^ The perfect statement
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Your sister in law sounds like a delightful person.

Am I detecting some sarcasm? She actually is quite delightful. One of smartest and coolest women I've ever met.

Then you probably shouldn't post threads that make her sound dumb and *****y. Because we don't know her.
    Wait ... is the SIL upset over the term or is she upset because they coworker is upset and she doesn't agree or is she upset because the coworker claims it's a racial slur, but your SIL didn't think that until the coworker said it?

Oh now I see...

The SIL is upset at the coworker who's upset at the word gals and now geyser is upset at us because his post made us think he was upset with his SIL.

I have an upset stomach now.

2s7cmzp.gif
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Blows me away how fast a simple thread can go in a downward spiral. Time to listen to some NIN
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That said, I urban dictionary says gal if a term white men used for female slaves.

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's possible. I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. "Guys and gals" is a pretty common phrase, though, and "gal" was used mid-20th century to describe pretty much all young women.

Yeah, I have no idea if that is true of not -- I can't find it supported anywhere else on the intermawebz, but it really wouldn't surprise me if true. That's why I like to keep business communication as formal as possible. Never know when you will use a word that has and all but forgotten, ugly history.

Still though, I just think the coworker should have been like "Hey, I don't like that work cause xyz". S/he'd have to be aware that the connotation has mostly been lost over the years....
    I kind of wonder if the coworker saw it on Urban Dictionary and that's her main source.

Interesting that it wouldn't be anywhere else and we've never heard of it. I mean, the use of "boy" is well documented in history books and in a lot of movies from or about that era, but I've never heard "gal" used that way. I paid pretty close attention in history classes, too, and I read a lot.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I call gals, Gals, all the time. Never had anyone get their panties in a twist over it.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that "gal" was a derogatory terms used towards black women during slavery times.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that "gal" was a derogatory terms used towards black women during slavery times.

And a "*kitten*" used to mean a cigarette.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Also, since it was a term used by white people towards black women, white people don't get to decide if it's offensive or not.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... I am pretty sure gals just means girls. I have no idea what else it means

Yep it means girls... Has nothing to do with race
  • homerjspartan
    Options

Technically a *kitten* is a bundle of sticks, used for kindling.
  • rml_16
    Options

It still does in some parts of the world that are not the US. And is commonly used as such.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    What group is it supposed to be racist towards? :huh:
    Buffalonians.

I nominate this as "The Best Joke No One Else Got". I laughed.
  • homerjspartan
    Options
    Also, since it was a term used by white people towards black women, white people don't get to decide if it's offensive or not.

You are saying this like it is fact, can you provide some insight to your opinion? Where was this used?

I have never heard gal used as a derogatory term toward black women, so I am curious what your reference for this is.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What group is it supposed to be racist towards? :huh:
    Buffalonians.

I nominate this as "The Best Joke No One Else Got". I laughed.
    I'm glad someone did. lol
  • RaeLB
    Options

And now it's used in a derogatory way towards LGBT*Q people.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Did you grow up knowing that or have to look it up on urban dictionary? I grew up in a very white, very racist area and have never heard it used that way. And I have heard a lot, a lot of slurs throughout the years.
  • rml_16
    Options

And now it's used in a derogatory way towards LGBT*Q people in the United States.

FIFY