Sabotage!

Options
1235»

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a disease, no matter what you are addicted too, and yes, there are TONS of people who manipulate and steal for food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2349007/Food-really-addictive-Study-finds-brain-activity-similar-heroin-users-eating-certain-processed-foods.html
    Oh please. I've had this discussion many times with others on here and even at work. So I propose this:

Take any food you're "addicted" to. Say you don't have it for a month. Now it's in front of you, but it's had a swarm of flies landing on it after the swarm was in a pile of poo. Now tell me would you eat it? If not, then you're not addicted like a heroin addict, a coke addict, etc.
    A heroin addict would risk using a dirty needle.
    A cocaine addict would snort coke if it landed in a gutter.

An addict CANNOT use their addiction in moderation. People can do just fine having a little of their favorite foods without going into convulsions.

You're not "addicted", you just have a bad habit or disordered in your eating.

lol. and all that comes to mind is bob saget in half baked.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You and your husband are probably never going to be 100% on the same page with food/nutrition goals.

Deconstructed meals are the way to go. DH and I order take away quite a bit. While waiting we make a quick soup (pressure cookers and food processors rock) and/or salad.

Then he eats a higher ratio of take away to soup/salad than I do. Same goes for our daughter who is a growing girl without a weight problem. I eat more soup/salad and less take away.

It gives DH and I both a break from cooking while having a nice treat. Problem solved.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does this too on occasion.

I usually make sure that I usually have some calories spare so I can have a little bit, and then I stop when I have had a small amount. I still find it hard when I've had enough to eat that day, I'm not hungry, and he digs out something yummy but I just remind myself of where I started and how I got to where I am now, and that's motivation enough.

I didn't used to be able to do this, previously I'd eat 'my share' too and inevitably put on weight, but when I started being really aware of how many calories I was eating vs. what I needed then it became much easier to stop when I wanted to.

You don't have to reach for that food and you don't have to eat it. If that is a real problem for you then you need to find some ways to manage it, e.g. increasing your exercise so you can eat that stuff without it becoming a weight issue.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking each other is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

MyFitnessPal Moderator

psulemon
This discussion has been closed.