Obese in the gym?

Options

Replies

• sillycat2000
    sillycat2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just reading everyone's response to this question is so encouraging. Even us average folk feel self conscious. I do agree with others that if your ready do it. I am always encouraged when I see people of all shapes and sizes giving their all and trying to improve their health. Look for a gym that fits your personality. Some gyms rats(people) are their to pick-up and don't break a sweat & others are there to sweat. or glisten if your a girl :-).
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    When I see a significantly overweight person really trying, and I see that person keep coming back, I am feel inspired and proud of them. I know what an emotional and physical challenge it was even when I was in the 200s. If someone says anything to you or looks at you funny, that says much more about them than it does about you. Keep up the great work!:heart:
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified of going to the gym. I was so worried that everyone would be laughing at me for being so much bigger than them. It would depress me and I would end up stop trying altogether.

Now, I honestly don't care. The gym I go to is a local YMCA, it's a huge complex and always busy, even in the mornings. Everyone's doing their own thing. I always make a point to look people in the eye and smile when I go by. I'm there, I'm trying. It doesn't matter how I look at the gym! We're all there doing the same thing, we're just all at different places on the journey.

To make it fun, I have a collection of geeky t-shirts I wear to the gym, including one of these tr401atk-w484h484z1-41347-working-off-my-adipose.jpg

Where'd you get this?! I love it :)
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I feel very self-conscious when I exercise (stupid gym class flashbacks), so I've been working out on my own at home- walking regularly and using YouTube videos (Fitness Blender has a lot of great workouts). If the gym still feels intimidating, that might be one way to ease yourself into the idea- depending, of course, on what exercise you like and whether you can do it at home.

And I wanted to thank everyone on this thread who chipped in with their positive gym experiences. I'll keep them all in mind once I get up the nerve/money to join a gym!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You can do stuff at home & you don't need any equipment. In fact your weight at the present time is more than enough. Body-weight exercises are fantastic. You are your own gym.

Yes, but I truly think to this and the person who suggested just walking, that for me, going to the gym and overcoming that fear gave me a sense of accomplishment and confidence that I could not get at home. I feared something. I conquered it. After a few years, I rocked it. One of the challenges from going from being a fat person to being a more normal weight is learning to think of yourself as capable and courageous. We all hide from things when we are fat. Part of giving up being fat is learning to be something else not only physically but emotionally.

Put yourself out there. Conquering body image issues is something many struggle with at any weight. It only gets better by practicing. As a kid, I was always a little (10-15 pounds) bigger than the other girls. I was always self-conscious about my weight. I never played any sports because I was too self conscious.

Now at 40 years old I am doing CrossFit and learning Olympic lifting from one of the best lifters in the country. I hike mountains I've always looked at and thought were impossible for me. I see a lake and think, "I'm going to swim across that." I had an athlete and a warrior hidden inside me the whole time. You might have one, too. It almost makes me cry to think about all the things I never did because I was too scared. On the other hand, it almost makes me cry happy tears now to know that I can do so many things I never thought I would have the confidence to try. I hid from life. Now I have a list of things (adventures, physical challenges) I will do that most people think I'm crazy for having. But, I will do all of them. You have to start somewhere. Again: Put yourself out there. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Life happens outside of your comfort zone: that's where the magic happens!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I feel very self-conscious when I exercise (stupid gym class flashbacks), so I've been working out on my own at home- walking regularly and using YouTube videos (Fitness Blender has a lot of great workouts). If the gym still feels intimidating, that might be one way to ease yourself into the idea- depending, of course, on what exercise you like and whether you can do it at home.

And I wanted to thank everyone on this thread who chipped in with their positive gym experiences. I'll keep them all in mind once I get up the nerve/money to join a gym!

I go to Planet Fitness. They are pretty inexpensive. $10/month plus a yearly fee that doesn't come out until October or something like that. I don't remember how much it is. No contract. At least at the one I go to, there are all walks of life there, young, old, tall short, obese, overweight, fit, underweight, disabled...you name it. They have a big "Judgment Free Zone" sign on the wall. Honestly, when I'm working out, I don't pay attention to everyone else. If I actually think anything about anybody in particular, it's usually a fit person, and I'm thinking, I hope I can look like that. The only way to start it, is to do it once. Some 24 hour type places offer trial memberships of like a week. You could always try it out.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 6 or 7 days a week. I love going to the gym. While I'm at the gym, I have my ear buds in and I am most likely watching a movie or TV show. Chances are, I'll never see you no matter what you weigh because I won't be paying attention. I consider my gym time "me time" and for that amount of time, I neither have nor want contact with the outside world (I do say hi when spoken to, of course.) Even if I should notice, I would just think, "Good for you" and wish you success. After all, your success takes nothing away from my own success. If you feel waves of disapproval from the gym rats, ask them for advice. Most of them will fall over each other to help you. Once you become human to them, you won't have a problem. They'll probably feel a little smug knowing they played a part in your success.

But here's the best way to look at it in my opinion: You pay your dues, which makes you a member. By becoming a member you belong there by definition. Period. Even if they disapprove, assuming anyone even notices, they can't do anything about it, you have every right to be there.
  • Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I've read every single post on here, and thank you for being such wonderful people. I live in Scotland so I don't think I have this Y gym you all mentioned, but I can get a very cheap membership with my university. That makes it slightly harder because most of the people at my university are young and slim etc.

After what you guys said, I went to a Zumba class with my friends yesterday. Nobody stared, even when I was hideously out of time and falling over! It's given me more confidence, the only time people were looking my way they were smiling.

So... I've done it.

I've paid for a membership. I have to do an induction session first so they can make sure you can use the machines etc, then it's a go-go. I was thinking two days a week to start with, plus Zumba every week. I am going to start on the rowing machine and elliptical, and I am 10% through Starting Strength, once I'm over the fear of the gym, I can start onto lifting etc.

And weight loss at week 5 is now 11.4lb :)
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified of going to the gym. I was so worried that everyone would be laughing at me for being so much bigger than them. It would depress me and I would end up stop trying altogether.

Now, I honestly don't care. The gym I go to is a local YMCA, it's a huge complex and always busy, even in the mornings. Everyone's doing their own thing. I always make a point to look people in the eye and smile when I go by. I'm there, I'm trying. It doesn't matter how I look at the gym! We're all there doing the same thing, we're just all at different places on the journey.

To make it fun, I have a collection of geeky t-shirts I wear to the gym, including one of these tr401atk-w484h484z1-41347-working-off-my-adipose.jpg

My gym bag is a Tardis!

Just go and have fun, if you're ready. Try not to worry about everyone else! :)

Holy crap, I need that shirt!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Well done! Its hard work but very addictive and the results make it more than worth the effort. :)
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was 325lbs when I started my journey. Go, be confident and get the workout in. Don't worry about other people. Like someone else said - I look at the people are close to where I started and I want to give them a pat on the back. You want to get healthy just like everyone else who goes there. Don't hold yourself back!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options

My gym bag is a Tardis!

Just go and have fun, if you're ready. Try not to worry about everyone else! :)

Oh my goodness, I need this. :love:

But yes I agree, I felt a bit self conscious going to the gym at first, I have yet to brave going into the free weights section but I feel great about going, and there are people of all ages and sizes, and I've never had anything negative said to me or heard it towards anyone else, I've even had people help me with some things if they've noticed I was doing it wrong. I started at 276, I'm a 5'7" female, so fairly large.
  • acmsas
    acmsas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I go to the gym. Am I often the largest person there? Yes! Do people look at me weird? No idea and don't care!!! When I was working out at my last gym there was a very large person there. And she gave her workouts everything she had! She inspired me to push myself farther!! Just get in there. I think getting to the gym is half of my battle. I always "enjoy" it once I'm there but dread it until I walk thru the door!
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, when I started, I was 240lb (right at BMI of obese) I am currently around 160lb, just pushed myself! Just go.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    cDS2CJV.png

Only *kitten* do it.
  • bahhumbug2
    bahhumbug2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At only 5 foot and 3/4 inches, and 240 pounds (at least that's what it said the last time I willingly got on a scale) according to all the charts; I was morbidly obese. Add to that two rebuilt knees (1st ACL rebuild w/menicus removed in 1981, other knee ACL rebuild in 2001) - going to the gym was the last thing I was interested in.
    However, after joining the YMCA and being warmly welcomed to any class I tried - and encouraged by seeing folks of all shapes, ages and abilities; I can say that I now regularly do Step, Shred and RIPPED classes. Not that I don't have to modify the moves for my abilities - but I'm there.
    One woman who I don't know (another member) came up to me after I'd missed a few weeks and said "It's so nice to see you, I wondered where you were." An instructor, when I was struggling to do the three times damned squats on & off the step (picture a sweaty, overweight, puffing older woman who's doing the moves on the floor...) came up behind me and quietly said "Beautiful form."
    So, while I can't say I've lost a ton of weight (remember the scale aversion?) I can proudly say my pants size went from 24 to 16, and now even those are a bit loose.
    And finally, if all of that doesn't help convince you that working out is fabulous, no matter what you look like - I'll close with a quote from my darling daughter; which definitely comes under the heading of Out of the Mouths of Babies.....
    "Mom, you're so much more fun to be around; after you work out."
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure someone's had a bad experience at the gym because they were overweight, I suspect you can find stories of people who have had bad experiences at just about any place because they were overweight (because unfortunately *kitten* are everywhere). Honestly, if you're busting your butt in the gym, I suspect you'll get respect - not disrespect - from the other people at the gym. Ultimately though you're doing it for yourself, not anyone else, so I really wouldn't worry too much about what other people are thinking.
  • moobiieej
    moobiieej Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know that you would feel pretty uncomfortable , but you shouldn't care about what others think since this is for you ! You're doing something great for your body, they should look at you and smile because you're actually trying to make a difference in your life.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    the gym used to terrify me too, but when you go, you notice that most people have ear buds in and are in their own world.

^^This. I belong to two gyms in two different cities (long story). If I happen to notice anyone really heavy (odds are I won't) I just mentally congratulate them on their determination.

The gym has been my salvation. I tried working out at home but once I get home all I want to do is crash. If I try to work out I notice that my floors need to be mopped or the dishes need to be done, my refrigerator is calling me, or my cats and dogs become needy and want to cuddle with me on the couch (seriously, work out or cuddle with my warm, furry "babies" HMMMMM . . . )

RK4GXKbs.jpg

Go to the gym. If anyone judges you because of your weight that's their stupidity.