Are pepperoni balls unhealthy?!

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    'in4' - "I want these in my life" - get some for me too please SilverRose89!
    Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.
    What's up with fat?
    If you're otherwise healthy and not obese, why is white bread bad for you?
    What makes a carb 'bad'?

There is a such thing as good fat and bad fat, I never said she shouldn't eat them. I said that they aren't healthy, she asked I told her. Avocado is a good fat.

Good carbs get absorbed slowly into our systems, avoiding spikes in blood sugar levels. Examples: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans.

We can minimize the health risk of bad carbs by eating fewer refined and processed carbohydrates that strip away beneficial fiber. Examples: white bread and white rice.

She asked about healthy, that's all I'm saying. I don't see any issues in indulging in a non healthy thing once in awhile, but she asked about it being healthy, so I answered her.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    :laugh: No. White bread is fine and so is fat.
    If you're not very fit and/or are obese, then there can be advantages to having your carbs in a more complex form.
    Doesn't seem that's the case if you are healthy and not obese. Ok, there are still various ways, but any studies I've seen, the significance for an already healthy person is minimal - that person would probably be as well to do a little more exercise and not worry about it, than eat food they don't like so much and reduce their quality of life from that (thus uppign other risk factors :) ).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They look delicious.

And I totally agree that they are probably lying on the calories. There's NO WAY this is 95 calories. Just no way.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just cus it's low in calories don't mean it's healthy, but doesn't mean it's unhealthy either. However, I think you know the answer to this. Pepperoni is fatty unless it's turkey pepperoni, white bread is not good for you, it's a bad carb, however it's ok to have something like this once in awhile, so don't beat yourself up.

What you got against fat? I live for fat. So tasty and filling.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That looks like 190 - 250 calories!
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    If you're not very fit and/or are obese, then there can be advantages to having your carbs in a more complex form.
    Doesn't seem that's the case if you are healthy and not obese. Ok, there are still various ways, but any studies I've seen, the significance for an already healthy person is minimal - that person would probably be as well to do a little more exercise and not worry about it, than eat food they don't like so much and reduce their quality of life from that (thus uppign other risk factors :) ).

The OP did not ask if she was obese or over weight or not fit, she asked if it was healthy.

Again, I have nothing against fat, I stated that pepperoni and white bread is not healthy. I never said I didn't eat it or that I'm against it, I was answering the OP
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I've eaten bread and fat foods (because you do need fat you know) from when I was morbidly obese to now. I wouldn't say I'm very fit and I'm still in the obese category and eating white bread in moderation and eating fats to meet my fat macro has worked for me in both becoming healthier and losing weight.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    kielbasa balls are even better...

_MG_1414.JPG
    homemade sweet bread dough wrapped around a juicy meaty nugget :love:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get over it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They look yummy I would definately eat that - maybe the sodium might be high though so not the day before weighing :ohwell:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an unhealthy food, only unhealthy diets. If it fits your macros for the day it's perfectly fine for you to eat.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    There's no such thing as an unhealthy food, only unhealthy diets. If it fits your macros for the day it's perfectly fine for you to eat.

Wow really? That's crazy, so food with a lot of bad chemicals is perfectly healthy?
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    In for juicy meat nuggets! *drools*
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Wow really? That's crazy, so food with a lot of bad chemicals is perfectly healthy?

What foods are those? And if they have "bad chemicals" I doubt they'd be allowed to sell it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

What foods are that? And if they are "bad chemicals" I doubt they'd be allowed to sell it.

Your trust in the FDA is pretty amazing, honestly.

I would say there are foods healthier than others.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What foods are that? And if they are "bad chemicals" I doubt they'd be allowed to sell it.

Your trust in the FDA is pretty amazing, honestly.

I would say there are foods healthier than others.

There are foods that may be nutritionally better than others, but please, tell me which foods are going to kill me then? Could you also provide the peer reviewed studies for those while you are at it? (Peer reviewed studies. Not blogs or wikipedia) :smile: Thanks ahead of time :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Please list the bad chemicals in question
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    12 bucks for 25 of em shipped to your door. 3.2 ounces each. Ordered for science.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There is a such thing as good fat and bad fat, I never said she shouldn't eat them. I said that they aren't healthy, she asked I told her. Avocado is a good fat.

Good carbs get absorbed slowly into our systems, avoiding spikes in blood sugar levels. Examples: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans.
    What makes a fat good or bad and why?

Here's an interesting article:
    http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/mens-health/nutrition/healthy-eating/article/-/5927822/what-if-bad-fat-is-actually-good-for-you/

carbs, the link I always post:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

White rice has 'anti-nutrients' which are in the 'brown' part of the rice removed. These actually prevent some of the useful nutrients in the rice being absorbed. Arguably white is 'healthier' as far as micronutrients go.
    Fibre also means less nutrients are absorbed - and can be less calories. Lower calories of course may be good for dieters, but can also change the 'calories out' without you realising.