I'm dying, 18,000 cal binge, final tommorow? :(

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If somebody truly binge eats on 18,000 calories in a day, which is nine days worth of calories for some grown males, why are so many people cheering them on to ignore natural hunger cues and continue eating "normally" the next day?

A human body that has been subjected to that level of caloric overload in one day will NOT become genuinely hungry the following day. The mind might crave more of the type of food you binged on, but it will not be genuinely hungry for additional calories after that kind of haul.

Telling somebody to "eat normally" the next day, regardless of whether their body is actually truly hungry, is so irresponsible. A person dealing with out of control eating needs to move into a direction of learning what true hunger is, not just eating for eating sake because, on a societal level, we're foolishly so terrified of going without food...regardless of whether our bodies need it or not.

I believe the reason people are giving that advice, is that restricting intake the next day, can lead to an unhealthy pattern of binge eating then restricting, on and on, which can in itself become an eating disorder.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I believe the reason people are giving that advice, is that restricting intake the next day, can lead to an unhealthy pattern of binge eating then restricting, on and on, which can in itself become an eating disorder.

Absolutely. But I think it's imperative that she, and all of us really, learn proper hunger cues. The human body is not likely to experience true, real hunger a day after eating nearly 20k worth of calories. Eating just for the sake of eating has no point, an in fact will just eventually lead to weight gain.

I just hope the OP, and people in similar situations, understand that it is perfectly natural to not experience real hunger after this kind of overwhelming intake. They should not eat just because it's "normal" to eat everyday. Listening to the body's natural cues, learning how to, is one of the great keys to breaking overeating addictions.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good advice here and it all sounds healthy. I used to be a binge/purge person and no longer am. Feel free to friend me if you want and we can talk openly about this. I also recommend that you read my blog - 1fatchick2another.blogspot.com. I tackle weight loss, yes, but also everything that goes with it for someone who struggles with food - acceptance, forgiveness, self-sabotage, binging/purging, etc., etc. If you do read it, go allllllll the way to the first article and work your way up. All the best. Beth

Please don't plug your blog in other people's "I need help" threads.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble with binging(and purging occasionally), lately. I talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed me Adderall. It's a medication for ADD that helps make you more focused, and one of the side effects happens to be reduced appetite. I started taking it today and I haven't had any urge to binge. It's actually made me have a really good day for the first time in a while. I'd recommend maybe looking into asking your doctor about it?
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You say that you tend to binge on granola and stuff, so maybe you should stop buying it? Try rolled oats or something like that. I don't buy foods that I may binge on. I hope you'll feel better soon. :)