Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Tagging, for after my nap.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that study doesn't really prove anything. As the methodolgy used does not prove any causal link. All it does is muddy the water even more
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Title should be "Too much added sugar linked to heart disease"

From the article:
    The researchers focused on sugar added to processed foods or drinks, or sprinkled in coffee or cereal. Even foods that don't taste sweet have added sugar, including many brands of packaged bread, tomato sauce and salad dressing. Naturally occurring sugar, in fruit and some other foods, wasn't counted.

and
    Adults who got at least 25 percent of their calories from added sugar were almost three times more likely to die of heart problems than those who consumed the least - less than 10 percent.

I would think that people getting 25% of their total calories from added sugar alone would be deficient in many nutrients (both macro and micro).

ETA: Now I've piqued my curiosity and did some math, it would definitely be possible to meet your goals on a diet containing 25% added sugar if, other than the sugar, you are very carb-conscious. On a 2000 calorie diet, assuming 45% carbs, you would have 225g of carbs available. 25% of total calories becomes 125g of carbs, leaving 100g of carbs. But I also think that a person who would eat 25% of their calories from added sugar generally would not be the type of person who would watch their macros and micros that closely. I do understand that there are exceptions, and I wonder if they have a better statistical outcome (25% of calories from added sugars, but meet all macro and micro goals).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that study doesn't really prove anything. As the methodolgy used does not prove any causal link. All it does is muddy the water even more

QFT, useless study is useless.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I better throw up my banana!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Methodology is bad.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    i'd be interested in reading the actual publication, not CBS reporters' take on it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbPILshFPmNSnxx1vo5s5kMeyfmb9e_tisBPa0vVaasiFf0byrMQ
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I suppose...

In.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    In to read later. Maybe I'll read it while I eat my Caribbean coconut Talenti...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How so? How do you think a study to prove long term affects of added sugar should be done?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

How so? How do you think a study to prove long term affects of added sugar should be done?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2014/02/06/sweet-and-sour-the-media-decided-fructose-was-bad-for-america-but-science-had-second-thoughts/
  • bcattoes
    Options
    i'd be interested in reading the actual publication, not CBS reporters' take on it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24493081

I believe this is it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Yay another anti sugar thread.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In for sugar!
  • bcattoes
    Options

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2014/02/06/sweet-and-sour-the-media-decided-fructose-was-bad-for-america-but-science-had-second-thoughts/

??? I'm not sure how this answers my questions.

This is about the media telling us HFCS and fructose in general is bad. What does that have to do with this scientific study, other than the obvious that getting info from mainstream media and thinking it's accurate scientific information is a bad idea?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Sucrose, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, and Fructose, Their Metabolism and Potential Health Effects: What Do We Really Know?

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.long

Conclusions

So, what do we really know about the metabolism, endocrine responses, and health effects of sucrose, HFCS, and fructose? At present, we believe that the following conclusions are warranted. First, there is no unique relationship between HFCS and obesity. Second, there is broad scientific consensus that there are no significant metabolic or endocrine response differences or differences in health-related effects between HFCS and sucrose. Third, the metabolism and health effects of both HFCS and sucrose are different from those observed in studies that compare pure fructose with pure glucose, neither of which is consumed to any appreciable degree in the human diet. Fourth, recent randomized clinical trials have suggested that there are no adverse effects on total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol or HDL cholesterol at amounts ranging up to the 90th percentile level of fructose consumption, although other investigators have shown increases in cholesterol and/or LDL cholesterol in subjects consuming either sucrose or HFCS (66, 68–70), so further research studies are needed to clarify this issue. There is, however, a reliable increase in triglycerides from consumption of elevated levels of carbohydrates (particularly simple sugars), which merits further exploration.

Cox et al. (100) reported that fructose consumption at 25% of calories compared with glucose at 25% of calories acutely increased uric acid profiles. However, research in our laboratory comparing HFCS with sucrose yielded identical responses and no increases in acute levels of uric acid in either normal weight or obese women (101, 102). Moreover, a recently completed trial in our research laboratory in which individuals consumed up to 30% of calories (90th percentile population consumption level for fructose) over a 10-wk period did not show any increase in uric acid. Thus, the issue of whether increased fructose consumption results in increases in uric acid or blood pressure remains in dispute. It should be pointed out that Maersk et al. (69) reported increased visceral adipose tissue in response to 6 wk of consumption of 1 L/d of sucrose-sweetened cola. Increased visceral adipose tissue is an established risk factor for metabolic syndrome. However, research in our laboratory did not confirm these findings. Whether fructose consumption results in increased risk factors for metabolic syndrome also remains in dispute. Studies exploring whether fatty infiltration of the liver or muscle occurs in response to fructose consumption have produced disparate findings. Differences in duration of these studies (research studies varying in length from 4 to 10 wk) have not shown any increases in liver or muscle fatty infiltration in response to fructose consumption, whereas the Maersk et al. 6-mo study did show this phenomenon. This indicates that further research studies, perhaps of longer duration, are required to resolve this issue.

Taken together, these findings suggest that we must be very cautious when attributing adverse health consequences to the consumption of fructose, HFCS, or sucrose, particularly at normal population consumption levels. More randomized, controlled trials at normal levels of consumption using commonly consumed sugars are necessary to resolve these issues. In the meantime, it is important to recognize that scientific debates of this nature do not take place in a vacuum. These discussions have enormous potential to confuse and alarm the public, making the need to frame results with appropriate caution and minimize speculation imperative.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Out

PieSupernatural.gif
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

??? I'm not sure how this answers my questions.

This is about the media telling us HFCS and fructose in general is bad. What does that have to do with this scientific study, other than the obvious that getting info from mainstream media and thinking it's accurate scientific information is a bad idea?

The point was that science hasn't been able to confirm that sugar is the sole culprit of ailing health. The above article, and the HFCS studies are flawed in much the same way. If the entire diet isn't taken into consideration, the methodology is flawed. Saying sugar is the cause of heart disease in diets that are lacking in micronutrients is lazy.