Sugar linked to heart disease, even in thin folks

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When you have insulin resistance, it's not so simple as just calories in vs. calories out. When you have insulin resistance, it does matter where those calories come from 100 calories from Cocoa puffs, vs. 100 calories from an egg are not treated the same in your body.

But whatever. Forget research. Forget about individual metabolisms and physiological reactions to different macros. You all know it it all.

Why would you eat eggs, they are insulinogenic!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Wow, MFP peeps. You sure are a supportive bunch. Sorry I joined this place.

I'm sorry, did you want coddled and told you're a special snowflake who calories in vs out doesn't apply to? It's not true, so I guess my support is that I won't lie to you.

Perhaps she just wanted civility instead of sarcasm??

Eh. My civility is broken this morning. Chest cold and all.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    My issue is this...if someone is consuming 25% of their diet in added sugar, they're probably not meeting all of their nutrient requirements to begin with. To boot, they're likely over-consuming in general which leads to being over-fat which we know leads to numerous other medical conditions. Add to that, these individuals probably don't get much in the way of intentional exercise which is also a detriment to their health...all of these things are ignored and somehow sugar is isolated and linked to heart disease.

Is it the sugar, or is it the overwhelmingly ****ty diet and most probable lack of activity that should be linked to heart disease?

These things were not ignored in the study.

As far as I can see there is no mention at all of what the rest of these peoples diets consisted of...all it says is that it did take into account if they were overweight, etc.

I still say that if you're getting 25% of your calories from added sugar, your overall diet is to blame as you are quite likely not getting adequate nutrients. I think these things are far more complicated than X causes Y. I would like to see maybe a cross population with carefully controlled macros at that kind of sugar intake as well as regular exercise and normal body weights and see what the results are.

Again, I think these things are overwhelmingly attributable to overall dietary and fitness lifestyles...and again, I have a really hard time believing someone getting 25% of their intake from added sugar has any as semblance of a balanced or nutritious diet.

The study does NOT say X causes Y. It doesn't say anything causes anything. It does, however say that they accounted for diet.

I would be willing to bet you are never going to see a long term study with carefully controlled macros. Any long term study is going to use survey data or a study group so small and specific that the results would be useless. It's impossible to find a large group of people representing enough different cohorts of population who are willing to have their diet carefully controlled and montiored for years.

Good thing self reported data is remotely accurate, oh wait...

Do you have proof that it is not remotely accurate?
    Have you ever seen a FFQ. Maybe google it.
  • Acg67
    Options
    My issue is this...if someone is consuming 25% of their diet in added sugar, they're probably not meeting all of their nutrient requirements to begin with. To boot, they're likely over-consuming in general which leads to being over-fat which we know leads to numerous other medical conditions. Add to that, these individuals probably don't get much in the way of intentional exercise which is also a detriment to their health...all of these things are ignored and somehow sugar is isolated and linked to heart disease.

Is it the sugar, or is it the overwhelmingly ****ty diet and most probable lack of activity that should be linked to heart disease?

As far as I can see there is no mention at all of what the rest of these peoples diets consisted of...all it says is that it did take into account if they were overweight, etc.

I still say that if you're getting 25% of your calories from added sugar, your overall diet is to blame as you are quite likely not getting adequate nutrients. I think these things are far more complicated than X causes Y. I would like to see maybe a cross population with carefully controlled macros at that kind of sugar intake as well as regular exercise and normal body weights and see what the results are.

Again, I think these things are overwhelmingly attributable to overall dietary and fitness lifestyles...and again, I have a really hard time believing someone getting 25% of their intake from added sugar has any as semblance of a balanced or nutritious diet.

The study does NOT say X causes Y. It doesn't say anything causes anything. It does, however say that they accounted for diet.

I would be willing to bet you are never going to see a long term study with carefully controlled macros. Any long term study is going to use survey data or a study group so small and specific that the results would be useless. It's impossible to find a large group of people representing enough different cohorts of population who are willing to have their diet carefully controlled and montiored for years.

Yes, I already posted it in response to you earlier in this thread
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Excess refine sugar intake, particularly through the consumption of sugar sweetened beverages has also been linked to increased risk of diabetes irrespective of body fatness as well.

As a public policy point then it is perhaps a good idea that the general population are told to keep an eye on sugar intake as well as those with a medical conditions. However, somewhere like here where people are controlling their calories and ensuring their nutritional needs are being met it is less of an issue.

Horses for courses as they say.
  • Acg67
    Options

Also here are some more in addition to what I already posted

Discrepancy between Self-Reported and Actual Caloric Intake and Exercise in Obese Subjects

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701

Is Obesity Caused by Calorie Underestimation? A Psychophysical Model of Meal Size Estimation

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/CalorieUnderestimation-JMR2007.pdf
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Why would you be sorry to join a site that has tools to log your nutrition and exercise and has helped so many? You're only hurting yourself.

Yeah, this site has plenty of tools. :wink:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    When you have insulin resistance, it's not so simple as just calories in vs. calories out. When you have insulin resistance, it does matter where those calories come from 100 calories from Cocoa puffs, vs. 100 calories from an egg are not treated the same in your body.

But whatever. Forget research. Forget about individual metabolisms and physiological reactions to different macros. You all know it it all.
    Calories are a measurement of energy. No matter what you do, 100 calories can never give you more energy than 100 calories. It could give you less, if you can't digest the food containing the 100 calories properly, but never, EVER, more than that.
    Individual metabolisms, unless you have an actual, diagnosable disorder, fluctuate by a few hundred calories, tops. That's why you're supposed to subtract from your TDEE (which is your estimated metabolism, in case you didn't know), to lose weight at an approximate rate, even if your actual TDEE is 50 calories off from the calculated one. And if the fluctuation is bigger than that, then you subtract a little more and see if in 2 weeks you're still not losing weight.
    It's not rocket science. Your body uses up a certain amount of calories, if you eat less than that your body uses your reserves to make up for it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Discrepancy between Self-Reported and Actual Caloric Intake and Exercise in Obese Subjects

Is Obesity Caused by Calorie Underestimation? A Psychophysical Model of Meal Size Estimation

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/CalorieUnderestimation-JMR2007.pdf

And you consider these "proof" and the study on added sugar's relationship to CVD death flawed?
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    Will read this after I eat a box of fruity pebbles and chase it down with a 32 oz glass of strawberry quick.

Fred_fruity_box.jpg

Then after that, as a snack. Strawberry flavored Kit Kats

kitkat-strawberry.jpg

Oh, lookie there. Apparently its only available in an Asian country where obesity and heart disease is totally running rampant. These should be pulled off the shelves ASAP for those poor people do not know the evil that sugar is.
  • Acg67
    Options

And you consider these "proof" and the study on added sugar's relationship to CVD death flawed?

If the underlying data used is questionable, the conclusion likely will be as well.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0076632

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37918/title/Opinion--A-Wolf-in-Sheep-s-Clothing/
  • bcattoes
    Options

If the underlying data used is questionable, the conclusion likely will be as well.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37918/title/Opinion--A-Wolf-in-Sheep-s-Clothing/

So, why do you suppose that the world's top nutrition scientists continue to not only use this method, but consider it valid, as do their peers? And what you would suggest as an alternative?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of the "calories in vs. calories out" oversimplification, as if obese people who struggle to lose weight are lazy, stupid idiots.

For some people, it just doesn't work that way.

Read this. I'm similar to cluster C. http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/12/10/jennifer-sygo-losing-weight-is-not-as-simple-as-calories-in-calories-out-as-we-may-all-have-different-rates-of-shedding-pounds/

I have gone from 210 to 175 pounds and about 11-12% body fat using calories in vs calories out....that has worked for me for the past seven years...along with lifting heavy....so yes, it does work that way.

It is basic math and thermodynamics...eat more, gain weight; eat less; lose weight...I know you may think that you are beyond these basic principles but you are not ...

even someone that is diabetic/has insulin sensitivity issues will lose weight if they eat less then they need to maintain...It just may take them longer to do so, given said medical conditions..
  • Acg67
    Options

So, why do you suppose that the world's top nutrition scientists continue to not only use this method, but consider it valid, as do their peers? And what you would suggest as an alternative?

I hope you're not referring to Willet when you say top scientists. Perhaps to continue getting grants?
  • bcattoes
    Options

I hope you're not referring to Willet when you say top scientists. Perhaps to continue getting grants?

Well, he is the world's most cited scientist, and one of (if not the) most respected by peers, but he is not the only one doing these type of studies.

Grant money could explain why they are done, but not why they are taken seriously by the scientific community. Why do you think that is?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Well, he is the world's most cited scientist, and one of (if not the) most respected by peers, but he is not the only one doing these type of studies.

Grant money could explain why they are done, but not why they are taken seriously by the scientific community. Why do you think that is?

So what would happen if they agreed the underlying data was crappy? And furthermore how many things have epidemiologists hypothesized that when actually tested was shown to be untrue?
  • bcattoes
    Options

So what would happen if they agreed the underlying data was crappy? And furthermore how many things have epidemiologists hypothesized that when actually tested was shown to be untrue?

First quest: They would say so and that the study was flawed, yet they don't. They cite the limitations of the study but say it is a good study and useful data. Why do you think that is?

Sec quest: I don't know, I would imagine many since reviews of studies usually produce several different hypotheses, all of which can’t possibly be true.
  • Acg67
    Options

First quest: They would say so and that the study was flawed, yet they don't. They cite the limitations of the study but say it is a good study and useful data. Why do you think that is?

Sec quest: I don't know, I would imagine many since reviews of studies usually produce several different hypotheses, all of which can’t possibly be true.

House of cards, if they admit that their dataset is inaccurate, the whole thing starts to crumble
  • bcattoes
    Options

House of cards, if they admit that their dataset is inaccurate, the whole thing starts to crumble

So what? The nutrition scientific community is in some conspiracy to proved inaccurate data to protect their "house of cards"?