Sugar linked to heart disease, even in thin folks

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you have heart disease in your family, you should especially think about limiting sugar in your diet.

If someone is obese, the reality is they need to limit pretty much *everything* in their diet.

Gee, thanks for the tip.

You're very welcome! You seem to be struggling with some pretty basic concepts, which isn't uncommon at MFP, so I'm glad I was able to help.

Good luck!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Cutaneous markers of heart disease-- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998827/

Fascinating read. Thanks for posting this.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My father died at 48, my grandfather died before I was born in his 50's, and my great grandfather also died of sudden cardiac arrest in his 50's. Three generations of sudden cardiac death.

So, heart disease research is something I take seriously.

Hoping to beat my genetics.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that study doesn't really prove anything. As the methodolgy used does not prove any causal link. All it does is muddy the water even more
    Does added sugar as a percentage of caloric intake have deleterious effects on health markers? That's probably the easier question and I suspect that there will be RCT's, I suspect, I haven't checked, and I also suspect that it does have deleterious effects on health markers.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It relates to heart disease. And sugar intake relates to cutaneous signs of CAD.

I understand that the link relates cutaneous signs in some populations to heart disease, but I don't see where sugar intake causes cutaneous markers.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It relates to heart disease. And sugar intake relates to cutaneous signs of CAD.

I understand that the link relates cutaneous signs in some populations to heart disease, but I don't see where sugar intake causes cutaneous markers.

Cutaneous markers for heart disease are also generally related to insulin resistance and diabetes. It's all related and the common link to both is sugar.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Did not read article, but I must be a rarity. Age 19 to present (52), between military and tractor trailer driving I've averaged appx 5lbs of sugar a month in coffee. No health issues yet. Recent lab work showed all levels ok. Aside from junk food, my weight has preety much been low 160 range.

Besides, based on so many other studies done, it's a wonder the vast majority of people are alive today. Just another read to take with a grain of salt, imo.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Cutaneous markers for heart disease are also generally related to insulin resistance and diabetes. It's all related and the common link to both is sugar.

Correlation does not equal causation. You can't make leaps like that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for more sugar demonizing….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    next at 4:30 …water linked to drowning…stop swimming...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I will never stop my midnight skinny dips! Dream killer
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I love how they say they don't count "fruit sugar" but "added sugar" was only counted..

At the molecular level your body breaks down all sugars the same ….This is like saying smoking cigarettes is linked to lung cancer, but you can smoke tobacco out of a pipe and be fine….good freaking lord...
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Oooo! And mopping! Thanks for the excuse to get out of doing that!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

you should probably avoid baths and showers too...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun if for once someone fit and healthy would jump on the sugar is evil bandwagon
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    OP, I sure hope you DO live a long, full life. Do I think you should pursue a diet full of nutrient-rich foods and eating in moderation? Absolutely.
    But fear mongering sugar won't help anyone.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

you should probably avoid baths and showers too...

What about a sponge bath?
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I think it would be fun if for once someone fit and healthy would jump on the sugar is evil bandwagon
    Isn't that wall-walker chick pretty fit?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    I love how they say they don't count "fruit sugar" but "added sugar" was only counted..

At the molecular level your body breaks down all sugars the same ….This is like saying smoking cigarettes is linked to lung cancer, but you can smoke tobacco out of a pipe and be fine….good freaking lord...
    Here's the caveat. The demographic that admitted to consuming 25% of their calories from added sugar would more than likely also have a diet very high in refined carbs, processed and fast food and dare say the most unhealthy percentile of the SAD. Anytime anyone wants to demonize any food that's the place to start, it'll always look like a win when you design your hypothesis around a preconceived event where the grey areas make you look like a champ.