Options

Replies

• shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    rerack_your_weights_tshirt.jpg?height=225&width=225
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Also, my gym has "Gym Etiquette" posters all round on the walls even explaining the order to rack them and folk STILL don't.. Thank god I only use dumb bells
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Awwwww ... the person who was in the wrong got their feelings hurt. Too bad.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    PLEASE JOIN MY GYM!

Seriously it's a fracking epidemic. Some puny people like me can't even lift the plates that some of these brainless types leave behind.

I had to ask someone to help me unload the bar yesterday because it had eleventy thousand pounds on it.

You're like gym batman. I <3 you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I find it comical there are threads on this site every day about newbies that lack self confidence being afraid to go to the gym and people rush to assure them that it's a great idea and no one will bother them. Now we have a thread where someone is loudly barking at a gym newbie to rack her 2.5 and 5 lb weights and being applauded for being an "enforcer" of the weight room. I'm with you on people should rack their own weights, but there's a right way to instruct someone about proper gym etiquette.

I'm with you, but what does being a "newbie" have to do with knowing enough to pickup after yourself?

Because not all newbies are up to speed on proper gym etiquette. Most are clueless. Moreover, people not racking their weights is so common that after having to unload other people's weights over and over, it's possible she thought this was standard gym procedure. I'm not saying that excuses the behavior, but it's certainly possible she was just ignorant as to proper gym etiquette having only joined in January and I don't see a need to bark at someone for being an ignorant newbie (and I don't mean that in an insulting way). I guess in short, I'd give a newbie the benefit of the doubt that she just didn't know any better versus she was intentionally being an *kitten*.

We learn how to "put your toys away" in preschool. It's not just proper gym etiquette, it's proper life etiquette.

Show me a gym that doesn't have something on the wall about rules for the facility that doesn't include re-racking weights, or even separate wall literature about re-racking, and you most likely have shown me the first one.

I've never noticed signs saying anything like that at my gym? Then again, I don't really pay attention to signage. Lol!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    PLEASE JOIN MY GYM!

Seriously it's a fracking epidemic. Some puny people like me can't even lift the plates that some of these brainless types leave behind.

I had to ask someone to help me unload the bar yesterday because it had eleventy thousand pounds on it.

You're like gym batman. I <3 you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: @eleventy thousand
  • TOO funny! I believe there is such a thing called gym etiquette, if you can't get with it, get lost in my opinion!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Bravo! I'd wear the title of "Gym Bully" with pride. Obviously since nobody else called you a "bully" there, your choice of having her rack her own weights was well received. If she chooses to see you as a bully for reminding her to do the right thing, then so be it!
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would rather rack her weights than the meathead benching 315 and leaving it on the bar. Of course no one would say anything to him! (including me).
  • slimmerang
    slimmerang Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I can't believe how many people think the weight rack themselves! Complete peeve of mine! Keep up the good work Bully!!!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    TOO funny! I believe there is such a thing called gym etiquette, if you can't get with it, get lost in my opinion!

That's not the point. The point is that he screamed at her which caused everyone in the gym to turn and look at her. Not only that but he "stared her down" while he pointed to the equipment. There was obviously a better way (read: polite) to go about this.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she was embarrassed. You couldn't just asks her politely w/o yelling?
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i agree
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she was embarrassed. You couldn't just asks her politely w/o yelling?

This or just report it to management to have them handle the issue if it's a real problem.
    jeff-bridges-youre-not-wrong.png
  • dorsie50
    Options
    It is sad that the real trouble makers want to use "Bully" as the new defense for bad behavior. Good for you for standing up to the real problem.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    TOO funny! I believe there is such a thing called gym etiquette, if you can't get with it, get lost in my opinion!

That's not the point. The point is that he screamed at her which caused everyone in the gym to turn and look at her. Not only that but he "stared her down" while he pointed to the equipment. There was obviously a better way (read: polite) to go about this.

He screamed? Nice embellishment of the story to make a pseudo-point.

SHE was in the wrong (apparently a frequent occurrence for her) and got called on it. Tough. It's not like he took the plates off and dropped them on her mini Ipad while she was on her next exercise.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would rather rack her weights than the meathead benching 315 and leaving it on the bar. Of course no one would say anything to him! (including me).

I would and have. I ain't a'scurred of no muscles.

I mean, what can he really say to a 110lb woman who can't move the sh** they leave behind?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Sometimes kid gloves aren't appropriate. She was being repeatedly selfish, rude, and obnoxious, and yes, while he COULD have said, "I beg your pardon miss, would you be ever so kind as to re-rack your weights now that your are finished with the equipment?" For those of us who see this day-in and day-out at our gym, it gets OLD. She also probably won't repeat her behavior now that she got schooled.
    I absolutely believe in justified shaming of people who act rudely and selfishly and put others out by their behaviors. Calling people out isn't nice, but it's called accountability.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've had to ask for help racking other people's weights who leave them on the bars and walk away because I'm scared I'll drop it. People are generally nice and help me =) So good for you!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

He screamed? Nice embellishment of the story to make a pseudo-point.

SHE was in the wrong (apparently a frequent occurrence for her) and got called on it. Tough. It's not like he took the plates off and dropped them on her mini Ipad while she was on her next exercise.

When someone raises their voice to the point where "everyone turned and looked" that is screaming IMO.

Again, there was no need for what he did. There are other ways to accomplish things, like, oh I don't know, being nice? Perhaps saying "excuse me, but would you mind racking the weights? In case you didn't know it is gym policy to re-rack after you're done. Thanks!"

There is no need to be rude and obnoxious to anyone period. He's the reason why a lot of women are scared of the weight room.