Paleo = dying young?

Options
Eat like the cave men huh? Conflicted I Be!

Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet, but some believe cavemen didnt live long because of all the high fatty meats they ate caused early deaths because of the cholesterol.

I think it be another fad. Look at Atkins....sure it helped, but was it a healthy life style change? Leaning more towards NO!

Replies

• fitlass76
    Options
    People are really thinking cavemen had a shorter life expectancy due to their lack of rice?
    And not the fact that there were no doctors, hospitals, basic medicines or any type of medical care, for anything from childbirth to infections to animal bites, falls and injuries?
    Hmmmm...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet...

Cavemen ate grains.

What they didn't eat was pastured cows.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Paleo = living tens of thousands to millions of years ago.

You can't eat like they did. You can't live like they did.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Nobody really knows what was eaten and how in the palaeolithic period. We know there was a lack of grains, but there's nothing to suggest the diet was predominantly meat over predominantly vegetables. Diet was dictated by opportunity, it's highly likely there were entire seasons where there was no vegetation and/or no meat.

The truth is that the human body has evolved to be extremely good at negating deficiencies and overconsumption. All of these studies saying you'll die if you eat too much of this or that or not enough of the other are alarmist nonsense.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a gimmick and there's nothing inherently healthier about it.
  • mattowan
    mattowan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only thing we know with certainty is that they didn't eat processed food. Stick with real, organic, pastured (they didn't have factory farms either) food and you will be fine.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yup, what Mattowan said.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Stick with real, organic, pastured (they didn't have factory farms either) food and you will be fine.

Why?
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a gimmick and there's nothing inherently healthier about it.
    The myplate and food pyramids is a gimmick.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    The real question is, what did our ancient Annunaki overloads feed our ancestors.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    "I want to live hard, die young, and have a great looking corpse"

-I have no idea, and it probably isn't even an accurate quote anyway.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's not a fad for some. People do it because of diseases like Hashimoto's.
  • caminoslo
    Options
    Eat like the cave men huh? Conflicted I Be!

Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet, but some believe cavemen didnt live long because of all the high fatty meats they ate caused early deaths because of the cholesterol.

I think it be another fad. Look at Atkins....sure it helped, but was it a healthy life style change? Leaning more towards NO!
    Well if these are gimicks keep doing what your doing cause more people are getting unhealthy
    Modern medcine + paleo = win win situation
    American food pyramid or my food plate= this is why you are on a diet/exersize and this is why we have an obesity epidemic.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the Paleo diet just rated the worst diet?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It's not a fad for some. People do it because of diseases like Hashimoto's.

Not sure what Paleo has to do with Hashimoto's. A diet appropriate for Hashimoto's and Paleo are not synonymous, even if they're compatible.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    People are really thinking cavemen had a shorter life expectancy due to their lack of rice?
    And not the fact that there were no doctors, hospitals, basic medicines or any type of medical care, for anything from childbirth to infections to animal bites, falls and injuries?
    Hmmmm...

Well that's what we assume. I made an appointment to interview one, but he never showed...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    palaeolithic people didn't die from too much cholesterol from eating too much meat.

the reason the average age of death is lower than for modern people are as follows:

1. high infant mortality
    2. higher mortality from accidents etc (you try hunting large animals with palaeolithic weapons) and from not having any medicine (maybe there was a little herbal medicine but that's not going to significantly impact the death rate) which means if you get badly hurt or get ill there's no-one to save your life
    3..species of humans other than Homo sapiens had a naturally shorter lifespan, i.e. they reached sexual maturity at a youger age, reproduced younger, and were elderly at a younger age. this is determined by genes.., over time humans evolved a longer lifespan, most likely due to having to learn more in childhood as human culture became more complex

The palaeolithic diet (as in the actual foods that palaeolithic people really ate0 didn't increase or decrease their lifespan.

as for the pseudo-paleo diet of interet gurus... it's not based on palaeoanthropology or archaeological evidence
  • caminoslo
    Options
    By the way, gummy bears have no fats in but I wouldnt count of them as healthy.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Also: Paleothic people ate diets that were restricted by geography.

I find it funny that as a Northern European, on paleo I could eat bananas, tomatoes, peppers...all of which have been in our diet for 2 generations max but not peas, which have been in our diet for god knows how long (and even longer than that when you consider that the wild analogue of peas - vetches grow in the hedgerow and you can bet your *kitten* people ate 'em)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    1) 'cavemen' isn't really an accurate term
    2) ancient societies ate grains (up to 10,000 years ago)
    4) there was no 'one' diet. They just ate whatever was around.
    3) they probably weren't dying of heart disease. more likely it was starvation, infection, or getting trampled by a mammoth.

Everybody's wrong!