Paleo = dying young?

Options

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Maybe if we just replaced the word "Paleo" with "Natural/Unprocessed Food" diet it would keep people from attacking the concept?

But then no one would follow it. You can't market a restrictive diet without a catchy name.

You're eating a restrictive diet! Everyone on this site it! Just because we're not doing it your way, why does that upset you so much.

Maybe it's hug time????

Don't follow. My diet has no restrictions on which foods I may eat.

No but you're restricted on how much of your amazing range of food you can eat so therefore it's a restrictive diet, any diet with boundaries are!

Don't try to be logical. He's not a fan of the logic.

I think you may be the one that is not a fan of the logic. Seriously, let me spell it out for ya. He is NOT against people eating healthily. He is however not a fan of people claiming things without providing facts. He chooses to not restrict things from his diet but still eats at a deficit and he has lost a bunch of weight. He is not saying that any of ANYONES ways of doing things are wrong, he is simply stating that as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. He is absolutely correct unless of course you have a MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED CONDITION but I believe we talked about this before. Please go back and READ everything before replying. It will make things much easier on everyone. Thanks.

Okay by your very argument I now understand that primal is not a restrictive diet, restriction would imply you cannot eat something you want to eat. Once you're eating primal (and I suppose full blown paleo) you don't fancy food with doesn't have nutrition value to the levels you want, so therefore on primal you can eat what you want!

Basically you lose your addition to nutritionally deficient food.

Cool????

:huh: Cause thats what I said for sure!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    So tell me what nutritionally valuable food can you not eat on primal.

That's just it - if "Primal" means "eat whatever you want a quarter of the time", then there is no food, good or bad, that is off limits. Which means "Primal", defined in that way, is a meaningless concept.

Now, if you want to talk "Primal" the way a vegetarian talks "vegetarian", then there is a conversation to be had, because the label will actually mean something.

But if we're staying in 80/20 land...it doesn't mean a thing, and there's nothing really to talk about.

Okay take primal on face value assume that we must eat 100% by the book.

What nutritionally valuable food can we not eat?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Maybe if we just replaced the word "Paleo" with "Natural/Unprocessed Food" diet it would keep people from attacking the concept?

But then no one would follow it. You can't market a restrictive diet without a catchy name.

You're eating a restrictive diet! Everyone on this site it! Just because we're not doing it your way, why does that upset you so much.

Maybe it's hug time????

No but you're restricted on how much of your amazing range of food you can eat so therefore it's a restrictive diet, any diet with boundaries are!

I think you may be the one that is not a fan of the logic. Seriously, let me spell it out for ya. He is NOT against people eating healthily. He is however not a fan of people claiming things without providing facts. He chooses to not restrict things from his diet but still eats at a deficit and he has lost a bunch of weight. He is not saying that any of ANYONES ways of doing things are wrong, he is simply stating that as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. He is absolutely correct unless of course you have a MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED CONDITION but I believe we talked about this before. Please go back and READ everything before replying. It will make things much easier on everyone. Thanks.

Okay by your very argument I now understand that primal is not a restrictive diet, restriction would imply you cannot eat something you want to eat. nce you're eating primal (and I suppose full blown paleo) you don't fancy food with doesn't have nutrition value to the levels you want, so therefore on primal you can eat what you want!
    O

Cool????

So the poster that is Primal/Paleo and was following the diet 5/95% previously, but now eats Walmart cake and burgers, why would she start eating 20/80 (according to her) if she had lost her addiction to "nutritionally deficit " food?

It really seems that she found Primal/Paleo too restrictive and now eats more IIFYM.

Just like everybody recovering you can sometime fall off the wagon (I'm not saying that's the case) I can only really talk for myself.

You seem to know a lot about the diet.

Well, you used the word "you" not "I" in your statements (you don't fancy foods....you lose your addiction) so I took it to mean that you think these are facts these would apply to almost everyone.

There are any number of foods that are nutritionally valuable such as legumes, potatoes that are not part of a primal diet

There are even more foods which are very tasty which would not be part of a primal diet. Cake being one of them.

edit for typos
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's just it - if "Primal" means "eat whatever you want a quarter of the time", then there is no food, good or bad, that is off limits. Which means "Primal", defined in that way, is a meaningless concept.

Now, if you want to talk "Primal" the way a vegetarian talks "vegetarian", then there is a conversation to be had, because the label will actually mean something.

But if we're staying in 80/20 land...it doesn't mean a thing, and there's nothing really to talk about.

Quit trying to go for the setup where someone lists a food and then you can say why, according to the primal philosophy, it's not "nutritionally valuable."

"Nutritionally valuable" has no meaning. Move on with your life.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Maybe it's hug time????

Okay by your very argument I now understand that primal is not a restrictive diet, restriction would imply you cannot eat something you want to eat. Once you're eating primal (and I suppose full blown paleo) you don't fancy food with doesn't have nutrition value to the levels you want, so therefore on primal you can eat what you want!

Cool????

:huh: Cause thats what I said for sure!

All I'm saying is I chose not to restrict things from my diet.

So like Johnny I'm not on a restrictive diet. I've not looked at Johnny's diary but does he split his macros into percentages (if yes that's restricting his macro intake) restrictive diet!!!

By the way it was tongue in cheek - all diets are restrictive. Calorie counting definitely is.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Cool

tumblr_inline_mojfysppuk1qz4rgp.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Just like everybody recovering you can sometime fall off the wagon (I'm not saying that's the case) I can only really talk for myself.

But if you are no longer addicted, there is no wagon from which to fall. You simply stop craving it.

Since I went vegetarian (for moral reasons) I have completely stopped craving any food. I still eat foods I enjoy, but I never feel any kind of urge towards something specific and HAVE TO HAVE IT. I used to get that way.

So it seems to me that being vegetarian is a far better plan for kicking an "addiction" to certain foods than primal/paleo is.

And I never "slip" and eat meat. I haven't had it in nearly five years.

Hey don't push those veggies on me. I'm not forcing anyone to eat meat.????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    The point was that if paleo is the ultimate way to eat because one is emulating a caveman, then by all means truly eat like one and I'll take it more seriously.:laugh: I hear opinions like this in the gym daily, and people that do it aren't really any more fit or healthier than the ones that don't.
    One can EASILY get correct nutritional values daily eating food that is sold on the market today. Eating whole foods will achieve most of it.
    While I disagree with the OP title, since I know that health care has a lot to do with longevity, one doesn't need to eat paleo to ensure they are nutritionally fortifying themselves correctly.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

But if you are no longer addicted, there is no wagon from which to fall. You simply stop craving it.

Since I went vegetarian (for moral reasons) I have completely stopped craving any food. I still eat foods I enjoy, but I never feel any kind of urge towards something specific and HAVE TO HAVE IT. I used to get that way.

So it seems to me that being vegetarian is a far better plan for kicking an "addiction" to certain foods than primal/paleo is.

And I never "slip" and eat meat. I haven't had it in nearly five years.

Hey don't push those veggies on me. I'm not forcing anyone to eat meat.????

I'm not pushing it. I'm just pointing out that my diet seems to be far more effective than yours in overcoming "addiction."
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

So like Johnny I'm not on a restrictive diet. I've not looked at Johnny's diary but does he split his macros into percentages (if yes that's restricting his macro intake) restrictive diet!!!

There is a difference between restricting caloric intake and restricting what kinds of food you eat.

Having certain macro percentages doesn't eliminate ANY particular food from your diet.
  • jonnythan
    Options

By the way it was tongue in cheek - all diets are restrictive. Calorie counting definitely is.

All the verbal gymnastics in the world won't change the fact that my "diet" has zero disallowed foods and yours does not.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

IDEA Fitness member

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    The point was that if paleo is the ultimate way to eat because one is emulating a caveman, then by all means truly eat like one and I'll take it more seriously.:laugh: I hear opinions like this in the gym daily, and people that do it aren't really any more fit or healthier than the ones that don't.
    One can EASILY get correct nutritional values daily eating food that is sold on the market today. Eating whole foods will achieve most of it.
    While I disagree with the OP title, since I know that health care has a lot to do with longevity, one doesn't need to eat paleo to ensure they are nutritionally fortifying themselves correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

Who's saying it's the ultimate way to eat. It's a way of eating, it's not for everybody but it works. We all have a bias on the diets we do.

If you don't want to eat primal or paleo don't. No one is forcing you.

Unlike the PBS we accept other trails of thought.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

All the verbal gymnastics in the world won't change the fact that my "diet" has zero disallowed foods and yours does not.

It has 100% percent restriction on how much you can eat.

RESTRICTIVE DIET!!!!!!!!
  • jonnythan
    Options

RESTRICTIVE DIET!!!!!!!!

All this does is make you look petty. To lose weight you must restrict calories. You do not need to restrict specific foods.

"Restrictive diet" means "a diet that restricts the specific foods you are allowed to eat."

You already knew this, but for your sake we will pretend you didn't and you simply misunderstood the term.

Now that you have been explicitly told what "restrictive diet" means I hope you will stop this nonsense thread pollution.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

There is a difference between restricting caloric intake and restricting what kinds of food you eat.

Having certain macro percentages doesn't eliminate ANY particular food from your diet.

And primal doesn't restrict any macro nutrient from its diet.

Just like a calorie is a calorie - a restrictive diet is a restrictive diet!!????????✋
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

Ok I'll bite... bread.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ok I'll bite... bread.

Now he'll tell you why bread doesn't meet his definition of "nutritionally valuable."
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You're pulling 2-3 day weekend out of a longer period to mis-represent me. Pull the report from 1/1/2014 - current and your arguement is invalid.

Those days were certainly not representative of an 80/20 balance, but the rest of the year which you completely fail to mention is closer to a 95/5 balance. Seriously, stop mis-representing me. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I spend hours and hours each week cooking, prepping, storing, purchasing, eating Primal/Paleo foods and salads. I make 1-3 salads almost every single day, not because all I eat is candy and pizza, it's because when there's a party and a holiday I can induldge and not even feel remotely guilty because it's far from representative.

You're not proving any point at all by trash talking a few non-representative days of my diet.

I am kind of honored, however, that you pulled every single "%20" item in the last month to post here in the forum, which is fine, that's why my diary is open. I love beer and chocolate. I even love pizza even though I've only had it once this year, at my daughter's birthday party.

Pizza makes me sick. The sweets I can tolerate on a more regular basis. There's a lot of ice cream deserts in there, on top of salads, eggs, meat, veggies, tea etc etc etc I always eat throughout a normal day.

Either way, I don't need your approval to know I'm Paleo, although I consider myself more Primal because I do eat dairy. I wouldn't really concern yourself with the difference between Paleo and Primal, they're both very similar and it almost boils down to which asthetic (or gift wrap to your diet present) you find most appealing, in my personal opinion.

Oh, so you admit your diet for the past couple of weeks has been nothing remotely close to Paleo. Or Primal. You keep using the terms interchangeably so I'm not sure which one you think you're actually following.

I wonder if all the symptoms you talked about before have come back in the past month or so, since your diet has had so much chocolate, cake, booze, deep-fried foods, and fast food in that time period?

The entire point isn't that you're an idiot. As I've said, the foods you're eating are fine IMO. The point is that your "LIE" is not a lie. You're losing weight by eating less and moving more.

Name calling? That's really going to prove something!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

RESTRICTIVE DIET!!!!!!!!

Holy hell dude!! :yawn: Where is that cloud gif??
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

Ok I'll bite... bread.

Now he'll tell you why bread doesn't meet his definition of "nutritionally valuable."

Of course he will...