Paleo = dying young?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Also, contributors -- though I think the industrial revolution in the mid 1800s, the level of sedentary jobs hasn't increased at the same rate as obesity in this country. And a lot of those nutrient shallow, high calorie foods are filled with sugar substitutes and grain-based carbs. Coincidence?

Do you have data for that claim? What about when you factor in rises in TV viewing, video gaming, and computer use time?

Bottom line is that obesity has risen because people move less and eat more. People move less because jobs are more sedentary and indoor, sit-on-your-butt leisure activities such as HDTV and internet have increased. People eat more because calories are more delicious, more convenient, and cheaper now than they have ever been throughout human history.

There's no mystery here. It's not toxins or demon nutrients that are making people fat. It's sitting on your butt more and eating more. The solution therefore is, as always, to move more and eat less.

Ironically when people ask me how I lost so much weight, unless they are truly my friend and someone I care about I reply "Eat Less, Move More". I'm lying. I know I'm lying. I don't have time to talk to eveyone who asks about why I look so good in comparison to a couple years ago.

I really don't want to divulge how using MFP paired with Primal diet has cured cronic symptoms, given me more energy and the fat loss is icing on the cake of not being sick. Because they'll start trash talking calorie restriction and Paleo and telling me how much I inspired them in the same sentence.

So I don't. I give a white lie, that is mostly harmless, that I know isn't going to help anyone achieve a damn thing. "Eat less, Move more." My LIE. My LIE I tell people I hardly know or care about.

Think about that.

It's really my way of saying "I spent years figuring out what works for me. I'm not going to give you my secrets in a few sentences so you can look as good as me! Nope, the glory is mine and the journey is yours! I worked my *kitten* off to figure it out myself, so if you want it bad enough, you, grasshopper, will also find your way. Now I'm a very busy woman who needs to depart. Best of Luck to you."

"Eat less, Move more" It doesn't even mean anything. It's jargon. It's not going to help anyone.

(Edited for spelling.)

I edited my previous post to note that your diet doesn't look very Primal. I guess a large number of your individual meals or foods are, but.. what's the lie? You're losing weight by eating fewer calories and, presumably, exercising. You're counting calories and exercising while eating cake, peanut butter cups, beer, and 3 Musketeers bars. And the occasional McDouble with McNuggets. I guess without a bun the McDouble might be primal? Not sure, that cheese has a lot of ingredients that probably aren't. And the McNuggets are breaded. Maybe not. Pretty sure all the cake and candy bars aren't primal though. Oh, and Nachos Bell Grande! I love that stuff. Doubt it's Primal.

So ultimately you're losing weight by eating less, on a decidedly non-Primal diet, and moving more. So I'm not sure what the lie is.

Why don't you view my diary back from 1/1/2014 - current. I strive for 80/20 under my primal diet, sometimes I come close or better, other times not as much. I do beer as part of my Primal diet. But pretty much you're going to find a huge salad every day (or multiple), a meat a veggie dish for dinner, eggs, nuts, diary and tea.

You're not proving anything by calling out the %20 of my 80/20, except that Paleo can be fun because it's designed to allow for treats and cheats. Nevermind the fact that last weekend was Valentines day and my daughter's birthday which is a great reason to have your Primal cheat day!

Unlike your diary which shows something to the tune of 3,000+ calories of drive-thru a day, now that we're throwing stones.

So you're 20% non-Primal? Or was it 20% non-Paleo? It's clearly not even 20%. On 2/17 over half your calories came from cake with icing. The day before that: same thing. 500 calories of cake, Skittles, and Reese's PB Cups the previous day. On 2/15 you have over 1700 calories of liquor along with pizza, more Reese's cups, ranch dressing, and more cake. The day before that 10 McNuggets, a McDouble, Butterfinger, wine, chocolate candy. 2/13 a cupcake, a bacon cheeseburger from Wendy's, tartar sauce, and battered deep fried fast food fish.

Your diet is not even approaching Paleo or Primal. There's nothing wrong with candy bars and fast food and liquor.

You are grossly misrepresenting your diet if you think that all this stuff represents even 20% of your diet. It doesn't.

So in the end, the point is that you are losing weight by eating less and moving more. Primal has nothing to do with it, especially since your diet doesn't even approach anything that could be considered Primal. Or was it Paleo?

Dude what exactly do you know about the primal diet. You've not learnt everything there is to know about it by other members of the PBS have you?

Based on your last statement and amazement that someone on the primal diet has freedom to eat different things, clearly you need to do a bit more research.

Are you the CEO of mcdonalds? You clearly seem offended by people eating healthily!!????

haha you guys are ridiculous.... and whoever is diputing the validity of the 80/20 primal diet is right.... 80/20 is in no way even close to a primal diet - both of my parents live on the primal diet and you know what their cheat is?- A small corn tortilla once every few weeks because they are craving mexican food. I agree - you are grossly mis-representing your diet, but nice try. (also, he's right- primal is not paleo)

Your right but is is a style of paleo - big difference is on primal we love saturated fats (imagine that, eewwww who wants anything to do with saturated fat).

If your parents do primal I suggest you borrow there book. I'm sure Mark Sisson mentions something about aiming for 80/20 - but as a base marker ( we do try for healthier).
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    later
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Eat like the cave men huh? Conflicted I Be!

Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet, but some believe cavemen didnt live long because of all the high fatty meats they ate caused early deaths because of the cholesterol.

I think it be another fad. Look at Atkins....sure it helped, but was it a healthy life style change? Leaning more towards NO!

Cavemen didnt live long because they didnt have modern medicine and things that were supposed to kill them, actually killed them. As far as fat goes - dont eat so much red meat - problem solved. How can eating non-processed foods be wrong? Not a fad diet - a way of living. Also, go to the doctor and get your physical see where all your levels are - cholesterol and whatnot - then do paleo for 6 months, go back to the doctor and get your physical - i guarentee you that your bad cholesterol will be down, good cholestrol will be up, lowere blood pressure etc etc etc. you will be healthier and feel better.

at last check my levels were perfect and I do not do paleo....

I dont think i said your levels were bad, I just said they could be better - but whatever, if you want to believe that cavemen died of heartattacks because they ate too much fat - go right ahead.

I never said cavemen died from eating high fat foods...

I challenged your assertion that you have to be on a paleo diet to have good blood work ...

I am not on paleo, and my blood tests came back almost perfect...
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Uh...cavemen more likely died because of natural causes or lack of medical care (thanks Obama!) than high cholesterol. The fiber from all of the fruits and vegetables they ate likely cancelled out any cholesterol from the red meats.
    Cavemen didn't have agriculture so they weren't eating fruits and veggies in any significant quantities.

Hmmmm...fruits and vegetables didn't grow naturally? I don't believe primitive peoples were able to catch and kill large amounts of animals either...

omg you mean they didnt have slaughterhouses and farms back then? I thought that after man discovered fire, everything else just kinda popped up imediately.... weird. I'm surprised they were able to sustain themselves at all!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Maybe if we just replaced the word "Paleo" with "Natural/Unprocessed Food" diet it would keep people from attacking the concept?

But then no one would follow it. You can't market a restrictive diet without a catchy name.

You're eating a restrictive diet! Everyone on this site it! Just because we're not doing it your way, why does that upset you so much.

Maybe it's hug time????

I absolutely agree. I'm not saying that Paleo/Primal is the ONLY path up the mountain, but it's ONE of the legitimate paths up the mountain. I don't understand why some are so invested in trying to tear it down.
    Because it's unjustifiably restrictive for the vast majority of people and similar results can be had by just consuming more whole and minimal processed foods and/or reducing carbs. Is paleo unhealthy, hell no. I've researched this diet extensively over the last 4 or 5 years and I see no derogatory health events associated with it and when compared to a few healthier diet like the Med diet for example it has better glucose control and reduces TG's more efficiently and has more positive effects on lipid sub particle comparisons, HDL etc, it's squeaky healthy, but unless you haven't figured it out yet, most here are not referring to it's health properties.

Most are referring to it's biblical rise based on elimination of food groups that are not necessary and in the long run make it very difficult for adherence and long term success. And of course the irony as I see it is the sites that purpose to support the diet which doesn't actual resemble much of the anthropological data, but more of a designed platform that might offer good marketing and believability to then create a following and it probably wouldn't be as popular if the low carb diet wasn't being embraced as much as it is today. If someone is a carbaholic and a sugar concubine, then consume low carb.There's really no actual diet that comes close to representing the lifestyle of people 100,000 years ago......removing grain and veg oil and groking chin up bars is embarrassing if you ask me, especially if I wore the tee shirt. It's 100% marketing and getting bigger. imo
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Personally I've always considered paleo a decent way to eat but one that is justified by nonsensical reasons (cavemen? really?). I would look at it this way. Diets like paleo aren't magical, but at the same time you are unlikely to do yourself any harm if you get your macros/calories from whole foods and fresh meats and cutting out the majority of processed foods. I think the jury is still out on whether there are any side-effects to the processed food most of us eat these days, but I don't think you will go wrong opting for local, naturally grown products when they are available. It took a bit of searching to find the best farms/markets, but I've actually been quite pleased with the quality of local meats/vegetables in my area.

The problem comes when you start suggesting these diets work while other ways of achieving a caloric deficit don't. More likely what happened before was you thought you were achieving a caloric deficit when you actually were not. It's worth remembering that people are different and their bodies respond differently to different distributions of macronutrient intake and even to specific foods. While you may think you're eating a caloric deficit based on your food log (which is never 100% accurate) and your estimated TDEE (also never 100% accurate), that's different than eating an actual caloric deficit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're pulling 2-3 day weekend out of a longer period to mis-represent me. Pull the report from 1/1/2014 - current and your arguement is invalid.

Those days were certainly not representative of an 80/20 balance, but the rest of the year which you completely fail to mention is closer to a 95/5 balance. Seriously, stop mis-representing me. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I spend hours and hours each week cooking, prepping, storing, purchasing, eating Primal/Paleo foods and salads. I make 1-3 salads almost every single day, not because all I eat is candy and pizza, it's because when there's a party and a holiday I can induldge and not even feel remotely guilty because it's far from representative.

You're not proving any point at all by trash talking a few non-representative days of my diet.

I am kind of honored, however, that you pulled every single "%20" item in the last month to post here in the forum, which is fine, that's why my diary is open. I love beer and chocolate. I even love pizza even though I've only had it once this year, at my daughter's birthday party.

Pizza makes me sick. The sweets I can tolerate on a more regular basis. There's a lot of ice cream deserts in there, on top of salads, eggs, meat, veggies, tea etc etc etc I always eat throughout a normal day.

Either way, I don't need your approval to know I'm Paleo, although I consider myself more Primal because I do eat dairy. I wouldn't really concern yourself with the difference between Paleo and Primal, they're both very similar and it almost boils down to which asthetic (or gift wrap to your diet present) you find most appealing, in my personal opinion.

Oh, so you admit your diet for the past couple of weeks has been nothing remotely close to Paleo. Or Primal. You keep using the terms interchangeably so I'm not sure which one you think you're actually following.

I wonder if all the symptoms you talked about before have come back in the past month or so, since your diet has had so much chocolate, cake, booze, deep-fried foods, and fast food in that time period?

The entire point isn't that you're an idiot. As I've said, the foods you're eating are fine IMO. The point is that your "LIE" is not a lie. You're losing weight by eating less and moving more.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options

Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet, but some believe cavemen didnt live long because of all the high fatty meats they ate caused early deaths because of the cholesterol.

I think it be another fad. Look at Atkins....sure it helped, but was it a healthy life style change? Leaning more towards NO!

Cavemen didnt live long because they didnt have modern medicine and things that were supposed to kill them, actually killed them. As far as fat goes - dont eat so much red meat - problem solved. How can eating non-processed foods be wrong? Not a fad diet - a way of living. Also, go to the doctor and get your physical see where all your levels are - cholesterol and whatnot - then do paleo for 6 months, go back to the doctor and get your physical - i guarentee you that your bad cholesterol will be down, good cholestrol will be up, lowere blood pressure etc etc etc. you will be healthier and feel better.

I dont think i said your levels were bad, I just said they could be better - but whatever, if you want to believe that cavemen died of heartattacks because they ate too much fat - go right ahead.

I challenged your assertion that you have to be on a paleo diet to have good blood work ...

so you misread what I wrote then? I didnt have to say you had to do paleo to have good blood work - i dont do paleo and mine is fine - i just said that if you were to do paleo - the blood work would be better....and its true.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

so you misread what I wrote then? I didnt have to say you had to do paleo to have good blood work - i dont do paleo and mine is fine - i just said that if you were to do paleo - the blood work would be better....and its true.
    Prove it is true that his blood work would be better.................
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

how can my blood work be better if it is already perfect?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OMG! I'm switching to paleo NOW. I always wanted to be psychic!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    No point in eating paleo. We can never get it 100% accurate like them. Some of the things they ate no longer exist. It's more of a 'Sort of paleolithic' diet.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Maybe if we just replaced the word "Paleo" with "Natural/Unprocessed Food" diet it would keep people from attacking the concept?

But then no one would follow it. You can't market a restrictive diet without a catchy name.

You're eating a restrictive diet! Everyone on this site it! Just because we're not doing it your way, why does that upset you so much.

Maybe it's hug time????

I absolutely agree. I'm not saying that Paleo/Primal is the ONLY path up the mountain, but it's ONE of the legitimate paths up the mountain. I don't understand why some are so invested in trying to tear it down.
    Because it's unjustifiably restrictive for the vast majority of people and similar results can be had by just consuming more whole and minimal processed foods and/or reducing carbs. Is paleo unhealthy, hell no. I've researched this diet extensively over the last 4 or 5 years and I see no derogatory health events associated with it and when compared to a few healthier diet like the Med diet for example it has better glucose control and reduces TG's more efficiently and has more positive effects on lipid sub particle comparisons, HDL etc, it's squeaky healthy, but unless you haven't figured it out yet, most here are not referring to it's health properties.

Most are referring to it's biblical rise based on elimination of food groups that are not necessary and in the long run make it very difficult for adherence and long term success. And of course the irony as I see it is the sites that purpose to support the diet which doesn't actual resemble much of the anthropological data, but more of a designed platform that might offer good marketing and believability to then create a following and it probably wouldn't be as popular if the low carb diet wasn't being embarrassed as much as it is today. If someone is a carbaholic and a sugar concubine, then consume low carb.There's really no actual diet that comes close to representing the lifestyle of people 100,000 years ago......removing grain and veg oil and groking chin up bars is embarrassing if you ask me, especially if I wore the tee shirt. It's 100% marketing and getting bigger. imo

Now, now Neaderthin you admitted the other day you've never done the diet. So how can you comment on how restrictive it is.

Okay pop quiz - what essential food can you not eat on a primal diet?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I told you that it was a 700+ daily deficit as an average -- that's data. Showing you further underlying data supporting that is not necessary unless you don't believe it.

Let me make it clear: I do not believe that you were eating an average 700+ calorie daily deficit and not losing weight.

That's at least honest. Believe it or not. I lived it, so I know it to be true. Talk to others that have hypothyroid or insulin resistance issues and you'll find it to be pretty darn common. In fact, you'll far more extreme examples than just 700+ average daily calorie deficit.

I believe in his original statement he said to provide him with said data in 2 people that did not have any diagnosed medical conditions. I am no doctor, however Hypothyroid or insulin resistance sound like medical conditions to me. No?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

You might be one of those awesome people that can get away with a lot. But, if you give it a try, you may see even better results. There are some elite athletes who even saw better results going Paleo. It's a possibility...
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Paleo is a healthy lifestyle. I personally have never felt better on any other diet (and I've tried my share even the "everything in moderation" one) and I find it very satisfying. Certain people just get very enraged at the thought of giving up certain foods so they want to call a certain lifestyle bad. end of story.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    No point in eating paleo. We can never get it 100% accurate like them. Some of the things they ate no longer exist. It's more of a 'Sort of paleolithic' diet.

Here's the thing peeps, the concept of paleo / primal (I'm speaking mainly from primal side), it's based on eating on assumptions of how we have evolved to eat over the 2.5 million years we've been around.

It's healthy and it works - and as someone eluded to earlier calling it primal or paleo is a handy tag (it's called branding).

Don't get too hung up on the fact we eat modern food, were modern cavemen ????
  • neanderthin
    Options

Maybe it's hug time????

Most are referring to it's biblical rise based on elimination of food groups that are not necessary and in the long run make it very difficult for adherence and long term success. And of course the irony as I see it is the sites that purpose to support the diet which doesn't actual resemble much of the anthropological data, but more of a designed platform that might offer good marketing and believability to then create a following and it probably wouldn't be as popular if the low carb diet wasn't being embarrassed as much as it is today. If someone is a carbaholic and a sugar concubine, then consume low carb.There's really no actual diet that comes close to representing the lifestyle of people 100,000 years ago......removing grain and veg oil and groking chin up bars is embarrassing if you ask me, especially if I wore the tee shirt. It's 100% marketing and getting bigger. imo

Now, now Neaderthin you admitted the other day you've never done the diet. So how can you comment on how restrictive it is.

Okay pop quiz - what essential food can you not eat on a primal diet?
    lol, you got me there. My primal friends just hang around my table a lot looking for left over pizza crusts so I just assumed they wanted some.......i told them I wouldn't tell anyone too, but I still didn't give them any. :happy:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    Ninerbuff doesn't need to prove anything to nayone and so far your contributions are meh. lol

No one needs to prove anything. I'm just asking for logical statements. Disagree all you want. But saying something totally nonsensical is stupid. Tomatoes are red. True, but who cares?

And I'm sure Ninerbuff is a big boy and can fight his own battles if he chooses to do so.

what did he say that was illogical?

He simply pointed out that a "paleo lifestyle" should involve all aspects of how said paleo people lived. Are you saying that cavemen drank treated water or had Aquafina?

I disagree with this.

People like to latch on to the name of the diet and then assume that it means the entirety of their lifestyle. It's as if the Adkins diet had been called the Inuit diet and then people pointed out the apparent hypocrisy in that its adherents weren't wearing parkas.

Arguing it means more than it purports to mean because of its (unfortunate) name is a red herring to the otherwise solid arguments based on science.
  • neanderthin
    Options

The basic makeup of the diet will generally improve lipid profiles for the most part, but it has less to do with paleo and more to do with the lack of carboydrates, especially the refined kind.