250 calories per day on chocolate?

Options
Is it acceptable to eat 250 calories worth of chocolate per day when you are trying to lose weight, as long as you are still in your calorie limit? I have tried to have just one small piece or swap it for dark but it just isnt working and i keep failing! I was reading somewhere that eating chocolate or other junk food is really bad for weight loss as a calorie is not just a calorie, but i always thought it didn't matter in terms of weight loss as long as you are at a calorie deficit. Have any of you had chocolate daily and managed to use a significant amount of weight? I have 100 pounds to lose and chocolate is my nemesis

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yep! Eat that chocolate. As long as you can fit it into your daily caloric and macro goals (if you're paying attention to macros, which I would recommend), then you can ABSOLUTELY eat the chocolate and still be successful at losing weight!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what matters. I have chocolate, cookies, ice cream, most successful people on here do too. Chocolate is just fine.

Rigger
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can literally eat whatever you want, just maintain your calorie deficit.

I have ice cream every single day. Hasn't hindered my loss one bit.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is necessary for survival. Not mine, everyone else's...

Eat it, savor it, log it, carry no shame about it.
  • twinklemcgee
    twinklemcgee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Be careful of your fat and sugar intake too! You might be within your calorie target, but if you are significantly over your fat and sugar intake on a regular basis you probably won't see the results.

Do you like jelly? I have a very sweet tooth, but find that I can keep it happy with a portion of sugar-free jelly after lunch - and it's only 8 calories!! Alternatively, have you tried looking at chocolate mousse type desserts? They often stave my chocolate cravings. Cadbury Pots of Joy are really smooth and chocolatey and only 170 calories (so a fair amount less than the 250 you're proposing!) or Aero Mousse which are a bit richer, and a bit bigger, are around 95 calories each! I often have an aero mousse for "dessert" or mid-evening snack when I find myself getting chocolate cravings. Then I save the good stuff for special occasions!

Good luck xxx
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb and should be treated as such...

A good macronutrient ratio would be 40/40/20 for carbs/proteins/fats. Eating fat is essential to body functions, and being afraid of sugar without a medical reason is silly.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Then I save the good stuff for special occasions!

<<<FULL STOP>>> Twinkle, Twinkle... dear Twinkle... What's this about saving the good stuff?!? QUALITY over quantity. Girlfriend, you and I need a little theobromine therapy. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

So that's why my wife eats chocholate. I just thought she had a sweet tooth.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate almost every day.

I buy these bars of dark chocolate which are 25 grams and about 150 calories each.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Be careful of your fat and sugar intake too! You might be within your calorie target, but if you are significantly over your fat and sugar intake on a regular basis you probably won't see the results.

This is not a factual statement, fat and sugar won't make you gain weight unless there is a surplus.

Rigger
  • Dewymorning
    Options

She is saving your life and your sanity.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your micronutrients and hitting your macro goals. Then eat all the chocolate.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your micronutrients and hitting your macro goals. Then eat all the chocolate.

Dark chocolate contains some good micronutrients like iron.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options

This is not a factual statement, fat and sugar won't make you gain weight unless there is a surplus.

Rigger

There is a little truth to her statement, but only when you are on the extremely lean side already (sub 10% on men). for the vast majority of people this is not the case.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Dark chocolate contains some good micronutrients like iron.

And potassium.

When I first started losing weight a year ago, my husband made a snide comment about my "diet chocolate." I turned to him and, with a completely ingenious look, said, "I need to work on my potassium."

Of course, losing 40 pounds has only made that story better.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    It is very easy to eat 250 calories of chocolate. It is okay to eat 250 calories of anything if you meet macros and are in deficit.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options

She is saving your life and your sanity.

I recommend investing in some additional life insurance, er... a decent stockpile of good chocolate at home.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what matters. I have chocolate, cookies, ice cream, most successful people on here do too. Chocolate is just fine.

Rigger

QFT. I have some kind of highly caloric, non-healthy treat every day. It's why I work out like a fiend.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I do it.

It's worked out fine so far. :smile: