How big of an age gap do you have between you and your S.O.?

Options

Replies

• brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mine was 9 years. I'm 27 and he was 36. It didn't matter except recently he broke up with me saying he was concerned I wanted kids badly and he decided he didn't (he already has 3). While I'm sure this is the right thing to do, it's still heartbreaking so just make SURE you guys are on the same page about age related stuff like kids!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey:
    I am over 15 years older than My Partner. We are very compatible, and whatever differences we have are not related to age. Our core values are similar or the same and that is so very important Just make sure you focus on what matters most to a good relationship and not a bunch of superficial stuff like age...you could get someone your age and your values are totally different or what's important to you may not be important to them in making a good Life. Make sure you choose (whomever) for the right reasons.
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    4 months and 3 days :)

Both of us just turned 21. We met in chemistry class in high school and have been together ever since.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think that may play a part in the age thing, is if you plan on having kids. Is he okay with being a new Dad at 40? If that isn't an issue for him or you go for it. If you get along and have lots of interests in common and enjoy being with each other and spending time together it shouldn't be an issue. But be ready for it to be an issue for other people. My hubby is 4 yrs older than me, it's been perfect. Happily married 28yrs last May 15th! Good Luck!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    There is almost 8 years between my husband and I, I am 39 and he is 47. The older you get the age difference matter less and less.

Lisalynn,
    Congrats on your weight loss! You look fantastic!!! Such an inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm gonna buck the trend here and say it totally bothers me when older men hit on me or want to date me, especially if the difference > 5 years! It always has bothered me and it possibly always will. I especially dislike older men who talk, act, and dress like teenagers! They're not! And some older guys act predatory towards young women who haven't finished maturing. It seems like some men who are insecure want a sweet young thing who doesn't intimidate them, who they can "mold" or manipulate.

But, with that said, with everyone else here I also know people who are married with a 10 year age gap or larger. They are ridiculously happy, madly in love, and I enjoy watching them as a couple. I think it depends on the man and the woman and how good a match they are. You're obviously a mature and motivated woman. And he may be a real prince. So how good are you together? That's what really matters. But if his age is bothering you, is it really his age or is it something else about him that makes you question his age? 'Cause those are totally different things.
  • bmq98
    bmq98 Posts: 78
    Options
    hi, my husband is 4 years younger than me. we met when I was in my late thirties and he was in his mid thirties.

but i must say, I think it is good to date an older man, especially in your mid twenties. they have "sowed their oats," so to speak, and have learned how to treat a woman. :-)
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    The only thing I can think that may play a part in the age thing, is if you plan on having kids. Is he okay with being a new Dad at 40? If that isn't an issue for him or you go for it. If you get along and have lots of interests in common and enjoy being with each other and spending time together it shouldn't be an issue. But be ready for it to be an issue for other people. My hubby is 4 yrs older than me, it's been perfect. Happily married 28yrs last May 15th! Good Luck!

I think she hit this right on the spot. I think you need to ask him about having kids and how he feels about it. Otherwise I don't think it's too bad. You are beautiful though and could have anybody...by all means don't settle because you think you are running out of time to get married. You are young still. With that said just do what you feel in your heart, if its "love" then go for it!!! My hubby and I are only 5 days apart lol!!! But my Grandparents were 11 yrs and I never even knew that for a long time. It was never evident to me, however he has been gone for 5 yrs now and she is alone, which is kinda sad.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts. If you have the same goals in life it doesnt matter. There's a 6 n half year difference between my husband and I. There is a 20+ year differnce between my father in law and step mom in law and they have been together forever it seems. Obviously, somewhere you have a little bit of an issue with it or you wouldn't be asking. Now you have to decide if that issue is you, him or what you percieve others to think. Becausewhat others think doesn't matter, you will always find some one who agrees, someone who disagrees and someone who really doesn't care. Okay that was it. Good luck with your relationship
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am 3 1/2 years younger than my husband...we met when I was 19 & now we've been happily married for a little over a year.

...anyways, you are your own person, and realistically, you can help who you fall in love with... so you have to do what you think is right!

ps. A thought to consider would be that when you are in your upper 60s he will already be in his 80s and you will have to take care of him and his old man problmes :) lol jk
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months older than my husband but he was in my same grade in school although I didn't know him until we were almost finished with Grad school. When you are a baby 1 month is a world of difference but as you get older this age difference lessens so that by the time you are in your mid 20s and older quite a few years makes no difference at all. Other things are more important. You might consider if your generation makes the way you look at things differentl and is that a problem for you. I think your values are the most important to consider if/when you make a lifetime commitment. Even if you do not plan to have a family would you want this person raising your kids? If not I would think about it before making a serious commitment. It is not age that is the most important it is how that person treats you, how well you know that person and later if you have the same basic core values. My husband and I are very different and that keeps things interesting to me but we share core values. However some people want someone who they are like. It is really compatibility that matters sometimes this is being similar and sometimes it is being complimentary. A caution may be that some older men are not secure enough for women their age. So if he is drawn to you because there are interests and values you share that is healthy. If it because of insecurities then you would need to think about that. If you are not that serious it may not matter but then I feel like a relationship dies if it cannot grow so if there is something that is a deal breaker it will affect a relationship even if both people are not ready for commitment.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My husband is 11 years older, the only real issue is that as he was 48 when we met and I was 37, we can't have any children of our own (I am now 44, we married last year) we really only could have decided on children in the first two years or so in our relationship. I already have a 22, a 19 and an 18 year old so it's not like I don't have any, but we don't have our own child. But that is to do with our current age and not the gap.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i have a friend in OK where he is 25 and his girl is 40-something, late 40s.

on the other hand, my boyfriend is 6 months older than me. that's it.

i think it is ur own preference. I'm 24 and my cut-off for dating someone is 30. I don't really know why but that's just my own standards I have set for myself.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My fiance is just over 10 years older than me. He has one child. He also wants to have more children. He'd like 3 more but I'll say 2. I'd be fine with 1 or none though.

We do get strange looks though sometimes but whatever. He was never my type and people always say hes not your type what are you doing? It just sort of happened. We'll be together for 4 years in a few months and still happy.

I say go for it and dont care what people think or say. Its what you feel that matters.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I am 11 years older than my husband. Yes, I'm a cougar :laugh:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6 years older than me, and I'm constantly teasing him about robbing the cradle, but I don't really mean it. I look at it this way. Age is just a number. If you're happy, he fulfills your needs and you fulfill his, you're compatible, and have common goals, it doesn't matter how old you are. Now if you were under 18 I would change my opinion.... but really, who cares as long as you're happy?
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There is 4 years, he's younger :tongue: Although, our roommate is 38 and his GF is 27.

In my opinion, age really is but a number: what matters is if you get a long, can talk and enjoy each other's company :happy:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    6 years - he's older
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    For me, its only gross if he is old enough to be your Dad. :laugh: I had a friend who was dating a guy that was 42 when she was 20, that was kinda gross to me. He was a really nice guy and everything, but seriously... he could have been her Dad.

My fiance is a year and a couple months older than me. The biggest gap I've had is when I dated a guy 4 years older than me. Other than him, all of my S.O's were within a year of my age.