Whole Foods: the Temple of Pseudoscience.

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I love going to whole foods, they have a great selection of micro brews, and also to laugh at the hippies. So entertaining. But I buy my groceries at Kroger I guess I will just burn in hell for that.

No hippies go to WF where I live; only the very wealthy shop there. Their prices are outrageous.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    hi
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel the examples he offered are examples of pseudoscience or anti science then I'm not sure what to say.

God I forgot how good you are at deflecting and redirecting to avoid looking foolish. It's pretty impressive.

Point is, the author uses anecdotal evidence to substantiate the point he's trying to make with his article and doesn't use one lick of science or scientific evidence.

Essentially he's simply writing it for the benefit of people who already agree with him and don't need to be persuaded.

So it's an opinion piece, not a research publication. I don't think OP was making any claims otherwise when he shared it.

But go ahead arguing for the sake of arguing

It's all that coachreddy - I mean cwsreddy - does.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about homeopathy, Reddy?

skeptical.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

skeptical.

:laugh:

How would you characterize the scientific evidence for the practice?
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    If you don't feel the examples he offered are examples of pseudoscience or anti science then I'm not sure what to say.

God I forgot how good you are at deflecting and redirecting to avoid looking foolish. It's pretty impressive.

Point is, the author uses anecdotal evidence to substantiate the point he's trying to make with his article and doesn't use one lick of science or scientific evidence.

Essentially he's simply writing it for the benefit of people who already agree with him and don't need to be persuaded.

So it's an opinion piece, not a research publication. I don't think OP was making any claims otherwise when he shared it.

But go ahead arguing for the sake of arguing

It's all that coachreddy - I mean cwsreddy - does.

true maybe I should just post articles that I know everyone here will agree with so I can be part of the cool kids instead. lulz
  • cwsreddy
    Options

skeptical.

haven't done much research into it to be honest.
  • jonnythan
    Options

skeptical.

I see.

Well I have. I suggest you do so as well. I'm certain you will conclude it is firmly somewhere between pseudoscience, outright science rejection, and magic.

I didnt know Whole Foods sold the stuff. I'm disturbed that they do.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I am declaring that I have no problems with genetically modified foods.
  • Deeptrance83
    Deeptrance83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whole foods has great options for gluten free foods as well as grain feed beef and pasture chicken. Really hard to find good quality meat unless you live near a farm or a butcher.

Unfortunately, in the US, it's more expensive to buy all natural foods than it is to purchase processed food. Soda cheaper than fresh fruit..

For vegetables and such I go to ALDI. So good.

Article is filled with hyperbole IMO.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I love going to whole foods, they have a great selection of micro brews, and also to laugh at the hippies. So entertaining. But I buy my groceries at Kroger I guess I will just burn in hell for that.

No hippies go to WF where I live; only the very wealthy shop there. Their prices are outrageous.

Just noticed that, Used the wrong word, I fixed it in edit to Hipsters, LOL thanks
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I go to Whole Foods for a few things, just because they have some things in their prepared foods departments that other stores around me don't make. It's a rarity, pretty much if I need a bunch of something for a party, and don't have time to make it myself. All their "health" claims are laughable, although I do like their sustainability ideas.

Just another store, really no better or worse than any other grocery store.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have no problem with people shopping there. And they certainly sell many great products.

I posted this because it explains why I am so personally uncomfortable at the store, and it draws parallels between health pseudoscience and creationism.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options

skeptical.

For everyone, I have a little hint that both an MD and a Pharmacist told me: they don't have any prescription or non-prescription medicines to offer for nail fungus- but they both recommended tea tree oil, which you can buy in both "health food" stores and in drug stores. Claims are not made on the tea tree oil package, as unfortunately can be found on useless off the shelf "remedies" for nail fungus. I showed these other remedies to the Pharmacist, who told me bluntly, they do not work. But tea tree oil does work. I think it might fall into a homeopathic category although for me the treatment information came from doctors.
    Nail fungus is what you can get at nail salons which don't properly autoclave their instruments.
    As for Whole Foods, and homeopathy in general, I am skeptical about a lot of things but I don't think it wise to shut your mind.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    AKA Whole Foods: leave your wallet with us. TOO expensive.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

skeptical.

I see.

Well I have. I suggest you do so as well. I'm certain you will conclude it is firmly somewhere between pseudoscience, outright science rejection, and magic.

you realize that duane reade, cvs, walgreens and more also sell homeopathic remedies yes? are you going to boycott them too?
  • jonnythan
    Options

skeptical.

For everyone, I have a little hint that both an MD and a Pharmacist told me: they don't have any prescription or non-prescription medicines to offer for nail fungus- but they both recommended tea tree oil, which you can buy in both "health food" stores and in drug stores. Claims are not made on the tea tree oil package, as unfortunately can be found on useless off the shelf "remedies" for nail fungus. I showed these other remedies to the Pharmacist, who told me bluntly, they do not work. But tea tree oil does work. I think it might fall into a homeopathic category although for me the treatment information came from doctors.
    Nail fungus is what you can get at nail salons which don't properly autoclave their instruments.
    As for Whole Foods, and homeopathy in general, I am skeptical about a lot of things but I don't think it wise to shut your mind.

Tea tree oil is a real thing. It's a traditional or natural medicine.

Homeopathy isn't just folk or natural remedies. Homeopathic products are dilutions that leave no or virtually none of the original product. Read up. It's literally magic.
  • jonnythan
    Options

skeptical.

I see.

you realize that duane reade, cvs, walgreens and more also sell homeopathic remedies yes? are you going to boycott them too?

I stopped shopping at CVS when I first saw a homeopathy section there. Never seen that at Walgreen's and we don't have Duane Reed.

But I'm not boycotting Whole Foods anyway. I'm not asking anyone to stop shopping there either. I'd buy something there if I wanted it.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    In Texas, we have HEB and Central Market. They both sell the same stuff without the attitude of Whole Foods and at market prices. We also have "Fresh Market" in Houston. But Kroger's sells a lot of the same stuff.