Why "clean eating" is a myth

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

If you're really interested in the info, then read the article. If you want to debate the info, read the article first then debate the information you disagree with, BUT be sure to have a reference to support your stance.
From what I've read and discovered from my time in the fitness industry, I find this article to be quite accurate when it comes to "clean eating" and it being a myth, especially when lots of information on eating is taken out of context.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    While I generally like impruvism and adhere to the global idea that "clean eating" is myth I find statements like "There is no evidence ____" to be generally misleading and incoherent.

There is clear evidence that certain types of food ARE unhealthy - we have pasteurization, testing and a variety of treatments, processes and rules to avoid them. Any statement that ignores those basic ideas is laughable. Afterwards its a question of educated risks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    While I generally like impruvism and adhere to the global idea that "clean eating" is myth I find statements like "There is no evidence ____" to be generally misleading and incoherent.

There is clear evidence that certain types of food ARE unhealthy - we have pasteurization, testing and a variety of treatments, processes and rules to avoid them. Any statement that ignores those basic ideas is laughable. Afterwards its a question of educated risks.
    I believe that the article is addressing foods that have already gone through those processes though. Foods that don't would more likely fit into the "clean" category right?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great article!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I agree for the most part, particularly regarding the whole clean eating thing, but it's a little absolute for my liking.

For example, I would consider there to be currently inconclusive evidence on the role of certain foods in cancer eg. Red meat. I believe that diet can certainly play a role in cancer....but the article did recommend moderation and balance and I agree with that.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to read the article but there is some sort of virus in it and it kept freezing my computer. Any chance you could cut and paste into a post?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I believe that the article is addressing foods that have already gone through those processes though. Foods that don't would more likely fit into the "clean" category right?

IDEA Fitness member

Except thsoe processes are not fixed in stone and change over time, culture and practices.
    For example, eating raw pork in Bavaria as part of mett is far more acceptable (as a health risk and culturally) whereas it is considered verboten in America.

There is some realistic evidence against high fructose cycling (where quantities of fructose over a sohrt period of time might affect disease risks) versus total quantity used - So again, absolute statements like "there is no evidence" are just as preachy and incorrect as "sugar is bad".

And frankly, eating "cleaner" is not a bad health strategy overall. The problem is that a lot of people either place thems selves in the extremes of the camps or position the opposition as being extreme.

There is actually strong evidence for the reduction of cured or processed meats in a diet with regard to reasonably avoidable cancer risks.
  • brianlowell
    brianlowell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

In for others replies.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    The caveat should be, only after some defined parameters are met, which Layne talks about.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would rather avoid artificial sweeteners, GMO grains and vegetables, pesticides, preservatives, food colors, "natural" and artificial flavors, hormones in meat and milk. I do not trust the government to put my health above profit of the 1%.

Not that I am always successful. I would never disrespect anyone who made me a meal. I do try to use basic ingredients as much as I can. Just because "they" say everything in our food is safe, doesn't mean I believe it.

I do not believe "clean" food will help me lose weight. Oh and my computer won't open the link.. Sorry for not reading your article.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sorry but that's a terrible article. The author continually repeats something to the effect of "getting too high a percent of your calories from junk food is bad for x and y and z reasons. . . . but that's not relevant to health nuts like you." Yeah, it's not relevant to me b/c I minimize junk food and eat plenty of whole foods.
  • nekoxvampyx
    Options
    just cause you believe a style of eating a myth doesn't mean it is. it's just your opinion. stop boring everyone with your article -.-
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've got to say: who cares?

If you want to eat IIFYM or vegan or paleo or (whatever your interpretation of) clean, or whatever. Why not?

It's all personal preference, at the end of the day. As long as you're eating enough to fuel your activity and keep you healthy, knock yourself out.

What I don't like is when people make a religion out of it (and all of the various "groups" mentioned above have their judgemental arseholes). But people have got to have something to ***** and argue about....
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The part about "health nuts" getting enough vitamin D from "nutrient dense foods" and "adequate sun exposure" is completely inaccurate. Unless you're at 40% body exposure (think one piece swim suit) for 20 min daily during the high hours of the sun with no sunscreen, you aren't getting enough. And I don't know one person that walks around in a swimsuit in the Midwest in the middle of winter. Always supplement for adequate vitamin D levels and don't forget to get your 25(OH)D test annually. A level of over 50 ng/ml is ideal.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Any food that has calories can technically be bad for you — if consumed in excess.

People get clean eating and weight loss confused. A calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. I say this til I am blue in the face. A calorie is a unit of energy. It is not a fat calorie, a protein calorie, a carb calorie. It is a unit of ENERGY.

I personally try to avoid processed foods (for the most part) and will go whole grain/wheat/meal over white, just because that's how I like to eat. Eating clean at X calories a day will make you lose the same amount of weight as eating X calories a day of 'junk' food. It's science, bro.

People need to stop confusing what a calorie is and what nutrition is, and how that applies to weight loss.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The part about "health nuts" getting enough vitamin D from "nutrient dense foods" and "adequate sun exposure" is completely inaccurate. Unless you're at 40% body exposure (think one piece swim suit) for 20 min daily during the high hours of the sun with no sunscreen, you aren't getting enough. And I don't know one person that walks around in a swimsuit in the Midwest in the middle of winter. Always supplement for adequate vitamin D levels and don't forget to get your 25(OH)D test annually. A level of over 50 ng/ml is ideal.

Yep, furthermore it's ironic that the author goes on to talk about how health nuts are eating lots nutrient dense foods. Kind of sounds like clean versus unclean eating doesn't it?

I also get annoyed when people publish lots of short term data about health, but ignore the question of long term health. The best data we have on long term health came out recently and indicated too much junk food (i.e., foods with added sugar) is bad in the long run.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Any food that has calories can technically be bad for you — if consumed in excess.

People get clean eating and weight loss confused. A calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. I say this til I am blue in the face. A calorie is a unit of energy. It is not a fat calorie, a protein calorie, a carb calorie. It is a unit of ENERGY.

I personally try to avoid processed foods (for the most part) and will go whole grain/wheat/meal over white, just because that's how I like to eat. Eating clean at X calories a day will make you lose the same amount of weight as eating X calories a day of 'junk' food. It's science, bro.

People need to stop confusing what a calorie is and what nutrition is, and how that applies to weight loss.

^^^^This. Well said. Nothing further needed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Probably a better intro would have been......"why some foods that are considered junk can be incorporated into your diet."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I can't open it.

Clean eating isn't a myth. It's just a way of eating the most of us follow in some way shape or form. It's not unhealthy or bad to eat an apple. The argument lies in what sort of apple is best for our bodies to consume (organic/versus natural/versus gmo)

It's not unhealthy or bad to eat a candy bar, although eating and entire box would be another issue. Some of us eat a candy bar here and there and other choose to forgo the candy bar in favor of something better for them.

I also do not trust the government, which is why a lot of the studies posted do not hold water with me. I absolutely believe they will sell out the citizens to make a buck. You don't have to agree with me, that's the beauty of it.
  • Tamara3Boys
    Tamara3Boys Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about people taking it too far. I've had so many people say if you want to fix this eat this way, or you HAVE to be gluten free to lose this etc. If one more person tells me to go gluten free because its popular right now I'm going to eat an entire loaf of white bread infront of them to shut them up. If a particular "Diet" works for one person it doesn't mean it will work for another. And every 6 months or so its try this, or try that, Its like eating has turned into fads and its so exhausting. No one ever talks about blanace anymore. You have to balance everything you consume and see what works for you. Of course limiting processed is better for you, but seriously, people go overboard and throw it in your face so much I don't even listen anymore.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Eating clean= wash your hamburgers. Hahaha. Eat, drink and be merry. Everybody really takes this **** toooo serious. Eat, train the way you like to train, look in the mirror. You like what you see ? good. You don't like what you see ? Train Harder !!!!! But the most important part is enjoy the journey, have some fun with it. Nothing bothers me more than uptight people at the gym in tight spandex shirts looking like a scarecrow giving other people advice. All of the true champions I have met in life have always been really easy going and happy. That's the whole point here boys and girls, happiness, achievement of goals = winning at life. I eat a diet I "think" is healthy what you think could and more than likely is the complete polar opposite. However, that does not mean either one of us is right or wrong.