Types of food you avoid eating while on diet

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Okay i'll clarify for the new members.

1) Dont change everything at once, thats for new years resolutioners.
    2) when making decisions on food to eat and avoid, slowly get rid of things that have negetive impact on hormonal homeostasis.
    IE: Soy. Soy, unless you are asian, is very bad for you due to photo/xenoestrogens and is a well known endocrine disruptor. http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/
    3) Don't avoid fat and saturated fat.
    4) Don't avoid eating meat, but look for meat thats grown close to its natural environment. IE: grass fed beef or bison. Organic chicken and organic eggs. When you cook these meats if it smells a little like fish oil, thats good.
    5) Don't eat soy......unless you are asian.....
    6) Add 60g protein daily from high quality whey!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3145217/
    7) Unless you have renal or heart issues, don't cut sodium!
    8) Don't eat soy....unless you are asian!
    9) Eat every 2 hours....or every 6...or every 8......as long as you are getting your nutrients daily it simply doesn't matter.
    10) The best product for cleanse is...wait for it.....water!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!

Don't eat soy.......
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Well, every time I tried moderation when I started a new diet, I failed miserably. It was like I was a recovering alcoholic who had a few shots now and then. I'm sure there are a few other people out there who feel the same. I do plan to start eating all foods in moderation when I reach my goal weight.

diets are temporary....they are meant to fail.....
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Avoided adding cheese to meals that I enjoy without cheese...eg on top of bolognaise, burgers and beans on toast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!
    Everything in moderation including exercise.

/endthread

Yep.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I avoid the following:

1. anything I don't like the taste of

2. anything where some essential component of the diet is replaced by cauliflower, or some other dubious substitution. I don't mind substituting in such a way as to improve the macros without compromising on taste, but if you're creating recipes that are tasteless or barely edible then that's an issue.
  • alcianblue
    Options
    I didn't stop eating anything, but I definitely cut back on the amount of cheese I eat. I was a cheese fiend before.
    Well, as a friend always says: "The path to hell is paved with melted cheese" :laugh:
    I :heart: cheese
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really cut down on were processed foods. I used to eat a microwave meal for lunch every day, it's now perhaps once every two weeks. I just realised from watching my macros that the nutritional value of them was very low, and the sodium very high.

I also don't eat a huge amount of chocolate any more, as it's a bit of a trigger for me. Once I start, I can't stop.

But aside from that everything else is the same, just smaller portions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, every time I tried moderation when I started a new diet, I failed miserably. It was like I was a recovering alcoholic who had a few shots now and then. I'm sure there are a few other people out there who feel the same. I do plan to start eating all foods in moderation when I reach my goal weight.

So you think that by some miracle you'll be able to suddenly eat things in moderation once you're at goal weight? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. It's a recipe for disaster. You don't suddenly get 1000 extra calories to eat once you're at maintenance... 200-300 mostly (unless you're starving yourself, but typically if you do you maintenance will be lower anyway).
  • alcianblue
    Options

diets are temporary....they are meant to fail.....
    Yes, but you can't be obese & fail forever. When someone's having health problems (for instance high glucose, high blood pressure), there are some foods that he needs to eat in much smaller portions or not eat at all.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

IE: Soy. Soy, unless you are asian, is very bad for you due to photo/xenoestrogens and is a well known endocrine disruptor. http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/

I didn't see where you got the bit about "except for Asians" from.... this is something I'm really interested in, i.e. recent evolution to different diets/environments in modern humans (similar to how people descended from dairy farming/herding populations can digest lactose as adults while most other people can't..... but other examples of that kind of thing)

Also, are you using the term "Asian" to mean anyone from the continent Asia, or the bizarre USA definition that only includes certain specific East-Asians? If the latter, then which Asians, specifically do you mean.

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

While this may be true, personally I find that I learned more about not binging on foods when I had to learn what a true portion was and stick to it. Was I successful from day one? No. But over time, I have become more and more comfortable eating a normal portion of my binge foods. It was something I felt I needed to learn to lose the weight for good. I have always restricted my foods with the thought that I would add them back later. In all previous attempts to lose, I eventually went back to the bad habits. I'm pretty sure this time will stick.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid anything though typically I don't tend to eat big doughnuts or muffins that have like 500 calories because I just don't think it's worth it considering the amount of other food I could get for the same calories.
  • alcianblue
    Options

So you think that by some miracle you'll be able to suddenly eat things in moderation once you're at goal weight? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. It's a recipe for disaster. You don't suddenly get 1000 extra calories to eat once you're at maintenance... 200-300 mostly (unless you're starving yourself, but typically if you do you maintenance will be lower anyway).
    If you read my first post, you will see that I've started eating again in small portions the foods I avoided. I'm getting back into it slowly. Except junk food, I 'll try to avoid it as much as I can.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I stopped eat junk food (Pizza , Mcdonalds, Crisps, Milk Chocolate)

Anything with grain anything with high refined sugar.

Sodas full fat and diet.

I do not crave any of them (I can eat them as and when I like - if I wanted). Sorry to say I just don't fancy them (they've lost there appeal -That's all).
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've cut way back on processed foods and fast foods but I've added in lots of new foods that I've never tried before. Quinoa, butternut squash, chick peas, leeks, cranberries, mango, to name a few. I've also stopped eating margarine and replaced it with butter... in moderation of course. :drinker:
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I avoid food that I can not moderate. By avoid, I mean I don't eat them everyday. I can not eat Pizza or cake in moderation. I can't, I have tried, many times. So if I plan to eat pizza or cake, I eat the whole thing and do it with a smile.

I also eat ALL the ice cream!
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Inclusion not exclusion. You' re changing your lifestyle, not just dieting. Are you really going to give those things up for the rest of your life? Plus baked potatoes are super good for you. Just eat in moderation and you'll be fine.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't "avoid" any foods when trying to lose weight, I just eat in moderation. I have an entire tupperware full of regular (no low fat or substituted ingredients) chocolate chip cookies sitting here, I just made them small so I can work them into my daily calorie goal.

The only change we've really made is cooking at home more instead of ordering out, and I've gotten back to making more items from scratch than buying prepackaged versions. Although that has more to do with the fact that my youngest is almost two and I don't have her physically attached to me at all times, so I can actually take the time to prepare food.
  • condalgia
    Options
    Peanut M&M's... Withdrawals are killin me!
    We stopped smoking and they were my go to and downfall.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 'Avoid nothing, everything in moderation' principle...except that there are certain foods that I just can't help but over-indulge in! I don't *not* have chocolate, for example, but if I bought a bag of treat-sized chocolate bars, I'd find it hard to 'moderate' them! For me, it's easier not to buy them in the first place - though if someone offered me a chocolate, and I had enough calories left, I would take it.