Types of food you avoid eating while on diet

Options

Replies

• SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    All other diets always included cutting out of foods. Carbs mainly.
    Now that I count calories I have none of that and eat everything! (Making sure its within my calorie goals)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, prawns, coffee, licorice, meat pies and soy.

Just like when I'm not on a diet :P

A pizza without mushrooms is like a day without sunshine. :wink:

pizzaveggie.jpg
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options

IE: Soy. Soy, unless you are asian, is very bad for you due to photo/xenoestrogens and is a well known endocrine disruptor. http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/

I didn't see where you got the bit about "except for Asians" from.... this is something I'm really interested in, i.e. recent evolution to different diets/environments in modern humans (similar to how people descended from dairy farming/herding populations can digest lactose as adults while most other people can't..... but other examples of that kind of thing)

Also, are you using the term "Asian" to mean anyone from the continent Asia, or the bizarre USA definition that only includes certain specific East-Asians? If the latter, then which Asians, specifically do you mean.

The only kind of soy that people should consume is fermented soy. This would be like tempeh and miso, consumed mostly by Asians. Fermented soy sauce is becoming more popular in the US lately, I've noticed, and it's also okay. Anything non-fermented like soy milk contains phytoestrogens, which are terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything. Everything in moderation.

Edit: Okay, I do avoid apples now as they upset my stomach for some reason.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    ETA: Sorry, the quotes got messed up! You said:
    [/quote]
    The only kind of soy that people should consume is fermented soy. This would be like tempeh and miso, consumed mostly by Asians. Fermented soy sauce is becoming more popular in the US lately, I've noticed, and it's also okay. Anything non-fermented like soy milk contains phytoestrogens, which are terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs.
    [/quote]

Winter squash, green beans, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, lentils, navy, kidney, pinto and fava beans, hummus, made from chickpeas, split green and yellow peas, dried prunes, peaches, raspberries and strawberries all are sources of phytoestrogens. Should you avoid these foods "at all costs"?
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing!
    Everything in moderation including exercise.

/endthread

^^^^^^^^
    This^^^^ :-)
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have had a "Eureka! "The more restrictions and prohibitions I placed on myself,and on what I ate, the more weight I gained.

I wouldn't eat grapes unless they were certified organic. However, I could always eat a Snickers bars. I wouldn't eat red meat or pork. I Could eat french fries cause they were vegetarian heck they were vegan. Finally, I wouldn't eat cookies, cake, candy, ice cream or pie, but I could eat everything else that was vegetarian. I ended up weighing more than ever before.
    The solution, cut out the restrictions. I'm still vegetarian, but now I only avoid foods that taste bad. And if I wanted to eat animals again, I would, so far I don't , it's been about 17.5 years without them.

It appears logging and weighing, my food as much as possible, and cooking, even if it is cake or pizza, matter most for me.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

What he said.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Avoid nothing!

/endthread

^^^^^^^^
    This^^^^ :-)

I see, so you literally eat a small amount of every foodstuff known to man?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    For the last 20 months, I have been eating all the foods I love - just in moderation. It has taught me portion control. I have been kinda successful. :laugh:

This lady has been very, very successful.

And that's my approach too. Everything in moderation - meaning as it fits into my calorie and macro goals.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I avoid mcdonalds... big macs.. yum.. but just no.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only foods I tend to avoid completely are foods that don't make me feel good after. So generally fried foods... and really sugary or rich foods like cream sauces. However, I do believe that everything is fine in moderation and sometimes have a bit. However, it is rare. :) I still say yes to ice cream, chocolate, and all sorts of 'no-no' foods. I think it depends on the person. Some people are really good at being moderate. Some people aren't. I can walk by an Oreo without a second thought but I cannot control myself with peanut butter. If I can't be moderate with it, it can't be in the house.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I try not to 'avoid' anything, but certain things I limit, such as pasta (I always eat too much of it!), chocolate/sweets, cheese, chips (and anything deep fried for that matter), fizzy drinks. I eat pretty much everything else whilst sticking to my calorie limit. Avoiding anything you run the risk of bingeing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Where's the evidence that small doses of soy are problematic?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I stopped eat junk food (Pizza , Mcdonalds, Crisps, Milk Chocolate)

Anything with grain anything with high refined sugar.

Sodas full fat and diet.

I do not crave any of them (I can eat them as and when I like - if I wanted). Sorry to say I just don't fancy them (they've lost there appeal -That's all).

wtf is a full fat soda?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I avoid diet foods.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No more fast food for me with a couple of exceptions. McDonalds grilled chicken sweet chili wrap. I plan for it so it fits into my day, when I'm on the go. And a burger from Hardee's once in awhile. No more boxed items for me and no canned items again with a couple of exceptions, tuna fish being one of those. No pasta, breads, rice and potatoes ( I will eat potatoes every now and then), I will also have brown rice every so often. I find getting rid of those complex carbs helps with my sugar cravings. I didn't have to give up sweets to get rid of the cravings, just got rid of the complex carbs. Processed foods are out except bacon and ham and not deli ham either, no deli foods at all.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid anything. I eat what I want within moderation, find foods that help me hit my macros, and enjoy life. This has been working thus far.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I stopped eat junk food (Pizza , Mcdonalds, Crisps, Milk Chocolate)

Anything with grain anything with high refined sugar.

Sodas full fat and diet.

I do not crave any of them (I can eat them as and when I like - if I wanted). Sorry to say I just don't fancy them (they've lost there appeal -That's all).

wtf is a full fat soda?

OMG - never heard of full fat!!!!!!

Just joking it's just what I call non - diet drinks (sorry if my own personal phraseology offends) lol:smile:

I also refer to diet coke as DC (sorry).
  • emmullins55
    Options
    For the last 20 months, I have been eating all the foods I love - just in moderation. It has taught me portion control. I have been kinda successful. :laugh:

Someone who has achieved a weight loss of over 100 pounds is one of the posters that has "good" advise. After all isn't that really what being healthy and maintaining a healthy weight is all about. Eating in moderation. I am still challenging that habit as I am the type that can stay on track as long as I don't indulge in the foods I love. Ironically, that behavior is what got me so overweight in the first place. I am addicted to food and currently if I eat trigger foods I go wack-o. Think of it as a "drug overdose." To be able to teach myself controlled eating of any food is my biggest challenge,I can diet, I can lose, but I want to truthfully learn permanent behavior modificiation.