Types of food you avoid eating while on diet

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Where's the evidence that small doses of soy are problematic?

in. for this.

As for the OP:
    I eat what I like in moderation. I find that when I pre-portion foods that I would likely over-indulge in (hurray for baggies and small containers!) it keeps me in check.
    And it makes logging easier, too.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    If I cut things out completely I fail... unsustainable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm avoiding these foods, but at dinner time, I'm not having any of the rice, potatoes, or breads that I normally would every night. I do have them occasionally, like last night I had a piece of garlic bread, but lately I've been doubling or tripling up on the veggies. To me right now, the starches are just unneeded calories in my diet while I'm starting out. Once I have more self control, I might trust myself again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ETA: Sorry, the quotes got messed up! You said:
    The only kind of soy that people should consume is fermented soy. This would be like tempeh and miso, consumed mostly by Asians. Fermented soy sauce is becoming more popular in the US lately, I've noticed, and it's also okay. Anything non-fermented like soy milk contains phytoestrogens, which are terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs.

Winter squash, green beans, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, lentils, navy, kidney, pinto and fava beans, hummus, made from chickpeas, split green and yellow peas, dried prunes, peaches, raspberries and strawberries all are sources of phytoestrogens. Should you avoid these foods "at all costs"?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

I'm not Asian, but I do eat their food. (Or, I should say, the Americanized version of their food. :wink: :laugh:) I can go about a month without some Kung Pao carry-out or some homemade stir-fry or cashew chicken OMG or General Tso's, (thanks, now I'm wanting some Chinese food!) but normally it's about twice a month I get a large soy intake from Asian foods.

If I die eating Kung Pao shrimp and shrimp rolls dipped in duck sauce, then at least I went out happy. I think the cigarettes will get me first though. :smokin:
  • deadyankee
    Options
    I stopped eat junk food (Pizza , Mcdonalds, Crisps, Milk Chocolate)

Anything with grain anything with high refined sugar.

Sodas full fat and diet.

I do not crave any of them (I can eat them as and when I like - if I wanted). Sorry to say I just don't fancy them (they've lost there appeal -That's all).

wtf is a full fat soda?

:laugh:

Hilarious! That poster is the reason why they put such stupid labels on food. People are ignorant about nutrients.

Either that or they were using an established shorthand that they know is 'factually' innacurate but that most people in the world will understand without leaping to erroneous conclusions.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Anything labeled as a "diet food" aka sugar substitute, fat free and crap like that. I do not diet, I have a life style in which I make better choices most of the time and when I make a series of bad choices and have to lose weight, I go on calorie restriction, which basically means I eat a couple hundred calories less than my TDEE.

And of course I try to avoid processed and refined food because I have an auto immune disease, processed and refined food gives me inflammation which causes pain. :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

I do not crave any of them (I can eat them as and when I like - if I wanted). Sorry to say I just don't fancy them (they've lost there appeal -That's all).

wtf is a full fat soda?

Hilarious! That poster is the reason why they put such stupid labels on food. People are ignorant about nutrients.

Either that or they were using an established shorthand that they know is 'factually' innacurate but that most people in the world will understand without leaping to erroneous conclusions.

Well-established shorthand? WTF?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I avoid all foods that I don't like.
  • deadyankee
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

wtf is a full fat soda?

It's awfully complicated isn't it
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

wtf is a full fat soda?

It is here in the UK - dunno about elsewhere. Nor do I know where any of the above posters are from.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    ETA: Sorry, the quotes got messed up! You said:
    The only kind of soy that people should consume is fermented soy. This would be like tempeh and miso, consumed mostly by Asians. Fermented soy sauce is becoming more popular in the US lately, I've noticed, and it's also okay. Anything non-fermented like soy milk contains phytoestrogens, which are terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs.

Winter squash, green beans, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, lentils, navy, kidney, pinto and fava beans, hummus, made from chickpeas, split green and yellow peas, dried prunes, peaches, raspberries and strawberries all are sources of phytoestrogens. Should you avoid these foods "at all costs"?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

I'm not Asian, but I do eat their food. (Or, I should say, the Americanized version of their food. :wink: :laugh:) I can go about a month without some Kung Pao carry-out or some homemade stir-fry or cashew chicken OMG or General Tso's, (thanks, now I'm wanting some Chinese food!) but normally it's about twice a month I get a large soy intake from Asian foods.

If I die eating Kung Pao shrimp and shrimp rolls dipped in duck sauce, then at least I went out happy. I think the cigarettes will get me first though. :smokin:

OMG - egg rolls and Thai street noodles & I'll go a happy girl too.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most fats at all costs since fat equals calories, that being said, somethings just do not work without a little fat and then I use olive oil or a tiny bit of butter during cooking.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

wtf is a full fat soda?

Kinda' like when people say they eat everything in moderation. They probably don't mean that they eat ANY and EVERY POSSIBLE FOOD fit for human consumption.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm another "everything in moderation" (sorta along the thinking of IIFYM) type of person.

But. I tend to totally avoid a few foods. Not because they are "triggers" or anything...but because I never really liked them to begin with, and I'd much rather have something else in their place...

bagels
    French fries
    tater tots
    cereal
    potato chips
    corn chips
    croutons
    breadsticks
    muffins
    macaroni & cheese

FTR though I'm not a low carb eater and still love me some wheat bread, English muffins, tortillas, etc.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do not avoid any foods. i eat whatever i want but, I eat the correct portion. I weigh my food to make sure i am eating correctly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most fats at all costs since fat equals calories, that being said, somethings just do not work without a little fat and then I use olive oil or a tiny bit of butter during cooking.

No it doesn't. Calories are made up of fat, protein and carbs. :noway:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

wtf is a full fat soda?

ETA: And someone please tell that guy that PIZZA IS NOT JUNK! Heroin is junk. Pizza is delicious food! Yum![u/]

Yes...^^^
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid foods that will put me over my calorie goal for the day.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Sodas full fat and diet.

wtf is a full fat soda?

Glad someone else said that, I call it 'fat coke' as well, not because it has fat in it, because it's quicker than saying 'higher in sugar coke'. Everyone knows what I'm on about, and I've never had to explain myself.