Calling all sugar addicts!

Options
I've got to admit it, I'm a sugar addict!

Has anyone read The Sweet Poison Quit Plan? Did it work? I've got to break out of this cycle! :explode: I know I'm an addict because I can go so many days with nothing and and I quite literally start jonesing for chocolate and I have an almighty binge and then feel gross!
I've read that sugar is as addictive as nicotine! Is there anyone on here that's managed to kick the habit?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an addiction. I think people can have cravings for things but I'm not willing to sell my body for a Klondike bar. I just learn moderation and live at peace with my food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Has anyone read The Sweet Poison Quit Plan? Did it work? I've got to break out of this cycle! :explode: I know I'm an addict because I can go so many days with nothing and and I quite literally start jonesing for chocolate and I have an almighty binge and then feel gross!
    I've read that sugar is as addictive as nicotine! Is there anyone on here that's managed to kick the habit?

Without sugar you'd die, true story
  • kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted myself but haven't found what helps. I know some people go completely off it, but I don't know how I can switch to that lifestyle right now.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I been slowly cutting down my sugar habit but its definitely a tough road to go down. I went from drinking a 12 pack of coke a day down to maybe 1 or 2 every other weekend. I am now on a journey to cut my sugar down to 60 grams. Basically replace sugar with honey agave nectar and using fruits to get my sugar fix. Not really cutting out sugar just reducing the additive sugars I put in everything.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling viciously with binging on sugary carby foods, so I'm giving the 21 Day Detox a try. Not everyone would promote a "plan" like this, but I really like it so far. I have stopped eating crappy fat free yogurts with all kinds of additives and artificial sweeteners, sweet coffee creamers, etc. Only a couple of days in and my taste buds are picking up on the natural sweetness of whole foods.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Processed sugars are an addiction for me. When I go off, I get a headache for several days. Ibuprofen helps me through. Once past that three day mark, the pull is easier to avoid. (likely because of the memory of NOT wanting to go through the headache phase again.) Having something to look forward to, like dark chocolate with almonds helps and I can stop eating that. (Unlike a pan of brownies where I can put away the whole thing, then look for more sugar to the point of ...well...I'm not going to go there.) Definitely eating more "clean" (whole foods, less processed stuff.) helps me tremendously, too. If I have something sweet, then I have to recognize the next time I crave it if it is the craving speaking...in which case I assert myself (keep busy, make other healtier choices) and avoid it to get back to the place where it loses its pull on me. The longer I go without the easier to avoid when its in my face. (bowls on desks, break room "treats", kids bringing stuff from grandma's...etc.)

I don't know about the book you are talking about, but I know there are plenty of people who claim sugar addiction. I think much like some people can handle alcohol fine without addiction, there are likely many people who can handle processed sugar without any trouble. For some of us, it is a gateway that leads to addictive behaviors (hiding while eating, hoarding, seeking...unable to think of anything else until you get that fix...then great for a bit until you come down...then feeling crappy...but the crappy feeling only makes you seek to get more to feel good again even though logically we know it's stupid.) Yeah...addiction.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    MJterp just described my deal with simple sugar. When I quit, if I make it thru day 3 with no sugar I am fine until I decide to eat it again. Days 2 and 3 my body screams for it.

I dont expect people who dont have this issue to understand.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/24/doctor-says-sugar-eight-times-more-addictive-than-cocaine/20837016/?icid=maing-grid7|maing8|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D446956
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an addiction. I think people can have cravings for things but I'm not willing to sell my body for a Klondike bar. I just learn moderation and live at peace with my food.
    yuuuuuuuuuup.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    have a small handful of semisweet chocolate chips when that craving hits....I know it all too well and this helps!

but if it fits in your macros get it in yah!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unlike a heroin addict who would risk using a dirty needle or a cocaine addict who would snort spilled cocaine of a urine infested floor, I truly doubt any sugar addict here would eat any sugar laden product after abstaining from it for however many days, if I sprinkled poo on it. If you could, then maybe you are a sugar "addict".
    Physiologically we use glucose for energy, so we're never "abstaining" from it anyway. Psychologically people adhere to habitual behavior until it's changed. Habitually "needing" sugar will keep people wanting it. IMO it's really not an addiction since you really can't moderate addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I would imagine you and she are not talking about the same definition of sugar.
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted myself but haven't found what helps. I know some people go completely off it, but I don't know how I can switch to that lifestyle right now.

I understand completely. I am addicted to sugar. Those of us who have this addiction can fully appreciate and understand the struggle. I seem to do ok if I can stay away from it completely but if I fall off the wagon then I am in trouble. I am back to eating small meals 5 times a day and for me that seems to work in keeping the cravings in check.
  • VickiGordo
    Options
    My nutritionist says if you eat enough protein and maintain a good diet the cravings will go away. It's a matter of making sure your body has what it needs from the good and healthy stuff and it will help you stay away from the 'bad' stuff. I've tried it, it works, but then one slip up and I'm back to the sweets! I just had Pineapple Upside Down Cake for Breakfast!! Imagine what my nutritionist is going to say about that?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But what if chocolate were illegal and the only chocolate or sweet treat of any kind was your chocolate with poo sprinkles. Are you positive no one would take it?
    I think it would depend on the poo and the chocolate....American chocolate I'd probably just eat the poo.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's an interesting argument. But are you really sure no one would eat the chocolate with poo sprinkles if there were not other chocolate available? A cocaine addict that could simply walk to the nearest 7-Eleven and get clean coke wouldn't likely take your poo sprinkles cocaine.

Point to ponder!!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you..........Then I hit the gym and burn it all off - Today slice of birthday cake and loads of cookies... TUT TUT!!!

But I work my butt off to try and burn off the rubbish, and to obviously make myself feel better....!!!

Who bloody invented chocolate and biscuits???????????????????? Too yummy!!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Fun fact : the most common substance for which people seek treatment is, by far, alcohol. I could be wrong, but I think the second most common one is marijuana.

Neither of them require going to extremes in order to procure or use, and marijuana never results in extreme behaviour of any kind. The fact that you're not shooting up from a dirty needle or snorting off a dirty floor is a very poor indication of addictive potential.
  • sophieamhaley
    Options
    MJterp just described my deal with simple sugar. When I quit, if I make it thru day 3 with no sugar I am fine until I decide to eat it again. Days 2 and 3 my body screams for it.

I dont expect people who dont have this issue to understand.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/24/doctor-says-sugar-eight-times-more-addictive-than-cocaine/20837016/?icid=maing-grid7|maing8|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D446956

Same!
  • sophieamhaley
    Options

I would imagine you and she are not talking about the same definition of sugar.

No, I'm on about chocolate and cake and biscuits - processed sugar? Refined sugar?