Calling all sugar addicts!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Then my question would be: Why aren't vegetarians showing up in large numbers with health issues if the majority of their diet is fructose laden?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

aw come on man you respond to the Lustig wall-o-text but ignore my actual study depicting actual sugar addiction in rats?

sadface.

You posted a study? Do you not know what a study is? And what was the study design, 12hrs food deprivation?
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Then my question would be: Why aren't vegetarians showing up in large numbers with health issues if the majority of their diet is fructose laden?

IDEA Fitness member

aw come on man you respond to the Lustig wall-o-text but ignore my actual study depicting actual sugar addiction in rats?

sadface.
    I'll humor you. Dopamine rush will keep people doing whatever it is that causes it for them. For some it's jumping out of planes. For others it's getting straight A's. And even more from running long distances or dancing.

I'd like to see more tests to verify whether or not sugar is really considered an addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

Did you not read? Dopamine response is only one of the factors involved. The neurological changes that took place were very similar to the changes that take place in the brain of someone on drugs. The rats suffered withdrawal, they relapsed, they binged, etc... they fit all the criteria of an addiction.

Is one study proof? Of course not. But is one study enough to say "well maybe there's more to this than I originally thought?"

That's up to you. But the evidence is, nonetheless, compelling.
  • Acg67
    Options
    When you compare the health outcomes of fructose versus alcohol consumption, you end up seeing a very familiar pattern – the diseases they cause are virtually identical!"
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/09/ethanol-alcohol-and-fructose.aspx

LMAO, wall of text from Mercola? Hopefully you post Taubes, Davis, Perlmutter or another quack next so I can check them off my quack bingo card
  • cwsreddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

sadface.

You posted a study? Do you not know what a study is? And what was the study design, 12hrs food deprivation?

feel free to read it yourself.
  • Acg67
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

sadface.

I read your link, it was not a study
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories
    Hoebel has shown that rats eating large amounts of sugar when hungry, a phenomenon he describes as sugar-bingeing, undergo neurochemical changes in the brain that appear to mimic those produced by substances of abuse, including cocaine, morphine and nicotine. Sugar induces behavioral changes, too. "In certain models, sugar-bingeing causes long-lasting effects in the brain and increases the inclination to take other drugs of abuse, such as alcohol," Hoebel said.

Hoebel and his team also have found that a chemical known as dopamine is released in a region of the brain known as the nucleus accumbens when hungry rats drink a sugar solution. This chemical signal is thought to trigger motivation and, eventually with repetition, addiction.

This is good.. now we know when you deprive a rat for an extended period of time and them feed them sugar water they show the signs of a binge disorder.

When I start seeing studies around humans, then I will alter my views. At this moment, I don't think sugar is addicting but I do believe there are people who have binge disorders. The broader question is, why do they have a binge disorder: emotional distress, prior eat habits, etc..?
  • cwsreddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

sadface.

it's plenty good enough.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you compare the health outcomes of fructose versus alcohol consumption, you end up seeing a very familiar pattern – the diseases they cause are virtually identical!"
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/09/ethanol-alcohol-and-fructose.aspx

LMAO, wall of text from Mercola? Hopefully you post Taubes, Davis, Perlmutter or another quack next so I can check them off my quack bingo card

Acg67-- what are you credentials again? What makes you think you are qualified to determine who is a quack who is not?
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories
    Hoebel has shown that rats eating large amounts of sugar when hungry, a phenomenon he describes as sugar-bingeing, undergo neurochemical changes in the brain that appear to mimic those produced by substances of abuse, including cocaine, morphine and nicotine. Sugar induces behavioral changes, too. "In certain models, sugar-bingeing causes long-lasting effects in the brain and increases the inclination to take other drugs of abuse, such as alcohol," Hoebel said.

Hoebel and his team also have found that a chemical known as dopamine is released in a region of the brain known as the nucleus accumbens when hungry rats drink a sugar solution. This chemical signal is thought to trigger motivation and, eventually with repetition, addiction.

This is good.. now we know when you deprive a rat for an extended period of time and them feed them sugar water they show the signs of a binge disorder.

When I start seeing studies around humans, then I will alter my views. At this moment, I don't think sugar is addicting but I do believe there are people who have binge disorders. The broader question is, why do they have a binge disorder: emotional distress, prior eat habits, etc..?

This is such a flawed argument, but hey we're all entitled to our beliefs.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Acg67-- what are you credentials again? What makes you think you are qualified to determine who is a quack who is not?

he reads things on the internets.
  • Acg67
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

sadface.

it's plenty good enough.

No, it's not. It is not a study despite you calling it a study. Which is why I asked if you actually knew what a study was
  • SusanBT1954
    Options
    I like sweets and feel I need something sweet daily. Have found that a Jolly Rancher or something like that works okay - not really what I want, but it is sweet. Tried one Hershey kiss, but chocolate will lead me to binge for sure. Speaking for myself only, sugar in moderation is okay, but I like it way too much.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i would argue that it's not sugar.. it's hyperpalatable foods. Again, no one in this thread has suggested they have an addiction to high sugar fruits, but rather donuts, chocolate, cake, cheese and for me it's wings. As niner point out, our addiction isn't sugar, it's extremely yummy foods. Heck, I will take a Burrito bowl from Chipotle, Steak or Wings over dessert any day of the week. When I binge, it's not on sweets, its on meat because it's yummy.

Do you eat wings until you throw up, and then keep eating? Do you deceive your family so you can hoard Chipotle? Do you steal steak from your housemates? Do you eat food from the garbage? What you have is not addiction but that doesn't mean other people don't have it worse than you. Don't try to compare your lack of self-control over foods you like to people who actually have disorders

You actually make good points... I don't see anyone on this board that claims a sugar addiction stating they are picking pieces of cake out of the trash, or picking up chocolate off the street for a "fix". This is why many of us don't believe it's a addiction but rather a binging disorder.
  • Acg67
    Options

Unlike some people, I apparently can research objectively and make determinations if someone is a quack or not. Try to do a little research free of confirmation bias and get back to us
  • psuLemon
    Options

How it is flawed? Last I check, humans weren't deprived of all food for hours and then force fed sugar water. At what point do we want to suggest this is outside the realm of reality.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Unlike some people, I apparently can research objectively and make determinations if someone is a quack or not. Try to do a little research free of confirmation bias and get back to us

the fact that you think you're objective proves that you're not. none of us are. lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my thoughts on your thoughts….Yes, not everyone who drinks alcohol is not an alcoholic; however, all alcoholics are addicted to ALL forms of alcohol ….you don't se any alcoholics saying .."well, I can drink beer and not be addicted, but I am totally addicted to hard liquor….", which brings us back to my premise which is that if you are truly addicted to sugar you should have to avoid it in ALL forms….

Actually, your statement is not true. I have a relative that is an alcoholic. When he was drinking out of control (arrests, lost jobs, forced rehab, etc.) he drank beer. Over a decade later, he now occasionally drinks whiskey. He will not touch beer because he says he is sure if he drinks beer he will get out of control again. He hates whiskey, so that's all he ever drinks.

Also, check out Moderation Management. http://www.moderation.org/

he hates whiskey but still drinks it? Is that a typo?

No, not a typo. He says he hates whiskey enough that he can limit how much he drinks.

ok, but if you hate something and still force yourself to drink it that means that you still have a problem with alcohol….
  • cwsreddy
    Options

How it is flawed? Last I check, humans weren't deprived of all food for hours and then force fed sugar water. At what point do we want to suggest this is outside the realm of reality.

because you realize how much red tape and controversy goes into tests of this nature on humans right? there's a reason nutritional science is decades behind where it should be.
  • kristincreate
    Options
    The website http://growinghumankindness.com/ has helped me so much. I'm also currently reading her book 'Overcoming Sugar Addiction: How I Kicked My Sugar Habit and Created a Joyful Sugar Free Life' which I've been really enjoying.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

sadface.

it's plenty good enough.

No, it's not. It is not a study despite you calling it a study. Which is why I asked if you actually knew what a study was

it's an ivy-league published article about a study done at an ivy league institution. if you don't find that credible than there's not much more i can do for you sir.