Calling all sugar addicts!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cliffs for TL, DR :
    There's obvious differences between food problems and substance abuse, but there are enough similarities from a physical and psychological point of view that glibly dismissing the idea seems a little short-sighted.

I did read it all and think it is good info.

There are differences between addictions to anything. Addiiction to and withdrawl from cocaine is not the same heroin which is not the same as alcohol which is not the same as tobacco. There simply isn't enough information to say whether sugar can be addictive or not. But it certainly can have addictive type responses in some people.

But, really, whether or not it is a true physical or addiction or "just" a psychological compulsion. It is still a very real problem that some people have to deal with.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "Which brings us to sugar. Another fun substance, full of energy, made up of two molecules linked together: glucose (kind of sweet, and not that much fun), and fructose (very sweet, and a whole lot of fun). Glucose is a nutrient, although not essential—it’s so important, that if you don’t eat it, your liver will make it. But what about fructose? Is fructose a nutrient? As it turns out, there’s no biochemical reaction that requires dietary fructose. A rare genetic disease called Hereditary Fructose Intolerance afflicts 1 in 100,000 babies, who drop their blood sugar to almost zero and have a seizure upon their first exposure to juice from a bottle at age six months. Doctors perform a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. From that moment on, they’re fructose-free for the rest of their lives. And they’re among the healthiest people on the planet. Alcohol and fructose both supply energy. They’re fun—but they are not nutrients. Strike two."

Source http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-sugar-addiction-taboo/282699/

My thoughts: Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic. But alcoholics exist.

No everyone who eats sugar is addicted to it. But some people react to sugar, behaviorally and biochemically, in a very similar way as an addict.

You love posting junky stuff, an article from Lolstig?
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "Which brings us to sugar. Another fun substance, full of energy, made up of two molecules linked together: glucose (kind of sweet, and not that much fun), and fructose (very sweet, and a whole lot of fun). Glucose is a nutrient, although not essential—it’s so important, that if you don’t eat it, your liver will make it. But what about fructose? Is fructose a nutrient? As it turns out, there’s no biochemical reaction that requires dietary fructose. A rare genetic disease called Hereditary Fructose Intolerance afflicts 1 in 100,000 babies, who drop their blood sugar to almost zero and have a seizure upon their first exposure to juice from a bottle at age six months. Doctors perform a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. From that moment on, they’re fructose-free for the rest of their lives. And they’re among the healthiest people on the planet. Alcohol and fructose both supply energy. They’re fun—but they are not nutrients. Strike two."

Source http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-sugar-addiction-taboo/282699/

My thoughts: Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic. But alcoholics exist.

No everyone who eats sugar is addicted to it. But some people react to sugar, behaviorally and biochemically, in a very similar way as an addict.

Robert H. Lolstig is a pediatric neuroendocrinologist and a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. He is former chairman of the obesity task force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society

What are your credentials, Acg67?
  • Acg67
    Options

Robert H. Lolstig is a pediatric neuroendocrinologist and a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. He is former chairman of the obesity task force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society

And does that somehow make him an expert on the subject, if it does we are in deep trouble
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Lustig unfortunately has quite a bit of baggage, Zealots often do. Because of your overall beliefs which are also in line with his, maybe doing research that contradicts that premise might be a good starting point to be more balanced in this overall complicated subject as opposed to falling to the appeal to authority flaw.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

my thoughts on your thoughts….Yes, not everyone who drinks alcohol is not an alcoholic; however, all alcoholics are addicted to ALL forms of alcohol ….you don't se any alcoholics saying .."well, I can drink beer and not be addicted, but I am totally addicted to hard liquor….", which brings us back to my premise which is that if you are truly addicted to sugar you should have to avoid it in ALL forms….
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering, why people that have no problem with moderating sugar, are actually arguing with people that feel they have a problem with it and are trying to band together for support?

Control issues much?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A person can pull up the diagnostic criteria for substance related disorders (DSM-IV has been updated to DSM-V), but that "substance" is not sugar (carb) or food. I do not deny that people can have issues with food and they can fall into different diagnostic categories, but it is not addiction.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    One more thing and then I'm out:
    Sugar is PALATABLE. This is why people have issues with it. It's not an addiction issue, it's an issue that it tastes good and people just keeping eating it till they get sick of eating it.

Fruit and vegetables contain sugar in them. If sugar was truly an addiction, then why aren't people gobbling down bananas, mangoes, tangerines, grapes, cherries, or even dried fruit all very high in sugar?
    This is one of the most quoted posts in this thread. It's also one of the worst posts in this thread.

Tiramisu contains a lot of alcohol but alcoholics don't binge on tiramisu.

A slice of it might set off a craving for alcohol, but it won't result in wolfing down the whole cake. It will result in going to a liquor store and buying alcohol...
    Then there's no reason an alcoholic shouldn't be able to bring in mouthwash when they go in for rehab.

My point is that people who claim sugar "addiction" don't have a problem with sugar rich fruits and vegetables (which contain sucrose) and overeating them even though there's sugar in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

my thoughts on your thoughts….Yes, not everyone who drinks alcohol is not an alcoholic; however, all alcoholics are addicted to ALL forms of alcohol ….you don't se any alcoholics saying .."well, I can drink beer and not be addicted, but I am totally addicted to hard liquor….", which brings us back to my premise which is that if you are truly addicted to sugar you should have to avoid it in ALL forms….

There is some kind of alcohol in most everything....It is fermented and distilled versions of ethanol that alcoholics have a problem with....
  • Acg67
    Options

Well not fruit sugars cause they have fiber to slow down absorption, it's just like alcoholics that can drink perfectly fine in moderation if they have a little food in their stomachs to slow absorption of alcohol down
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Sugar is perfectly fine for humans to consume!

Somebody just wanted to make a book sale and you got suckered in.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Lustig unfortunately has quite a bit of baggage, Zealots often do. Because of your overall beliefs which are also in line with his, maybe doing research that contradicts that premise might be a good starting point to be more balanced in this overall complicated subject as opposed to falling to the appeal to authority flaw.

Lolstig hardly sounds like a radical zealot. He even quotes the AHA recommendation of reducing sugar (perhaps why many on MFP complain about the low sugar recommendations here and the need to "delete sugar tracking" or "ignore sugar" from their diaries.

Here's the last paragraph from his article above:

"The concept of sugar addiction will continue to evoke visceral responses on both sides of the aisle. One thing most agree on is that sugar should be safe—and rare. That means “real” food. In the short term, Americans must watch out for ourselves, and that means cooking for ourselves. The American Heart Association recommends a reduction in consumption from our current 22 teaspoons per day to six for women and nine for men; a reduction by two-thirds to three-quarters. Our current consumption is over our limit and our “processed” food supply is designed to keep it that way. Food should confer wellness, not illness. The industry feeds our sugar habit to the detriment of our society. We need food purveyors, not food pushers."

• Lesa_Sass
    Options

Well not fruit sugars cause they have fiber to slow down absorption, it's just like alcoholics that can drink perfectly fine in moderation if they have a little food in their stomachs to slow absorption of alcohol down

WHAT???????????????????/

Dude, just please stop talking now, just stop........
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Lolstig hardly sounds like a radical zealot. He even quotes the AHA recommendation of reducing sugar (perhaps why many on MFP complain about the low sugar recommendations here and the need to "delete sugar tracking" or "ignore sugar" from their diaries.

Here's the last paragraph from his article above:

"The concept of sugar addiction will continue to evoke visceral responses on both sides of the aisle. One thing most agree on is that sugar should be safe—and rare. That means “real” food. In the short term, Americans must watch out for ourselves, and that means cooking for ourselves. The American Heart Association recommends a reduction in consumption from our current 22 teaspoons per day to six for women and nine for men; a reduction by two-thirds to three-quarters. Our current consumption is over our limit and our “processed” food supply is designed to keep it that way. Food should confer wellness, not illness. The industry feeds our sugar habit to the detriment of our society. We need food purveyors, not food pushers."

And, we have reached the laugh and point portion of today's entertainment.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering, why people that have no problem with moderating sugar, are actually arguing with people that feel they have a problem with it and are trying to band together for support?

Control issues much?
    This will never be resolved. People that binge on sugary things and can't control it is real. Is it the sugar? no, otherwise why not just use a spoon and dig in to a sugar bowl, so it's not sugar. It's the combination of sugar in it's many forms, mostly refined carbs and a good balance of fat and salt. The effect on some people is overwhelming and they need to cut back on those foods, and why fruit or other natural sugar sources don't effect most of those people in the same way.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Lolstig hardly sounds like a radical zealot.

You do know his name is Lustig and not Lolstig?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options

Control issues much?
    Support also has to do with educating and providing good information to assist in their issue. Lots of information, especially in the diet and fitness industry is convoluted and many really have no idea what to do.
    Whatever position people take on sugar will usually be attached to what their knowledge is on it. And some really don't know that much about it.
    So let's put it out there and let them read it, research it, and eventually with more information, they can make a decision.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a bigger problem than sugar for me.
    First off, I find the first week or so that I stop eating it is quite hard - after that I've got into the habit of not eating it.

Word.
    I love cheese SO MUCH. (except taleggio, because that stuff is nasty.)

I managed to kick my Sunkist habit down to one stubby a day. (They make lil 8oz stubby cans, perfect for a wee jolt in the morning!)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i'm a sugar addict! i tried the whole30 in january and that helped open my eyes to how added sugar is in a lot of foods, and it helped me refocus my diet on feeling good, not tasting good things.

i haven't heard of that book you cited though.

my tips? limit condiments with sugar (heinz ketchup, a lot of mustards, a lot of hot sauces, most BBQs) and strengthen your discipline so if you have a bit of sweet, you don't binge. i'm the kind of person who eats 1 cookie, then eats 5 more, and is sick to my stomach the rest of the night feeling like an idiot. so i try to remember the feeling i get after eating too much. it's taken a couple years to be better at it though. trying to enjoy savory snacks more too.