Calling all sugar addicts!

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    "Which brings us to sugar. Another fun substance, full of energy, made up of two molecules linked together: glucose (kind of sweet, and not that much fun), and fructose (very sweet, and a whole lot of fun). Glucose is a nutrient, although not essential—it’s so important, that if you don’t eat it, your liver will make it. But what about fructose? Is fructose a nutrient? As it turns out, there’s no biochemical reaction that requires dietary fructose. A rare genetic disease called Hereditary Fructose Intolerance afflicts 1 in 100,000 babies, who drop their blood sugar to almost zero and have a seizure upon their first exposure to juice from a bottle at age six months. Doctors perform a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. From that moment on, they’re fructose-free for the rest of their lives. And they’re among the healthiest people on the planet. Alcohol and fructose both supply energy. They’re fun—but they are not nutrients. Strike two."

Source http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-sugar-addiction-taboo/282699/

My thoughts: Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic. But alcoholics exist.

No everyone who eats sugar is addicted to it. But some people react to sugar, behaviorally and biochemically, in a very similar way as an addict.

You love posting junky stuff, an article from Lolstig?

Robert H. Lolstig is a pediatric neuroendocrinologist and a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. He is former chairman of the obesity task force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society

What are your credentials, Acg67?
    Lustig unfortunately has quite a bit of baggage, Zealots often do. Because of your overall beliefs which are also in line with his, maybe doing research that contradicts that premise might be a good starting point to be more balanced in this overall complicated subject as opposed to falling to the appeal to authority flaw.

Lolstig hardly sounds like a radical zealot. He even quotes the AHA recommendation of reducing sugar (perhaps why many on MFP complain about the low sugar recommendations here and the need to "delete sugar tracking" or "ignore sugar" from their diaries.

Here's the last paragraph from his article above:

"The concept of sugar addiction will continue to evoke visceral responses on both sides of the aisle. One thing most agree on is that sugar should be safe—and rare. That means “real” food. In the short term, Americans must watch out for ourselves, and that means cooking for ourselves. The American Heart Association recommends a reduction in consumption from our current 22 teaspoons per day to six for women and nine for men; a reduction by two-thirds to three-quarters. Our current consumption is over our limit and our “processed” food supply is designed to keep it that way. Food should confer wellness, not illness. The industry feeds our sugar habit to the detriment of our society. We need food purveyors, not food pushers."

Source http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-sugar-addiction-taboo/282699/
    Based on your posting history about sugar and fructose I really am not going to comment further, your going to support your beliefs from the sources that best do that. What's the definition of that, I forget. Cheers.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering, why people that have no problem with moderating sugar, are actually arguing with people that feel they have a problem with it and are trying to band together for support?

Control issues much?
    This will never be resolved. People that binge on sugary things and can't control it is real. Is it the sugar? no, otherwise why not just use a spoon and dig in to a sugar bowl, so it's not sugar. It's the combination of sugar in it's many forms, mostly refined carbs and a good balance of fat and salt. The effect on some people is overwhelming and they need to cut back on those foods, and why fruit or other natural sugar sources don't effect most of those people in the same way.

Here is the deal, it does not effect anyone else if a person decides to cut out sugar of their life. Just like it should not effect anyone that I have cut alcohol out of my life. There are people that actually get angry with me for not being able to have a drink, I really do not see what business it is of theirs. I have had several people try to talk me into drinking, and basically try to shame me into thinking I was less of a person because I was not able to moderate it. That is abusive in my opinion.

It seems almost like people on here try to argue a point down to the molecule. When a person says they have issues with moderating sugar, most often they mean processed and refined sugar. I have inflammatory issues with refined sugar but not fructose. So all of this arguing back and forth because one person reached out for help is sad to me.

This world would be grand if everyone could moderate everything. There would be no children killed by drunk drivers, type 2 diabetes would be virtually extinct as well as many other diseases caused by obesity due to over consumption of sugar and processed and refined foods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "Which brings us to sugar. Another fun substance, full of energy, made up of two molecules linked together: glucose (kind of sweet, and not that much fun), and fructose (very sweet, and a whole lot of fun). Glucose is a nutrient, although not essential—it’s so important, that if you don’t eat it, your liver will make it. But what about fructose? Is fructose a nutrient? As it turns out, there’s no biochemical reaction that requires dietary fructose. A rare genetic disease called Hereditary Fructose Intolerance afflicts 1 in 100,000 babies, who drop their blood sugar to almost zero and have a seizure upon their first exposure to juice from a bottle at age six months. Doctors perform a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. From that moment on, they’re fructose-free for the rest of their lives. And they’re among the healthiest people on the planet. Alcohol and fructose both supply energy. They’re fun—but they are not nutrients. Strike two."

My thoughts: Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic. But alcoholics exist.

No everyone who eats sugar is addicted to it. But some people react to sugar, behaviorally and biochemically, in a very similar way as an addict.

my thoughts on your thoughts….Yes, not everyone who drinks alcohol is not an alcoholic; however, all alcoholics are addicted to ALL forms of alcohol ….you don't se any alcoholics saying .."well, I can drink beer and not be addicted, but I am totally addicted to hard liquor….", which brings us back to my premise which is that if you are truly addicted to sugar you should have to avoid it in ALL forms….

Well not fruit sugars cause they have fiber to slow down absorption, it's just like alcoholics that can drink perfectly fine in moderation if they have a little food in their stomachs to slow absorption of alcohol down

WHAT???????????????????/

Dude, just please stop talking now, just stop........

I believe that was sarcasm that just went right over the top of your head.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Robert H. Lolstig is a pediatric neuroendocrinologist and a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. He is former chairman of the obesity task force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society

Lustig unfortunately has quite a bit of baggage, Zealots often do. Because of your overall beliefs which are also in line with his, maybe doing research that contradicts that premise might be a good starting point to be more balanced in this overall complicated subject as opposed to falling to the appeal to authority flaw.

Lolstig hardly sounds like a radical zealot. He even quotes the AHA recommendation of reducing sugar (perhaps why many on MFP complain about the low sugar recommendations here and the need to "delete sugar tracking" or "ignore sugar" from their diaries.

Here's the last paragraph from his article above:

"The concept of sugar addiction will continue to evoke visceral responses on both sides of the aisle. One thing most agree on is that sugar should be safe—and rare. That means “real” food. In the short term, Americans must watch out for ourselves, and that means cooking for ourselves. The American Heart Association recommends a reduction in consumption from our current 22 teaspoons per day to six for women and nine for men; a reduction by two-thirds to three-quarters. Our current consumption is over our limit and our “processed” food supply is designed to keep it that way. Food should confer wellness, not illness. The industry feeds our sugar habit to the detriment of our society. We need food purveyors, not food pushers."

Based on your posting history about sugar and fructose I really am not going to comment further, your going to support your beliefs from the sources that best do that. What's the definition of that, I forget. Cheers.

Sorry, just posting what corresponds to my own personal experience. Everyone has slightly different physiology and biochemistry. Even Atkins, in the final phase of low carb, stated that you have to experiment with the carb level that helps you maintain and doesn't cause the return of sugar cravings, and that carb/sugar amount is likely not the same across the board because everyone's genetics and personal biochemical responses are slightly different.

I'm out now. I hope anyone who has sugar issues will friend me and we can support each other! :flowerforyou:
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    can one of you explain the harm in wanting to reduce your sugar intake? just because you all DON'T doesn't mean it's not a perfectly valid goal.

*sigh*
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    can one of you explain the harm in wanting to reduce your sugar intake? just because you all DON'T doesn't mean it's not a perfectly valid goal.

*sigh*

Oh. Good. The coach is in to change the subject a few times. More entertainment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Let me just iterate that practically all processed foods have some sugar in it one way or the other. Again it's palatable and the food industry knows this which is why lots of processed foods are laced with it. Their whole objective is to get people to spend money on their product so they can make more money regardless of the toll it may take on some people. Do we really think the food industry really cares how overweight and obese the US is getting? Of course not or they'd make a better product. They sell products that they know the average person will buy and consume in large amounts. And since sugar is in a lot of them, many people feel that the habitual eating patterns they are used to with processed foods and switching to more whole foods, denies them that taste.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    my thoughts on your thoughts….Yes, not everyone who drinks alcohol is not an alcoholic; however, all alcoholics are addicted to ALL forms of alcohol ….you don't se any alcoholics saying .."well, I can drink beer and not be addicted, but I am totally addicted to hard liquor….", which brings us back to my premise which is that if you are truly addicted to sugar you should have to avoid it in ALL forms….

Actually, your statement is not true. I have a relative that is an alcoholic. When he was drinking out of control (arrests, lost jobs, forced rehab, etc.) he drank beer. Over a decade later, he now occasionally drinks whiskey. He will not touch beer because he says he is sure if he drinks beer he will get out of control again. He hates whiskey, so that's all he ever drinks.

Also, check out Moderation Management. http://www.moderation.org/
  • skinniersandycomingsoon
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sandy and I'm a sugar addict. I'm relatively new to MYF, so be nice to me.

Yesterday I ate an entire bag of Cadbury mini eggs. This, after pretty much being good for a week.

I am so weak.

I'm having trouble with the whole "today is a new day" thing, but I'm trying to convince myself to go there - and to the gym as well. Which is hard when it's -10F outside.

Thanks for letting me unload.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Let me just iterate that practically all processed foods have some sugar in it one way or the other. Again it's palatable and the food industry knows this which is why lots of processed foods are laced with it. Their whole objective is to get people to spend money on their product so they can make more money regardless of the toll it may take on some people. Do we really think the food industry really cares how overweight and obese the US is getting? Of course not or they'd make a better product. They sell products that they know the average person will buy and consume in large amounts. And since sugar is in a lot of them, many people feel that the habitual eating patterns they are used to with processed foods and switching to more whole foods, denies them that taste.

IDEA Fitness member

agreed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Why are you so convinced that someone couldn't become addicted to something because it's palatable?

Honestly, I don't know where I stand on sugar addiction, but I think there is enough evidence to warrant study. Sex 'addicts' (which I find harder to believe than sugar addiction) are addicted to a sensation. Taste is also a sensation.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sandy and I'm a sugar addict. I'm relatively new to MYF, so be nice to me.

Yesterday I ate an entire bag of Cadbury mini eggs. This, after pretty much being good for a week.

I am so weak.

I'm having trouble with the whole "today is a new day" thing, but I'm trying to convince myself to go there - and to the gym as well. Which is hard when it's -10F outside.

Thanks for letting me unload.

Winter can be brutal for your self discipline and will power - it has been for mine. I've had days where I don't leave my apartment because... ugh... snow and cold and ... ugh. :tongue:

But the good news is that today IS a new day and your body is incredibly resilient. Hell it probably doesn't even remember that bag of chocolate even though you still do!

If you're having trouble maybe you're being too hard on yourself and too restrictive. The first step in all of this is focusing on total calories before any macros or micros, so make sure you've got that part under control before you depress yourself because you had a bag of candy. I guarantee that one "slip up" will have zero impact on your overall success by the time everything is said and done. It's a drop in the bucket. Use it as a catalyst towards what you CAN do today to get the body and the life you want, since there ain't nothin' you can do about having already eaten the stuff!

Good luck!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Why are you so convinced that someone couldn't become addicted to something because it's palatable?

Honestly, I don't know where I stand on sugar addiction, but I think there is enough evidence to warrant study. Sex 'addicts' (which I find harder to believe than sugar addiction) are addicted to a sensation. Taste is also a sensation.

oh ok, to me what he described WAS sugar addiction. Did I misinterpret?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I just think it's not accurate to call it an addiction. I guess I was addicted to food then, since that's what caused me to gain weight and I can't stop doing it. If you're wanting to reduce sugar consumption to moderate amounts or aiming to be healthier, more power to you but I wouldn't call the desire to eat sugary things an addiction. When I eat 3 girl scout cookies, do I want more? Simple answer is yes. But I hold the power to not grab another. I also plan things that help keep my satisfied so that I'm not hungry enough to feel an overwhelming urge. Balancing your intake with more filling things like whole foods high in fat and protein really help to curb binging and urges to get silly with sugary things.
  • psylvester1
    Options
    bump
  • Eliza4179
    Options
    I don't usually respond to threads on here, but I'd like to respond to this one.

I, too and a sugar-aholic person....or should I say, I used to be. I have had many issues with weight my entire life as well as some other health issues. I started looking more closely at things and started doing research on a candida overgrowth in my system, which yes I do have.

I started the candida diet. I have given up A LOT of things. Sugar is top of the list including all types of sugar with the exception of stevia or xylitol. I do not eat fruits since they contain natural sugars. I have become a label reading expert. I can scan a label quickly for 'trigger' words and immediately put it down.

Don't get me wrong, this has been HARD and SUCKED a lot, but I am on day 24 now of this diet with nothing processed, no sugars, no caffene, and many other things.....but I feel awesome now!! I did it cold turkey one day, and just pulled my willpower out to say no to things that I simply can not have anymore.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

http://feinmantheother.com/2011/07/29/wait-a-minute-lustig-the-threat-of-fructophobia-and-the-opportunity/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Many doctors can have extreme views, especially when it makes them money. Dr. Oz is the epitome of that. You have to keep in mind there are good doctors and bad doctors. Additionally correlating a condition that occurs in 1 in 100,000 babies does NOT apply to a population at whole. There are many references that discuss in detail about lustigs views. Also keep in mind that Lustig is a neuroendocrinologist... he doesn't have his PhD in any nutrition field.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

*sigh*

The argument is over the semantic of being physically addicted to sugar.. not that it's a good idea to moderate sugar. Unless you have a medical condition or an issue with binging, there are much bigger things to worry about than sugar.
  • failteromhat
    failteromhat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    find sugar extremely difficult too. Even though I am eating a lot of fruit at the moment, I think about chocolate all the time. I think its the combo of fat and sugar that is particularly delicious. SIgh
  • cwsreddy
    Options

*sigh*

The argument is over the semantic of being physically addicted to sugar.. not that it's a good idea to moderate sugar. Unless you have a medical condition or an issue with binging, there are much bigger things to worry about than sugar.

Having a high sugar intake is *generally* indicative of a poor diet overall and I think that's why many health gurus point to it as being a problem. As niner said, if your diet is high in processed foods it's also going to be high in sugar.

And I don't really see why it's hard to grasp that there is an addiction of sorts to sugar. I'm not an expert so I don't know if it's physical or psychological, but my Mom has to have a coke or two every single day. Is it just habit? Is it more than that? I don't know but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.