Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options
15678911»

Replies

• celah13
    celah13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit for two years and I love it, the only issues are having too big of an ego to scale things properly and some of the coaches suck (so I've heard, all of the people I've worked with are awesome). It is incredibly popular right now so people hear about all the negatives associated with it. Athletes get injured all the time, regardless of sport, Crossfit is no different. When you are pushing your body to its limits, there is always risk of injury.

I find that the people who are the most down on it, are people who can't handle it. It's intense and some people can't handle that level of intensity. I don't make fun of people who spend two hours a day for years reading a magazine on an elliptical and are still as out of shape as when they started, but those are the people who talk crap about Crossfit. I see worse form in the free wight area of my gym than in Crossfit, where we have coaches teaching and supervising proper form.

In the end, the fitness program you choose is your choice. I love my choice, it has been extremely effective for me and my goals.
  • celah13
    Options
    What people fail to understand is that Crossfit WODs are essentially cardio, it will not make you stronger in the long run. If you are doing the prescribed weight for everything, that is as strong as you will get, if all you do is the 20 minute WOD every day. I do my group class, I also run, swim, and a powerlifting program for strength and a regular weights program for aesthetic muscle development. The people who compete do a lot of other stuff on top of the group class. The WOD is about 20% of my routine every day.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Different Strokes.
    The XF evangelists can get a little carried away.
    I could never do XF because I can't do anything with impact.
    We are all different. Whatever works is good.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I find that the people who are the most down on it, are people who can't handle it. It's intense and some people can't handle that level of intensity. I don't make fun of people who spend two hours a day for years reading a magazine on an elliptical and are still as out of shape as when they started, but those are the people who talk crap about Crossfit.

That might be the preferred straw man, but I don't think it's particularly accurate. I don't see the workouts as beneficial or particularly compatible with a lifting routine in many cases, and I find kipping to be hilarious.

I figure if crossfit got rid of kipping, at least half the mockery and negativity would disappear.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find that the people who are the most down on it, are people who can't handle it. It's intense and some people can't handle that level of intensity. I don't make fun of people who spend two hours a day for years reading a magazine on an elliptical and are still as out of shape as when they started, but those are the people who talk crap about Crossfit. I see worse form in the free wight area of my gym than in Crossfit, where we have coaches teaching and supervising proper form.

In the end, the fitness program you choose is your choice. I love my choice, it has been extremely effective for me and my goals.

that's totally incorrect.

well- the people who are down on it are the one's who can't handle it.

the choosing part? that's correct.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I find that the people who are the most down on it, are people who can't handle it. It's intense and some people can't handle that level of intensity.

So, I'm a big CrossFitter and I'm thrilled to hear you love it. This statement though is one of the reasons why CrossFitters get so much hate. Just because someone doesn't agree with CrossFit, or do CrossFit, doesn't mean they can't handle CrossFit.

There are a wide range of reasons to do CrossFit - and there are a wide range of reasons to not do CrossFit. It's a personal choice, as you said, that is not always a reflection of fitness.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's not silly, but I'm turned off at the price considering they don't have expensive machines and equipment and I've only ever found them in industrial sections or old garages in scuzzy neighbourhoods.

And I'm sorry but you're paying for group classes, not individual training. Not hating on it, do what you like but I don't see the benefit for the cost here.

totally agree....way overpriced for something that isn't even individual training sessions.
    Crazy.

Have you ever actually taken a single crossfit class? Or are you basing this on the accounts of others?

Full disclosure: I let the things I had heard about crossfit keep me from seriously considering it for many years...until my chriopractor finally pointed out that he had treated me fairly consistently for stupid stuff I had done to myself, so why did I think crossfit would be any more dangerous? I signed up the next week and found that the rumors I had heard had been greatly exaggerated...and by that, I mean, most of them were absolute lies.

TL;DR - never be a gullible lemming.

The only reason I tried crossfit was to make up my own mind and because I was looking for something new after years of body building type workouts. I found crossfit was just meh. The WOD's were challenging, just not enough. Not enough time spent working on strength, not enough time on the WOD's. Too much time stretching an mobility (seriously, that is something I can do on my own).

What it did do was to introduce my to oly lifing which turned out to be the something new I was looking for.

Anyway, not sorry I tried it.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I find that the people who are the most down on it, are people who can't handle it. It's intense and some people can't handle that level of intensity.

So, I'm a big CrossFitter and I'm thrilled to hear you love it. This statement though is one of the reasons why CrossFitters get so much hate. Just because someone doesn't agree with CrossFit, or do CrossFit, doesn't mean they can't handle CrossFit.

There are a wide range of reasons to do CrossFit - and there are a wide range of reasons to not do CrossFit. It's a personal choice, as you said, that is not always a reflection of fitness.

Thank you.

I have plenty of friends who crossfit and most of them don't have such a terrible attitude. I can handle the WOD's just fine.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's not silly, but I'm turned off at the price considering they don't have expensive machines and equipment and I've only ever found them in industrial sections or old garages in scuzzy neighbourhoods.

And I'm sorry but you're paying for group classes, not individual training. Not hating on it, do what you like but I don't see the benefit for the cost here.

totally agree....way overpriced for something that isn't even individual training sessions.
    Crazy.

Have you ever actually taken a single crossfit class? Or are you basing this on the accounts of others?

Full disclosure: I let the things I had heard about crossfit keep me from seriously considering it for many years...until my chriopractor finally pointed out that he had treated me fairly consistently for stupid stuff I had done to myself, so why did I think crossfit would be any more dangerous? I signed up the next week and found that the rumors I had heard had been greatly exaggerated...and by that, I mean, most of them were absolute lies.

TL;DR - never be a gullible lemming.

The only reason I tried crossfit was to make up my own mind and because I was looking for something new after years of body building type workouts. I found crossfit was just meh. The WOD's were challenging, just not enough. Not enough time spent working on strength, not enough time on the WOD's. Too much time stretching an mobility (seriously, that is something I can do on my own).

What it did do was to introduce my to oly lifing which turned out to be the something new I was looking for.

Anyway, not sorry I tried it.

Then it sounds like you went about it the right way.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I enjoy crossfit because i get chuckles out of all the crossfit idiots on my fb and ig who post all their dumb crossfit related stuff like WOD and doing 1,000 burpees. Oh and can't forget LOLPaleo. Funniest is when they randomly post question for tips on how to build lean mass lol
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    $180/month to learn kipping pull ups seems silly to me.

hahaha :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, they are not all bad, and I applaud anyone trying to better themselves, no matter what it is, as long as they are doing it in a safe manner.

I live in a small town without all the chain gyms you are probably accustomed to. My regular gym is $55 per month and my CF is $95 so I choose to pay $40 more per month for more personalized instruction. I go to both because I swim, but my regular gym can't compare to the service I get at my box. Fitness is pretty much my main hobby so I spend $$$ on yoga, hiking equipment, cross country skiing stuff, running shoes, swimming stuffs, pole fitness classes, gas to travel to an o-lifting gym 100 miles away, blah blah blah...and I do feel that out of all the fitness stuff I spend money on, I get the most bang for my buck out of CF.

I don't know who isn't getting personalized instruction, but my coaches come around and talk to me during every WOD. They also stay after if I want to work on something and help me. They answer my texts, send my articles and videos, and reply to every stupid question I send them to their FB inbox.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't do Crossfit, but it brought the barbell back. And that makes it fine by me.
  • celah13
    Options
    I may have made an over generalization, what I mean is that of the people I've personally talked to who are really against Crossfit are those that either tried it and it made them feel bad because they couldn't handle it or those that refuse to try it because they're scared. This has been my personal experience. I know powerlifters who would have a heart attack trying to to do a Crossfit work out and I know marathoners who struggle to lift a standard bar. Crossfit combines the best of both worlds and offers a foundation on which to build a fit body and lifestyle.