Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    So then:
    *Crossfit has lots of shizzdoodles, so even though they are a welcoming community I should avoid crossfit unless I want injuries.
    *I can't use a gym or fitness center because I don't know the proper forms or anything and just get mocked when I'm not hurting myself.
    *I can't shop gyms and trainers, because I don't know a good trainer from a bad one.

THIS is the sort of crap that's kept me (and many others) away for decades. I want to do something but fitness centers and gyms exist for people who are already in the fitness club; those of us who desperately need it are shamed into staying away by all you cool people who know wtf they're doing. Even if I could afford a "personal trainer/instructor" to teach me, every Joe & Jane looking for a quick buck can call themselves a trainer and again, how do you shop for one when you don't know enough to know good from bad.

So now that I'm getting serious about my health, I assume that I'll just go buy some DVD's. For now, walking seems to be best for me.

Stick with walking if you like-- it can be a fine workout, depending on where you're at in your journey and what your goals are.

But please, don't blame everyone else for your own choice to avoid weight training or gyms.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think so at all. I started beginning of January and went through 12 1 hour training classes. I picked Crossfit because I wanted to start lifting and priced out all of the options. When I go to a WOD the actual workout is only 12-30 minutes, usually 20 minutes, and the rest of the hour consists of warmup, review of the moves and getting setup for the WOD (so the trainer makes sure I have the right weight and goes over my form so I'm doing it right) then stretching after the WOD.
    I basically have personal training included for only $140 per month and if I was insane I could go 7 days per week. Trainers around here at normal gyms cost $65 per hour and up. Boot camp class type things which are similar to Crossfit cost $180+ per month for 12 sessions on top of your gym membership or are over $200 at boot camp only type places.
    I love that it isn't just lifting, I get a cardio workout in as well. The group element is fun and yeah we are kinda cultish but it is cool.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

Yeah this one gets my vote for silliest too.

Prancersize is funny but my mom had Body Flex. Which said you could lose weight by "aerobic breathing" and it looked like this:

1390680760_5p6yz5_j1z3.gif

I remember this! :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    seems like most people's issues are about the price. haters gonna hate. not everyone has issues paying $200 a month :wink:

i used to do crossfit and probably still would be a member of that box if a)they didnt move to a location that's a little bit harder to get to and b)the class times weren't so inconvenient for people who work. the second point is really the main reason i cancelled because i'm like yeah ok i'm fine to pay the $200 to work out in a group atmosphere and chat up hot men between sets and tell my trainers to STFU about paleo but im not independently wealthy and have to work for da man to be able to pay.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

Yeah this one gets my vote for silliest too.

Prancersize is funny but my mom had Body Flex. Which said you could lose weight by "aerobic breathing" and it looked like this:

1390680760_5p6yz5_j1z3.gif

LOL @ aerobic breathing!! Isn''t all breating aerobic? I'd hate to do anaerobic breathing. I'd die! Literally!!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    So then:
    *Crossfit has lots of shizzdoodles, so even though they are a welcoming community I should avoid crossfit unless I want injuries.
    *I can't use a gym or fitness center because I don't know the proper forms or anything and just get mocked when I'm not hurting myself.
    *I can't shop gyms and trainers, because I don't know a good trainer from a bad one.

THIS is the sort of crap that's kept me (and many others) away for decades. I want to do something but fitness centers and gyms exist for people who are already in the fitness club; those of us who desperately need it are shamed into staying away by all you cool people who know wtf they're doing. Even if I could afford a "personal trainer/instructor" to teach me, every Joe & Jane looking for a quick buck can call themselves a trainer and again, how do you shop for one when you don't know enough to know good from bad.

So now that I'm getting serious about my health, I assume that I'll just go buy some DVD's. For now, walking seems to be best for me.

Every crossfit club has an introductory course. . It's (I think) a month of courses that teach you form and lifts and basically get you past that hurdle that's holding you back of not knowing what to do and being embarrassed. At my box the course and the first month are about $120 and you are not bound to a contract after that. You basically sign up if you want to stay or go your merry way. At the very least, you'll come away more confident with your knowledge of technique and educated on lifting and working out in general.
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep:drinker:
    I dont normally post on these things but this got my goat!

1. I have been crossfitting for over 9 months and my coach refuses to teach me to kip because of two reasons - my shoulder stability isnt good enough and i cant do 15 strict deadhang pull ups.
    2. Crossfit isnt dangerous, bad coaching is and ego is!
    3. The fittest man/wmen in the world will outrun a lifter and outlift a runner - yes, there may be some that are fitter but can they cover every element of fitness and still be the best? Doubt it
    4. Don't knock it until you've tried it
    5. I guarentee you will work harder in a crossfit session than you will in any other type of class as well as using every aspect of your fitness - strength, aerobic capacity, flexibility, mobility, gymnasticskills, power etc.
    6. I've seen worse teachnique in a standard gym where there are 10 trainers stood mocking someones form instead of making an effort to fix it.
    7. In no crossfit box will you see someone sat on a bike, reading a magazine then sitting down in the bar/cafe drinking a skinny latte proposing that its healthy!
    8. There are bad trainers everywhere - regardless of the modality of training.
    9. Every workout is scaled - if someone cant lift, perform a movment safely and effectively then they are given an alternative weight and/or exercise until they are safe and efficient at that lift/movement!

Rant over.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I participated in a handful of Cross Fit sessions and these were the positives that I got from it:

- Very inclusive
    - Gets you out of your comfort zone
    - There are alternative moves
    - Very encouraging
    - Great group atmosphere
    - Great instructors

However, I didn't stick to it because working out indoors just plain sucks for me. That includes the gym, group classes and cross fit. I only workout indoors if the weather stops me from going outside. In addition, the gym that I went to charged $250/month. Um, no. LOL.

I think people should do whatever works for them. If that's cross fit, good for you. Prancersize...hey...whatever floats your boat and gets you moving.

For me, cycling, walking, running and x-country skiing are what work for me. I get to do those activities with DH and that's what I enjoy. I am trying to incorporate some body weight exercises into my routine, but that's a work in progress. The great outdoors is my gym/box/whatever you want to call it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

so much wrong with this it's not even funny.

Gyms' aren't for the fit people.

They are for the people who WANT to get fit.

You know ever single one of those ultra fit "fat shamming" people? Really? they were all super fit from the day they were born? all jocks in high school?

really? Most of them were average people who were either really out of shape or fat- and decided to change their lives. They are just on a different part of the path than you are. Why so much hate for people who work hard- you are projecting your insecurities on people who literally don't even know you exist much less care about you. I can tell you- unlike the snarky office friends- or girlfriends who give you crappy diet tips and lure you out for drinks and crappy appetizers and only want to go take a zumba class once a week- THOSE people that you hate and thing are so judgemental? They are the ones mentally cheering you on- are the first to high five you for showing up every day- are the first to give you the respect "head nod" for you showing up and doing the work.

no one cares about you when you work out at the gym- people who are in shape- are to busy working on their own stuff to think about it.

And actually if you are out of shape and you come in and do your thing- guess what- I give mad mental props and respect to those people I see coming in and busting their butts at the gym.

You're own insecurities keep you- you are projecting onto people who have the complete opposite feeling that you think.

Walking is great- but you don't see fabulous athletic fit people walking to much. And while I understand sometimes the goal is "to just not be fat" (and there is nothing wrong with that) projecting and shunning a perfectly legitimate and obviously successful way to train and become fit- is illogical and irrational.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So then:

I gotta weight in with the people who are telling you that your statement is just ridiculous. Don't let self-consciousness keep you away from doing something you want to do.
    Most people do not judge you in a gym. The people who look good, or look strong, they know how much hard work went in to getting there. So they know it is not inherent, and they do not judge.
    Ironanimal suggested that you do some research on programs, exercises and form, and then you join a serious gym -- not a lightweight gym. I gotta agree with him. The people at the serious gyms like what they do, and people who like what they do naturally want to share it. (Most of them anyway.) They do not care how good you are; they know they have room for improvement too. That's why they are there.
    P.S. A lot of the ethos of Crossfit has to do with helping each other and encouraging each other in workouts -- if you want to try Crossfit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

so much wrong with this it's not even funny.

Gyms' aren't for the fit people.

They are for the people who WANT to get fit.

You know ever single one of those ultra fit "fat shamming" people? Really? they were all super fit from the day they were born? all jocks in high school?

really? Most of them were average people who were either really out of shape or fat- and decided to change their lives. They are just on a different part of the path than you are. Why so much hate for people who work hard- you are projecting your insecurities on people who literally don't even know you exist much less care about you. I can tell you- unlike the snarky office friends- or girlfriends who give you crappy diet tips and lure you out for drinks and crappy appetizers and only want to go take a zumba class once a week- THOSE people that you hate and thing are so judgemental? They are the ones mentally cheering you on- are the first to high five you for showing up every day- are the first to give you the respect "head nod" for you showing up and doing the work.

no one cares about you when you work out at the gym- people who are in shape- are to busy working on their own stuff to think about it.

And actually if you are out of shape and you come in and do your thing- guess what- I give mad mental props and respect to those people I see coming in and busting their butts at the gym.

You're own insecurities keep you- you are projecting onto people who have the complete opposite feeling that you think.

Walking is great- but you don't see fabulous athletic fit people walking to much. And while I understand sometimes the goal is "to just not be fat" (and there is nothing wrong with that) projecting and shunning a perfectly legitimate and obviously successful way to train and become fit- is illogical and irrational.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    seems like most people's issues are about the price. haters gonna hate. not everyone has issues paying $200 a month :wink:

i used to do crossfit and probably still would be a member of that box if a)they didnt move to a location that's a little bit harder to get to and b)the class times weren't so inconvenient for people who work. the second point is really the main reason i cancelled because i'm like yeah ok i'm fine to pay the $200 to work out in a group atmosphere and chat up hot men between sets and tell my trainers to STFU about paleo but im not independently wealthy and have to work for da man to be able to pay.

I'm convinced that the Crossfit boxes in my area don't care about 9 to 5 workers. That is NOT their market because avg 9 to 5'rs can't afford it. So, their classes are at times when more wealthy independent people can go. Not at 6am, but, at 9am, for example. Not at 7pm, but at 4pm, for example. I think it's on purpose. And, when I went to talk to them, they very strongly emphasized the price and asked a couple times if I was able to commit to it. They asked what I do, as well. It was around $180/mo, but it varies a lot depending on how many times a week you go.

Mostly, what turns me off is not the price, but the class schedules. I mistakenly thought that classes were optional and that you could just go there and workout on your own, if you wanted. NO, no, no. You cannot. Since I don't like classes, since, I just like to do my own thing when I want to do it, since the class times don't jive with my schedule, and since I really don't want to spend $180/mo for my purposes, I decide that the Crossfit way of life isn't for me. Plus, every time they say Paleo, I would just laugh. So, there's that.

That's just weird schedule at that gym. Our class schedule is 5:15, 6:15, 7:15, 12, 4:15, 5:15, 6:15, 6:15.
  • PRMinx
    Options

For what it's worth, every time I see some new people in the elements class - especially those who are visibly out of shape - I feel excited for them that they 1) had the courage to get started and 2) they are about to join an amazing community who will support them for as long as they will have it. And then I go over and say "Hi" and "Welcome" and "Good for you for giving it a shot!"
  • JoRocka
    Options

For what it's worth, every time I see some new people in the elements class - especially those who are visibly out of shape - I feel excited for them that they 1) had the courage to get started and 2) they are about to join an amazing community who will support them for as long as they will have it. And then I go over and say "Hi" and "Welcome" and "Good for you for giving it a shot!"

yuppers.

If we aren't the first in line to high five you- it's because we are busy - but trust- we see you- and we support you even if we don't say it we are just busy too. I love watching people change- it's rare you get to see a full transformation- but it happens and you get to walk up to them one day and go- damn man- you are impressive- that's a lot of work you did- I really respect that.
  • PRMinx
    Options

yuppers.

If we aren't the first in line to high five you- it's because we are busy - but trust- we see you- and we support you even if we don't say it we are just busy too. I love watching people change- it's rare you get to see a full transformation- but it happens and you get to walk up to them one day and go- damn man- you are impressive- that's a lot of work you did- I really respect that.

AMEN.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Crossfit has done more to put barbells in the hands of average people than any other exercise modality to come before, so you shouldn't knock it. It's only "silly" if you have bad coaches at your local box and are unable to correctly gauge your own limitations.
    This, I have spent years in the gym training like a body builder, and countless miles out on the road running. Crossfit is the most challenging and rewarding thing I have ever done. It's not for the meek of heart or spirit.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    And one more thing...since we are chatting about being uncomfortable in the gym....anytime you push yourself to do something hard you are going to be uncomfortable.

Even though I had been CrossFitting for 8 months to specifically prepare for the Tough Mudder, I still freaked out right before it started. It took a lot to not turn around and run away.

Now I've been CrossFitting for a year. I just signed up for the CrossFit open. I'm freaking out! It's scary, I'm going to have to scale it and I'm no where near as strong as some of my box's competitors, let alone all those in the world. But, f&ck it. Embarrassment fades - this is going to make me better in the long run and that's all I care about...

So, just know, everyone has their goals that they are working hard to obtain. In my book, that leaves very little time to judge.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't let self-consciousness keep you away from doing something you want to do.

Just highlighting this comment because it's true...

...and not just re crossfit, but everything in life.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    And one more thing...since we are chatting about being uncomfortable in the gym....anytime you push yourself to do something hard you are going to be uncomfortable.

Even though I had been CrossFitting for 8 months to specifically prepare for the Tough Mudder, I still freaked out right before it started. It took a lot to not turn around and run away.

Now I've been CrossFitting for a year. I just signed up for the CrossFit open. I'm freaking out! It's scary, I'm going to have to scale it and I'm no where near as strong as some of my box's competitors, let alone all those in the world. But, f&ck it. Embarrassment fades - this is going to make me better in the long run and that's all I care about...

So, just know, everyone has their goals that they are working hard to obtain. In my book, that leaves very little time to judge.

that's awesome... I was considering doing something like that- except- well I don't cross fit LOL- but I like the idea of it.

I walked away from a power lift meet recently for various reasons- but I'm really sad I didn't- even if you aren't ready- it's still good to just go for it- seriously- the best thing is experience- experience and knowledge chase away fear and doubt- so just doing the thing- even if you aren't 'competitive' is worth the experience alone to allow yourself to gain confidence. No pressure- just go and do.

Very cool of you!!! :D