Paleo Lifestyle Change?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    why the **** did this thread turn into a ketosis debate?

come the **** on people. jesus.
    I know hard to phathom a thread not meeting your standards. Ketosis is very much a part of the paleo/primal lifestyle......
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Because you are using WebMD as a credible reference. They are nothing but paid by Corporate sponsorships.

I'm not using them as a credible resource, just as an example of the prevalence of the information.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I know hard to phathom a thread not meeting your standards. Ketosis is very much a part of the paleo/primal lifestyle......
    oh i can fathom it, believe me, but I don't recall the OP asking about ketosis. color me crazy
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. It can be, but it doesn't have to be. Many opt for it that are looking to lose fat, weight or improve body comp, but it's certainly not necessary. Some eat plenty of carbs to not be in ketosis or close to it, but are still very much Paleo/Primal.

There oftentimes is a lot of overlap in those Venn Diagram circles, but they are completely separate circles nonetheless.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Not necessarily. It can be, but it doesn't have to be. Many opt for it that are looking to lose fat, weight or improve body comp, but it's certainly not necessary. Some eat plenty of carbs to not be in ketosis or close to it, but are still very much Paleo/Primal.

There oftentimes is a lot of overlap in those Venn Diagram circles, but they are completely separate circles nonetheless.
    Yes I know. Most guru's push the low end of the carb range, with insidious weight gain as a description of what can happen if we eat too many carbs....scary stuff.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of doing it just because of the GERD issue, or do you ave any other reasons? GERD is acid reflux issues, right? I really do not see how paleo would help with acid reflux….

^^ Yeah this.

Lifestyle choices that can contribute to GERD include:

Obesity
    Smoking (active or passive)
    High intake of table salt
    Low dietary fibre
    Low physical exercise
    Medications, including drugs for asthma, calcium-channel blockers, antihistamines, painkillers, sedatives, and antidepressants.

None of that means "go paleo." :huh:

I am not obese, I do not smoke, i eat at least 30 grams of fiber daily & i exercise 5-6x week. The only medication I am on is birth control. However, i still get acid reflux. I wanted to try this paleo lifestyle for the health benefits of what others have said - getting rid of gerd, clearer skin, overall increased energy, better sleep (I wake frequently throughout the night), getting rid of migraines (which i frequently have) etc. i just wanted to know what other people have experienced who have actually followed this lifestyle, even if it was only for a month. back in college, for a long time my friend & i both thought i had Celiac Disease before it was even really big in the news & thought maybe I should cut out gluten or cut back on wheat, etc. i just thought paleo would help & wanted to get more feedback.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hunh.

This puts a few things together:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

Does anybody know the level of the journal (like, is the the go-to journal in the field? Or does it take experiments that don't have main effects, etc.?)
  • neanderthin
    Options

oh i can fathom it, believe me, but I don't recall the OP asking about ketosis. color me crazy
    lol.........you basically failed at your job then, is that what your saying. just kidding. Cheers.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of doing it just because of the GERD issue, or do you ave any other reasons? GERD is acid reflux issues, right? I really do not see how paleo would help with acid reflux….

^^ Yeah this.

Obesity
    Low dietary fibre
    Low physical exercise
    Medications, including drugs for asthma, calcium-channel blockers, antihistamines, painkillers, sedatives, and antidepressants.

I am not obese, I do not smoke, i eat at least 30 grams of fiber daily & i exercise 5-6x week. The only medication I am on is birth control. However, i still get acid reflux. I wanted to try this paleo lifestyle for the health benefits of what others have said - getting rid of gerd, clearer skin, overall increased energy, better sleep (I wake frequently throughout the night), getting rid of migraines (which i frequently have) etc. i just wanted to know what other people have experienced who have actually followed this lifestyle, even if it was only for a month. back in college, for a long time my friend & i both thought i had Celiac Disease before it was even really big in the news & thought maybe I should cut out gluten or cut back on wheat, etc. i just thought paleo would help & wanted to get more feedback.

scary to come back to topic and see what happened to it?
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

This was me too... well... not the birth control part :tongue:

Great shape, young, otherwise 100% healthy but I had crazy bouts of GERD and LPR.

I think it really may behoove you to at least see what happens if you cut out grains for a month. That didn't work for me, so it was clearly issues with my stomach function, but if it works for you at least then you'll know. Sadly because of the lack of knowledge MDs have in the field, we're sort of left to our own devices when it comes to treating this thing.

Good luck :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    When enough protein is consumed, gluconeogenesis can supply all the glucose the body requires while still maintaining lean body mass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7351177

The subjects were both sedentary and obese.

People in that condition can eat not only zero carb, but zero protein and zero fat and still be fine.
    Not really, it's takes 1.6g's of protein to be converted to 1g of glucose and if no food whatsoever is consumed then lean mass is required for function. the egg protein did it's job in this scenario. i would have to look at trained people, but I would suspect that the only extra afford would be a higher consumption of protein to help stay in nitrogen balance, but I'm not sure.

I believe protein turnover in an active (or starving) person can be up to 150 g per day. ~30 g is a standard minimum needed for maintaining protein due to the bodies normal turnover.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

I would not be so sure of that...

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.
    gluconeogenesis. We don't need carbs to survive. The body can create glucose from protein and fat. And as far as I know the inuits survived on a diet that was practically zero carb
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

^^ Yeah this.

Obesity
    Low dietary fibre
    Low physical exercise

Give it a try and see how you feel. You sound very much like my fiance (except he's now given up smoking). He didn't have major digestive issues, but he had some and just feels much better on Primal. He also has always had bad skin (now in his mid-30s) and it looks like it may have been milk the whole time. He's still experimenting with what is exactly causing the reaction, but when he was strictly paleo, it cleared considerably. Not 100%, but probably 90-95%. He was shocked, especially after years of trying also sorts of skin stuff. So, something in his previous diet was doing it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.
    gluconeogenesis. We don't need carbs to survive. The body can create glucose from protein and fat. And as far as I know the inuits survived on a diet that was practically zero carb

Not quite - they get carbs through the summer and have dried berries/roots/etc through the winter. And they physically adapted to processing protein with larger livers. I'm not sure that I'd recommend cutting out a macro-nutrient if there is no health reasons behind it, but I'm learning :)
  • neanderthin
    Options

Not quite - they get carbs through the summer and have dried berries/roots/etc through the winter. And they physically adapted to processing protein with larger livers. I'm not sure that I'd recommend cutting out a macro-nutrient if there is no health reasons behind it, but I'm learning :)
    I agree, carbs are tasty and if someone isn't worried medically about carbs then I see no reason to not eat them. I'm making home made fish and chips tonight....
  • likitisplit
    Options

^^ Yeah this.

Obesity
    Low dietary fibre
    Low physical exercise

If you cut back on gluten, that's wheat, barley, rye and triticale. There are a lot of resources for gluten-free and paleo diets now.

I'd say you have to try it to see if it works for you. There's been many people on this thread that report glowing things about eliminating gluten/going paleo and then there's people it doesn't work for.

Even a diagnosis like GERD might result from different physical issues, so one person with it might benefit from a gluten-free diet and another might not.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will pop in to say, I had chronic headaches for years that just kept getting worse. Even with medications. I tried whole30 and then Paleo afterwards and my headaches are virtually gone. Also I have more energy and feel so much better eating this way. I truly didn't have huge problems giving up wheat/grains. And I ate them a lot. I enjoyed the choices I could have !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    geez, I leave for a few hours and this thread has been totally derailed…how the hell did we go from…

- OP asking about Paloe and Gerd
    - to grand standing and misinterpretation of posts...
    - then to game of thrones
    - then to low carb
    - then to ketosis
    - then OP came back …

would someone like to catch me up as to where the hell this thread is now..?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    geez, I leave for a few hours and this thread has been totally derailed…how the hell did we go from…

- OP asking about Paloe and Gerd
    - to grand standing and misinterpretation of posts...
    - then to game of thrones
    - then to low carb
    - then to ketosis
    - then OP cam back …

would someone like to catch me up as to where the hell this thread is now..?

The OP came back, so we're answering her questions.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on grains won't give you the results of a Paleo lifestyle. Please don't be another person who thinks they can still eat everything usually excluded and then say "Paleo doesn't work". If your goal is to only lose weight and you still want to eat everything that you are currently eating, just eat at a calorie deficit. Eating whole foods, and minimizing processed foods, is a great idea though.

A keto Paleo lifestyle has worked wonders for my health. It's a permanent lifestyle for me. If it wasn't, it would be a FAIL.

Whatever suits you best and is sustainable for your entire life is the only lifestyle that will work for you.

Did you even read my original post? Nowhere did I mention that I want to do it for weight loss. Have you seen my profile picture? I do not need to lose weight. However, I have been reading about all of the health benefits of the paleo lifestyle & just wanted some more personal feedback from people who have actually tried the lifestyle & what their experience was.