Paleo Lifestyle Change?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Note how I am backing up my statements with credible references.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Please explain why we need to eat carbs and certainly to those levels?????

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm

doesn't list levels.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others).

Why is Atkins an "inherent bad diet"?

Because it eliminates carbs, an important macro nutrient.

Atkins doesn't eliminate carbs. You are eating, or should be, eating a lot of vegetables along with your proteins and fats for the first few weeks.

Then you start upping your carb counts slowly all the while adding back in higher carb vegetables, fruits, nuts / seeds, dairy, grains.

Get your facts straight before stating incorrect information.

P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

"The minimum recommended intake of carbohydrates necessary for survival is 130 grams or 520 kcal per day."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

The Atkins diet requires less than that in the first phase:

What You Can Eat and What You Can't

The first part of the plan, called the induction phase, has these rules:

No more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, mostly from certain vegetables
    Protein and fat from poultry, fish, eggs, red meat, butter, and vegetable oils
    No pasta, bread, grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or dairy other than butter, cheese, and cream
    No nuts, seeds, or legumes like beans
    No caffeine
    No alcohol

Next comes the "ongoing weight loss" stage, when you slowly add more vegetables, and you can include seeds, nuts, legumes, berries and other fruit, wine and other low-carb alcohol, and whole grains.

After that, to help keep the weight off, you may be able to eat more carbs and add more foods to your diet, depending on your body's needs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/atkins-diet-what-it-is

They aren't making those recommendations off of human need.

Again, there is NO PHYSIOLOGICAL NEED for carbohydrates in the human diet. Zero, Zilch, None.

We NEED protein, we NEED fats - DO NOT need carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others).

Why is Atkins an "inherent bad diet"?

Because it eliminates carbs, an important macro nutrient.

Atkins doesn't eliminate carbs. You are eating, or should be, eating a lot of vegetables along with your proteins and fats for the first few weeks.

Then you start upping your carb counts slowly all the while adding back in higher carb vegetables, fruits, nuts / seeds, dairy, grains.

P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

"The minimum recommended intake of carbohydrates necessary for survival is 130 grams or 520 kcal per day."

No pasta, bread, grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or dairy other than butter, cheese, and cream
    No caffeine
    No alcohol

Next comes the "ongoing weight loss" stage, when you slowly add more vegetables, and you can include seeds, nuts, legumes, berries and other fruit, wine and other low-carb alcohol, and whole grains.

After that, to help keep the weight off, you may be able to eat more carbs and add more foods to your diet, depending on your body's needs.

130g of carb intake????? Really.

Please explain why we need to eat carbs and certainly to those levels?????

"The minimum recommended intake of carbohydrates necessary for survival is 130 grams or 520 kcal per day. However, this level is recommended only to support the central nervous system, red blood cell production, and tissues dependent on glucose; it does not support any physical activity."

Essentially, my understanding is that your brain needs them. It can't use the energy from your fat stores.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/2935/why-cant-the-brain-and-red-blood-cells-use-fuels-other-than-glucose

your body needs glucose to help support the brain and other organs, but why would you need to eat carbs? and again at those levels???
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think I'd prefer the Game of Thrones Diet.
    Drink all the booze and bang all the time.

Look what it did for them! Most of those folks are super fit!
    Looking forward to the next season of banging and drinking and of course the great imp, incest, killing, eunuchs, girls with swords, and more banging and drinking and to see Ayra make Joffrey cry like a little baby.

Arya never meets Joffrey again.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHiu6fxvlNFsJN0JylKGytNpjIvDIWt6lFyRovMbRuYpJ6sdn8DA

:sad:

She could've told you much more regarding those two than she did, so be thankful

Funny irony here too -- that we're readers of the series and they're merely watchers of the HBO version.
    Only read the first 2 books..........As far as visual stimulation goes I like the series, but I can see why some wouldn't.

If you're read the first two, you'll enjoy the third. Fourth is shaky and fifth is completely off the rails -- I suspect these are a result of him getting more popular and possibly in talks about the HBO series, so he abandoned/paused a lot of the major story arcs and put in a bunch of filler and side character. It was supposed to originally be a 5 book series, but now it looks like it will be at least 7 and maybe 9.

I think HBO did a good job with the show -- better than I expected, but how they go into this next season or two will be telling as that when the books start to go rather nuts.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

I would not be so sure of that...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    GERD, IBS, thyroid, they all have a leaky gut connection. Like many of the above posters, i went through 4 endocrinologists before I found one who actually looked me in the face and was more interested in my health as a whole than in prescribing me pills and scheduling the next appointment 6 weeks out.

Although, I do think in many ways they too get jaded after dealing with so many people who want a quick fix, yet don't want to do the hard work. When I was absolutely adamant that I wanted my issue fixed to the greatest capacity available to both of us, I too was daunted by what was required.

If anyone is interested in what it has cost me literally thousands of dollars to learn, here is what I have finally been told (and so far, he's proving himself correct)

1. Weight loss is NOT the issue. If you have ANY leaky bowel issue, your concerns are far greater than you can possibly imagine and THAT is the biggest issue on your plate. It is THE doorway to every auto-immune disease.

Anyone who has tears in their intestinal tract would benefit from cannabidiol. Your concerns have been answered!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24185313

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3728155/
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

No caffeine
    No alcohol

Looks straight to me.

She isn't posting from her own knowledge. Has to go to the corporate sponsored WebMD.

I lived a low carb lifestyle for almost 10 years. My endocrinologist introduced me to the Atkins way of eating back in 2001 and I lost weight, Diabetes under control and kept the weight off until other health issues and a bad car accident.

Found out that gluten is the culprit and hence my change in way of eating lifestyles.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

"The minimum recommended intake of carbohydrates necessary for survival is 130 grams or 520 kcal per day. However, this level is recommended only to support the central nervous system, red blood cell production, and tissues dependent on glucose; it does not support any physical activity."

Essentially, my understanding is that your brain needs them. It can't use the energy from your fat stores.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/2935/why-cant-the-brain-and-red-blood-cells-use-fuels-other-than-glucose

your body needs glucose to help support the brain and other organs, but why would you need to eat carbs? and again at those levels???

I do much better on 200 grams of carbs. Only 130g would have me feeling pretty hungry.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Again, there is NO PHYSIOLOGICAL NEED for carbohydrates in the human diet. Zero, Zilch, None.

We NEED protein, we NEED fats - DO NOT need carbs.

This is not correct.

The different macros are metabolized at different rates - carbs are metabolized by far the fastest. Any individual who is going to be doing a lot of high intensity activity (like hunting game without a rifle) will *have* to consume carbs, or they will not be able to continue performing the activities. In the case of, for example, hunting, that means starvation.

So, yes, carbs are required, and they are required precisely because of human physiology.

Now, if you want to say that sedentary people who have food delivered to them don't strictly speaking need carbs to survive - yes, that statement can be considered basically correct.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I do much better on 200 grams of carbs. Only 130g would have me feeling pretty hungry.

Sorry that's not an answer - still waiting!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.
  • J72FIT
    Options

You make it sound like 130 grams per day is a lot...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

No caffeine
    No alcohol

Not sure how they found that 130 number -- I definitely am interested in learning more about how they calculated that.

I've been eating well below 130/day for two years, so I'm thinking that there must be some other factors or caveats involved with that.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am seriously considering transitioning into a paleo lifestyle. I don't know that I can cut out grains completely, I love my brown rice & occasionally whole wheat pasta & cereal, but I can definitely cut back. Everything that I have been reading about it seems to be great. I have GERD & I've read a lot of reviews that adopting the paleo lifestyle not only cleared it up, but also cleared up a whole slew of other health issues that they had as well. Has anyone adopted the Paleo lifestyle here & can you please tell me what your experience has been by doing so? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!!
    Tiff

I understand reducing stuff to remove symptoms of GERD. My wife has Crohns and what we learned and that no diet is the right diet. It is an individual effort. I would say start with a food journal and remove some foods and see if symptoms decrease or stay the same. Do this and figure out what foods affect you negatively. Have you been tested for celiac disease? What the wife and I found out is that some foods that are natural and healthy according to most diets still had a negative impact on her gut such as Apples and other fruit and vegtables. IMO when it comes to gut issues its about what affects you and not the diet.

QWe have found out that adding a probiotic helps or adding food such as greek yogurt that has active cultures helped as well.

Your wife has Crohn's? Has she tried cannabis? My husband has been in remission for the last several years because of cannabis. Cannabidiol actually heals the intestinal lining, eliminating the symptoms. He has been able to eat anything since he found the right strains with enough CBD in it.

Haha no she is in remission as well but that is due to having rat proteins.......how many people have that on their diets? I would think you might know what the rat protein is. Even in remission her gut is still sensitive to foods.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You make it sound like 130 grams per day is a lot...

Not really I bounce between about 80 - 150g but even those levels are not essential for survival, they just suit my active lifestyle.

I'm just waiting for an answer as to why there essential?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting for an answer as to why there essential?

It's already been answered.
  • J72FIT
    Options

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.

The process you are referring to (gluconeogenesis) is also a STRESS response. Meaning at all costs... the body will make it's own glucose if it has to. So again, I would not be so sure of that...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

No caffeine
    No alcohol

Not sure how they found that 130 number -- I definitely am interested in learning more about how they calculated that.

I've been eating well below 130/day for two years, so I'm thinking that there must be some other factors or caveats involved with that.

Under 130g for 2 days. Lindsey, don't move stay calm, I'm calling you an ambulance!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

The process you are referring to (gluconeogenesis) is also a STRESS response. Meaning at all costs... the body will make it's own glucose if it has to. So again, I would not be so sure of that...

Gluconeogenesis - wow isn't the body a wonderful thing. And guess what as long as you're eating enough dietary protein, it doesn't even touch your lean mass.

So again why 130g of carbs?????? Seeing as how we're all so keen on getting our science correct.