Paleo Lifestyle Change?

Options

Replies

• crai1418
    Options
    Based on personal experience i would recommend trying out a paleo/primal diet to fight GERD symptoms. I dealt this pretty bad GERD for years, i was also overweight and inactive. I switched to a paleo diet about a year ago and added a lot more physical activity. I am not a nutritionist or scientist etc, but i can say i have been heartburn free for about the last 9 months. i've also lost a lot of weight and i'm the strongest i've ever been. Anyway, i can't say its all due to paleo/primal eating or not, but i think it helped me a lot.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not sure how they found that 130 number -- I definitely am interested in learning more about how they calculated that.

Around 20g/day you limit the need for stripping nitrogen out of muscle tissue.
    Around 50g/day you limit the need for stripping amino acids out of muscle tissue.

A minimally-acceptable level of exercise (e.g. 2 hours of casual walking around throughout the course of a day) will burn about 60g worth of glycogen, which needs to be replenished.

50 + 60 -> 110

That gets you in the ballpark, fine tune for size and other minor details from there.

ETA: For the many people who function like crap in ketosis, add another 50g right off the bat, so those folks are already at 160/day.

ETA2: It should be obvious, but in case it isn't, NEAT/Exercise above "bare minimum" is going to have to be largely carbs. The more active you are, the more you need carbs if you want to sustain the high level of activity.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Not sure how they found that 130 number -- I definitely am interested in learning more about how they calculated that.

Around 50g/day you limit the need for stripping amino acids out of muscle tissue.

A minimally-acceptable level of exercise (e.g. 2 hours of casual walking around throughout the course of a day) will burn about 60g worth of glycogen, which needs to be replenished.

50 + 60 -> 110

That gets you in the ballpark, fine tune for size and other minor details from there.

And daily your liver can produce more than that through gluconeogenesis, so why do we need to ingest this through dietary carbs?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I just trying to think of it based on processes, and I can see enough glucose being generated from proteins and fats by your liver to survive, though I'd guess that would not be optimal. That's part of the reason you lose LBM when you diet -- your body breaks down both fat and protein for energy. To perform optimally, for most people, I would think carbs would be recommended just so your body doesn't have to jump so many hoops making glucose from other, more difficult sources. But could you survive without them? Probably...I'm just betting that the ability to eat carbs and source nutrition from them is a huge adaptive advantage we and other omnivores have.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    your body needs glucose to help support the brain and other organs, but why would you need to eat carbs? and again at those levels???

You make it sound like 130 grams per day is a lot...

Yeah, that might be a lot for someone who lies in bed all day. But for those of us who move around, or even *gasp* exercise, that's not nearly enough. carbs = energy
  • lindsey1979
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

And daily your liver can produce more than that through gluconeogenesis, so why do we need to ingest this through dietary carbs?

Right, but if you're getting adequate nitrogen and amino acids in your diet, there would be no need to strip those out of your muscles, right?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

I would not be so sure of that...

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.

The process you are referring to (gluconeogenesis) is also a STRESS response. Meaning at all costs... the body will make it's own glucose if it has to. So again, I would not be so sure of that...

Cardiac muscle prefers fat in the forms of ketones and the brain runs just fine on ketones also. A small fraction of the brain cells, around 15%, need glucose along with a few other tissues like the renal cortex, the lens of the eye, red blood cells and sperm. Those needs are met by glucose from the liver as it produces glucose from proteins.

There is no such thing as essential carbs in the human diet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

Already answered. Your body cannot metabolize either fat or protein quickly enough to support gluconeogenesis through ingesting food alone. Which means that if you aren't eating enough carbs to support your activity level, your body is going to cannabilize it's own protein stores - namely, muscle mass.

There seems to be a general lack of understanding of the rates the various biochemical processes inside the human body run at. Without that understanding, all kinds of really bad dietary decisions can be made.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    your body needs glucose to help support the brain and other organs, but why would you need to eat carbs? and again at those levels???

Yeah, that might be a lot for someone who lies in bed all day. But for those of us who move around, or even *gasp* exercise, that's not nearly enough. carbs = energy

I trained for 4 months and ran a half marathon on less than that. So, not necessarily.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis - wow isn't the body a wonderful thing. And guess what as long as you're eating enough dietary protein, it doesn't even touch your lean mass.

As I said, it is a STRESS response. So on one hand you could say we need not eat carbs because our body can make it's own glucose, or you could say, glucose is so important that if we are in a situation where we can not get any from food our body will make it's own at all costs. My only point is, we should not be so ready to jump to the conclusion that our bodies have absolutely no physiological need for carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Monday - 2 hours of tennis
    Tuesday - 2 hours of tennis
    Wednesday 1.5 hours of Ju jitsu
    Friday - Sprint session
    Saturday - recreational swimming
    Sunday hiking or biking

Only on Wednesday and Friday do I need to eat more than 100g of carbs, but definitely no more than 150g.

On the other days I'm probably at about 80g.

No drop in energy and certainly more consistent energy than when I was eating 150g plus of carbs a day.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    P.S - There is NO physiological NEED for carbs in the human diet. We don't need them to survive.

I am positively, 1000000% sure. We do not need carbs in the human diet. The body can convert everything we need to function just fine and survive on proteins and fats alone.

Carbs are merely a quicker energy source than fat is. But, there is no need for us to eat them at all.

The process you are referring to (gluconeogenesis) is also a STRESS response. Meaning at all costs... the body will make it's own glucose if it has to. So again, I would not be so sure of that...

Cardiac muscle prefers fat in the forms of ketones and the brain runs just fine on ketones also. A small fraction of the brain cells, around 15%, need glucose along with a few other tissues like the renal cortex, the lens of the eye, red blood cells and sperm. Those needs are met by glucose from the liver as it produces glucose from proteins.

I think he's right on this.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Atkins doesn't eliminate carbs. You are eating, or should be, eating a lot of vegetables along with your proteins and fats for the first few weeks.

Then you start upping your carb counts slowly all the while adding back in higher carb vegetables, fruits, nuts / seeds, dairy, grains.

Get your facts straight before stating incorrect information.

"The minimum recommended intake of carbohydrates necessary for survival is 130 grams or 520 kcal per day."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

The Atkins diet requires less than that in the first phase:

What You Can Eat and What You Can't

The first part of the plan, called the induction phase, has these rules:

No more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, mostly from certain vegetables
    Protein and fat from poultry, fish, eggs, red meat, butter, and vegetable oils
    No pasta, bread, grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or dairy other than butter, cheese, and cream
    No nuts, seeds, or legumes like beans
    No caffeine
    No alcohol

Next comes the "ongoing weight loss" stage, when you slowly add more vegetables, and you can include seeds, nuts, legumes, berries and other fruit, wine and other low-carb alcohol, and whole grains.

After that, to help keep the weight off, you may be able to eat more carbs and add more foods to your diet, depending on your body's needs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/atkins-diet-what-it-is

I've been eating well below 130/day for two years, so I'm thinking that there must be some other factors or caveats involved with that.
    The 130 number is what the brain requires to function properly.

http://medquarterly.com/mq88/index.php/n-biochemphysio/article/28-metabolism
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

You are jumping to a conclusion based only on the bodies ability to adapt... again, I would not be so sure.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis - wow isn't the body a wonderful thing. And guess what as long as you're eating enough dietary protein, it doesn't even touch your lean mass.

As I said, it is a STRESS response. So on one hand you could say we need not eat carbs because our body can make it's own glucose, or you could say, glucose is so important that if we are in a situation where we can not get any from food our body will make it's own at all costs. My only point is, we should not be so ready to jump to the conclusion that our bodies have absolutely no physiological need for carbs.

STRESS is that your interpretation or do you have some study I can read?

Also just out of interest - You look in really good shape and I bet your quite healthy- how long have you been healthy for?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

Already answered. Your body cannot metabolize either fat or protein quickly enough to support gluconeogenesis through ingesting food alone. Which means that if you aren't eating enough carbs to support your activity level, your body is going to cannabilize it's own protein stores - namely, muscle mass.

There seems to be a general lack of understanding of the rates the various biochemical processes inside the human body run at. Without that understanding, all kinds of really bad dietary decisions can be made.

What are you basing your assumption on - please post a link to the study for our perusal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

What are you basing your assumption on - please post a link to the study for our perusal.

You can do your own homework.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

Also your muscles and liver can store Glycogen as well (not just burn for fuel or in the case of your liver produce it). The human body is amazing and it has a great genetic memory and if you condition it to perform a certain way, guess what it responds.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

You can do your own homework.

I've done my home work, I was just curious if you had to, or if you were just peeking over the shoulder of one of the other misinformed members!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

50 + 60 -> 110

Also your muscles and liver can store Glycogen as well (not just burn for fuel or in the case of your liver produce it). The human body is amazing and it has a great genetic memory and if you condition it to perform a certain way, guess what it responds.

Genetic memory isn't the right term for what you mean.