Healthy Crockpot Recipes

Options

Replies

• sarahford09
    sarahford09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these. :)
    Never thought of using frozen chicken before. That will really help me as my days at work tend to be really long
    Thanks everyone!
  • runmacs
    runmacs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ---A really easy idea is to just plop a whole chicken into your crock pot and let it roast all day. Steam a bag of veggies when you get home and you're all set.

---One of my family's favorites healthy crock pot dishes is Italian Chicken:

Toss frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts in your crock pot. Cover with a can of stewed tomatoes. Sprinkle on Italian Seasoning (a blend of basil and oregano mostly if you're using separate spices) and garlic powder (or fresh, frozen, or garlic out of a jar--what ever you prefer). Top with one large onion, sliced and separated into rings. And, 1-2 green bell peppers sliced. You can also add seasonal veggies or family favorites (like peas, zucchini etc.)

When you get home your house will smell delicious and you'll find tender chicken breasts all ready to go. There will be a good amount of liquid from the veggies, so I drain that off and use it to make rice. Serve the chicken breast atop the rice. Add a steamed veggie, bag of salad, or fruit on the side.

(I like to chop the veggies and "load" my crock pot after dinner the night before so I can clean up the mess with the dinner dishes. In the morning I just drop the crock out of the fridge into the pot and walk away with no mess to face when we get home.)

--I also use my crock pot to make breakfast so the morning rush is easier. After dinner.... slice apples and toss with brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Put the apples in the crock pot and pour oatmeal (mix with water according to the directions, but don't cook) over the apples. Let simmer on low all night, stir to mix in the morning and breakfast is hot and ready!
  • Ke11er
    Options
    Oh, another favorite...use your crock pot to make an easy loaded baked potato bar. Rub some olive oil and sprinkle salt on the outside of scrubbed potatoes. Cook on low all day. When you get home steam a bag of broccoli to use as a topping. Set out shredded cheddar cheese, plain Greek yogurt, bacon bits etc. and let your family build their own.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Both recipes sound great. Do you use low setting for the chicken?
    ---A really easy idea is to just plop a whole chicken into your crock pot and let it roast all day. Steam a bag of veggies when you get home and you're all set.

---One of my family's favorites healthy crock pot dishes is Italian Chicken:

Toss frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts in your crock pot. Cover with a can of stewed tomatoes. Sprinkle on Italian Seasoning (a blend of basil and oregano mostly if you're using separate spices) and garlic powder (or fresh, frozen, or garlic out of a jar--what ever you prefer). Top with one large onion, sliced and separated into rings. And, 1-2 green bell peppers sliced. You can also add seasonal veggies or family favorites (like peas, zucchini etc.)

When you get home your house will smell delicious and you'll find tender chicken breasts all ready to go. There will be a good amount of liquid from the veggies, so I drain that off and use it to make rice. Serve the chicken breast atop the rice. Add a steamed veggie, bag of salad, or fruit on the side.

(I like to chop the veggies and "load" my crock pot after dinner the night before so I can clean up the mess with the dinner dishes. In the morning I just drop the crock out of the fridge into the pot and walk away with no mess to face when we get home.)

--I also use my crock pot to make breakfast so the morning rush is easier. After dinner.... slice apples and toss with brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Put the apples in the crock pot and pour oatmeal (mix with water according to the directions, but don't cook) over the apples. Let simmer on low all night, stir to mix in the morning and breakfast is hot and ready!
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ke11er
    Options
    Right, cook on the low setting for the chicken (it would be ready sooner but I'm gone for about 9 hours).
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick crockpot recipe:

Slice up one medium Granny Smith apple and line bottom of crockpot
    Top with 1-2 turkey breasts
    Cover with another layer of apple slices
    Add 1 can of cranberry jelly

Cook on low 8-10 hours

I serve mine with steamed vegetables. It's like a turkey dinner without all the fuss!

Bump, going to try this one tomorrow!
  • marja40
    marja40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Following
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In for some great recipes!
  • RenaHewitt
    RenaHewitt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump :) this is so me!
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    right now I have soup going. I put in a pound or so of chicken thighs, carrots, celery, onion, shredded cabbage, chives, chicken stock and a can of tomato basil progresso.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    oh yum! bump!! :)
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these!
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    These look great!! Bump!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Two days ago (ish) I used my crockpot to make a lovely pork roast. Today I used the crockpot to turn the leftovers into a tasty pork and white bean chilli. All hail the crockpot.