Calories in a Strawberry

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
For whatever reason I'm having hard time finding the answer....the stuff in the database is just odd.

The best I can find is that for 4 strawberries (whole), it's about 150 calories....that sound about right? I blend 4 strawberries, 1/2 banana and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein for one hell of a delicious shake.

I'm just wondering about the calories, I'm seeing anywhere between like 60 and 150.

They seem to be just regular size strawberries.

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I'm having hard time finding the answer....the stuff in the database is just odd.

The official database entry says 6 cals per large strawberry.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    You've logged 400gms worth of strawberries. Not 4 strawberries.
  • joehempel
    Options
    I don't know weights LOL, I just figured 1 large strawberry was 100g LOL
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

400gms is nearly a pound of strawberries.

When you search the database search for 'strawberries raw' and you'll find the official entry.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options

And buy a scale...
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    400g of strawberries is about 2/3rd of a pound. You might be able to better visualize a lb. of strawberries? Google has a handy calculator - oz to grams, or grams to oz.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks.....I'm not that hard up to buy a scale. The numbers were just crazy to me so I'd figure I'd ask.

Appreciate the help!!

Fixed it in my diary....I'm now negative net calories after I get done eating all the food I've logged for my work shift!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That's one big strawberry!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....I'm not that hard up to buy a scale. The numbers were just crazy to me so I'd figure I'd ask.

Appreciate the help!!

Fixed it in my diary....I'm now negative net calories after I get done eating all the food I've logged for my work shift!

Well, if you're going to be making guesses like that, maybe a $15 food scale is a good idea. :noway:
  • joehempel
    Options
    Not worried about it!

I knew something was wrong, so I asked, got the answer....I don't need to have a food scale....especially if the difference is only 100 calories....I consume 100 calories just walking by the kitchen. I'm not that anal in regards to my portions. I understand it helps some people, I just won't use it.

Even eating that GIGANTIC 100g STRAWBERRY, I still lose weight.....so it's fine. Been doing it this way for a long time, just now started making protein shakes with my own fruit...it was just powder and milk before.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a food scale, though you say you don't want to be that "anal" about it.

But think about it, a large strawberry will always vary in size and density. Same with a banana. A large banana could actually be a medium banana, but how would you know how many calories are in it? Measuring a portion of pasta is also always way off for me. My mind's idea of a serving is alot more than what it is weighed out.

IMO, having a scale isn't being anal. It's a tool to facilitate proper portion control. I understand you don't want one though. I was pretty leary about getting one at first too. I though it was going a bit far. But I got one and boy did it make a WORLD of difference. I had no idea how off my eyeballing was. I actually find it fun to weigh my food... as odd as that sounds, lol.

Just give it some thought, because all foods are going to be different in size/weight than you think.
  • joehempel
    Options
    I understand that.

Again....I've been doing it the way I've been doing it for a long time (over 2 years on MFP)....I don't care about food scales, never used one, and never failed a goal I wanted to hit when I set MFP to what I wanted.

I had a question, it was answered.

What I do WORKS....even not knowing the weight and putting what I had...I was still losing weight...portions are NOT my downfall, it was a question, it was answered...end of story.

I've set my weight to be lost at 1 pound a week, and in 9 weeks I've lost 10 pounds. Seems to me I've got a handle on things.

Internet again...blowing things way out of proportion that don't need to be.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    In to see if this goes any further...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In to see if this goes any further...

Me, too.
    cat-tastes-strawberry.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How many calories is a potato?
  • joehempel
    Options
    Sweet or regular?? Is it bigger than a breadbox?
  • kellyj5201
    kellyj5201 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The best I can find is that for 4 strawberries (whole), it's about 150 calories....

u just made me drop my strawberry im having for breakfast cuz i have already ate 4 of them and am working on the 5th and was like omg nooooooo lol

thank god we got that cleared up quickly lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... :yawn:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    How many calories is a potato?

Well the average potato weighs about various grams so I'm going with potato!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Sweet or regular?? Is it bigger than a breadbox?
    about this big.
    catbox_22.gif