Should we eat man made/cooked, or all Natural?

Options
This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight comes from eating too many calories and that can come from all types of foods.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight comes from eating too many calories and that can come from all types of foods.

so completely back to self control for you??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's it at all...I think it's the plethora of food available which as a whole is relatively cheap. Never have humans had food so widely available as they do right now, and they really don't have to do much for it. Add to that, technological advances have made it so that we naturally move less than we used to.

I don't really think the "making" of food or preparing or cooking food has anything to do with it other than the fact that processed foods tend to be calorie dense and most people tend to be calorie ignorant and completely unaware of what they are eating from an energy standpoint. They just stuff their faces and then go sit at their desks before stuffing their faces again later.
  • maj1958
    maj1958 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you cook your own food, at least you know exactly what you are eating. Just look at some of the MFP nutrition values for homemade items vs restaurant or prepared ones. Cooking is becoming a lost art.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I personally believe in QUALITY over QUANTITY.

If you choose quality foods to nourish your body, you don't have to worry about the quantity.

I find it amazing that prior to the beginnings of food manufacturing there were few obese people and no one counted calories.

I have a very active job (I spend less than 2 hours at my desk per day), walk my dogs, strength train and do not over eat - I am being told by the Registered Dietician that I severely under eat and that I should be losing weight at a rapid pace and I am lucky to lose .5 pounds in a months time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not inclined to make my own chocolate ice cream or oreo's. or beer.

Everything else is game- but not those- I'll continue to eat those.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    In........I'm a chef so I have somewhat of a biased view and will just lay back and see how this goes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Agreed on the first two...but you should really trying brewing your own beer...I love it!

I would also add that maybe I'm not understanding this "make" or "cook" thing...people have been cooking forever...obesity epidemic is pretty recent. I'd add that I, for the most part cook from scratch, whole ingredients save for throwing in a can of this or that in on occasion. I don't really eat ready prepared foods that come in a box or anything like that...mostly because I'm a foodie and quality of food is extremely important to me and anything pre-made and packaged pretty much tastes like a horses *kitten* IMHO.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want,
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options

Agreed on the first two...but you should really trying brewing your own beer...I love it!

I would also add that maybe I'm not understanding this "make" or "cook" thing...people have been cooking forever...obesity epidemic is pretty recent. I'd add that I, for the most part cook from scratch, whole ingredients save for throwing in a can of this or that in on occasion. I don't really eat ready prepared foods that come in a box or anything like that...mostly because I'm a foodie and quality of food is extremely important to me and anything pre-made and packaged pretty much tastes like a horses *kitten* IMHO.
    I believe that the time frame for fire and cooking is 700,000 yrs or there about along with grinding stones and containers so yeah don't know exactly what natural means.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

I think we should make our own choices about what what and how we eat and not worry about anyone else.

Unless that someone else is a highly trained raw vegan athlete.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar...Don't mean to oversimplify, just trying to make a point using sugar.

Sugar consumption has exponentially increased since the 1850's...the beginning of the steam engines and mechanized porocessing. It took off again after 1920's...the industrial revolution.

People do not instantaneously get fat upon the first bite of sugar, there is a delay. IMHO this is a pretty obvious correlation.

15yhg8m.jpg

EDIT - forgot the make the IMGs lower case - again :grumble:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This
    Eat whatever you want,
    and this.

I don't care what other people do about/with/to their food. Stay out of my kitchen and I'll stay out of yours.
    chef-gordon-ramsay.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's you again.

tumblr_lg4z15x2Pu1qbdx2po1_500.gif
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think natural foods are preferable to processed foods. I also believe natural foods are lower in calories than processed foods. An apple has fewer calories than pasta. A tomato has fewer calories than most tomato sauces.

Obestity is caused not only by consuming more calories. It is also caused by a lack of activity. Our lives are not as active as they would have been 100 years ago. Life's daily tasks get easier and we get larger.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar...Don't mean to oversimplify, just trying to make a point using sugar.

Sugar consumption has exponentially increased since the 1850's...the beginning of the steam engines and mechanized porocessing. It took off again after 1920's...the industrial revolution.

People do not instantaneously get fat upon the first bite of sugar, there is a delay. IMHO this is a pretty obvious correlation.

15yhg8m.jpg

I wonder where they dug up the statistics from the 1700's.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% against processed foods, but still love my meat (thus I need to eat cooked foods). I've tried the 100% raw/vegan diet but I wound up feeling ill and lethargic. If I don't get animal fats I seem to get ill. I say do what fits your body. Keto seems to be my magic pill, but vegan with high fruit intake may be your magic pill.

PS
    The 2lbs on my ticker is a little misleading. I actually lost 6lbs this month according to the other scale I was using but a new scale upped my weight by 4lbs.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

15yhg8m.jpg

I wonder where they dug up the statistics from the 1700's.

You'd be surprised at the records they kept back then. I'm guessing this was reached by looking at records of sugar sales/production.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

15yhg8m.jpg

ci700332kn00001.gif

Correlation =\= Causation...

Furthermore, we know that overconsumption causes weight gain, so this graphic is much more informative than the sugar-only one:

Calorie+intake+and+obesity.JPG

EDIT: image too big, here's the link: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ylOFVfLmVHI/T86VRFdznmI/AAAAAAAAA7s/adnL6fyohyE/s1600/Calorie+intake+and+obesity.JPG