Should we eat man made/cooked, or all Natural?

Options

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and in a way that is sustainable for you. That's all you need to know to lose weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar...Don't mean to oversimplify, just trying to make a point using sugar.

Sugar consumption has exponentially increased since the 1850's...the beginning of the steam engines and mechanized porocessing. It took off again after 1920's...the industrial revolution.

People do not instantaneously get fat upon the first bite of sugar, there is a delay. IMHO this is a pretty obvious correlation.

15yhg8m.jpg

EDIT - forgot the make the IMGs lower case - again :grumble:

You know what they say about correlation :flowerforyou:

Edit: Damn... joffed.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Correlation =\= Causation...
    It does equal...........when someone has an agenda to push
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    A quick Google search doesn't come up with any evidence at all that Einstein actually said that. Do you perhaps have a source that just didn't come up?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." --Abraham Lincoln
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply?

Okay I'll bite (pun intended heh..)

I think there's something to both sides of this argument. For the most part, Americans are much more sedentary and overconsume much more than they have in the past, but the number of calories in the food supply itself is also much higher. I think the real problem is multifaceted. There's no one evil boogeyman, which is why obesity is such a difficult problem to tackle systemically.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Einstein was a good friend of mine, and he really liked my cooking.

Anyway, I think if you're going to eat man, raw and wriggling is the way to go.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Fixed...................

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Buddy
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I am disappointed....I read the title and assumed it was about cannibalism. *sigh*

Oh Well, back to my liver, fava beans and a nice chianti. Efuhfuhfuhfuh
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's you again.

tumblr_lg4z15x2Pu1qbdx2po1_500.gif

cut-it-out-o.gif
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't really think the "making" of food or preparing or cooking food has anything to do with it other than the fact that processed foods tend to be calorie dense and most people tend to be calorie ignorant and completely unaware of what they are eating from an energy standpoint. They just stuff their faces and then go sit at their desks before stuffing their faces again later.

This obesity epidemic thing is what? 20? 30? years old? Haven't humans been cooking their food for, like, thousands of years?
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar...Don't mean to oversimplify, just trying to make a point using sugar.

Sugar consumption has exponentially increased since the 1850's...the beginning of the steam engines and mechanized porocessing. It took off again after 1920's...the industrial revolution.

People do not instantaneously get fat upon the first bite of sugar, there is a delay. IMHO this is a pretty obvious correlation.

15yhg8m.jpg

I wonder where they dug up the statistics from the 1700's.

You'd be surprised at the records they kept back then. I'm guessing this was reached by looking at records of sugar sales/production.

great point about production numbers. probably tell tale.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Well, someone definitely drank the Kool Aid. That's man made and raw, right?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

15yhg8m.jpg

I wonder where they dug up the statistics from the 1700's.

You'd be surprised at the records they kept back then. I'm guessing this was reached by looking at records of sugar sales/production.

great point about production numbers. probably tell tale.
    Take what supports your POV and discard the rest, sounds logical. basically a waste of bandwidth going forward. Out.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.

Dude, if you're going to DO a diet, you really should learn to spell it.

Also, just yesterday you posted a thread pushing the raw vegan diet ...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

The only place I can find that quote as attributed to Einstein is on 3 paleo sites. What is your source for it?

Regardless, cooking has been around for a while, and it has been suggested that cooking food allowed us to get more calories from our meals and that led to our increased brain size. As to making, it really depends on what you mean. I can make a salad of fresh raw veggies, or I can make a cake with flour and sugar and bake it.

But I think the ready availability of calorie dense food, along with lack of self control and lack of exercise are what lead to obesity. Not one or the other.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think it is a bit of both. Obviously, overeating is what causes weight gain. But, why do we overeat. Is it purely availabilily? Would we have an obesity epidemic if all that was readily available and cheap was whole natural foods.

Would we be inclined to eat as many cookies if we had to make them all ourselves. Would we eat as much pasta and bread? How many pizzas would we eat a month if we had to make our own crust, sauce and sausage? Would we eat as much in general? Do food additives designed specifically to enhance flavor play a part?

I don't know the answer, but my guess is no, we would not eat as much. So, yeah, I think it plays a part.

ETA: But, the Einstein quote intrigues me. Was he a raw foodie?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

15yhg8m.jpg

Just going to point out that the industrial revolution is given the dates of 1760ish-1820-40, depending on who you ask. So, just purely looking at this chart, the industrial revolution might explain the 1850s bump, but certainly not the one in 1920s, considering it was over 100 years prior.

Of course, correlation != causation, as pointed out by the other pretty graphs posted. I seriously love graphs.

ETA: After staring at it for a much longer time, I'm not sure that there's anything else to be said here besides the fact that we started eating more sugar.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Not eating cooked food is extremely fringe. If you want a long term life style, something that's not a dramatic SQUIRREL following random silly ideas would work best.