Should we eat man made/cooked, or all Natural?

Options

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar...Don't mean to oversimplify, just trying to make a point using sugar.

Sugar consumption has exponentially increased since the 1850's...the beginning of the steam engines and mechanized porocessing. It took off again after 1920's...the industrial revolution.

People do not instantaneously get fat upon the first bite of sugar, there is a delay. IMHO this is a pretty obvious correlation.

15yhg8m.jpg

EDIT - forgot the make the IMGs lower case - again :grumble:

Just going to point out that the industrial revolution is given the dates of 1760ish-1820-40, depending on who you ask. So, just purely looking at this chart, the industrial revolution might explain the 1850s bump, but certainly not the one in 1920s, considering it was over 100 years prior.

Of course, correlation != causation, as pointed out by the other pretty graphs posted. I seriously love graphs.

ETA: After staring at it for a much longer time, I'm not sure that there's anything else to be said here besides the fact that we started eating more sugar.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the 1920's bump was the result of people starting to consume more sugar again after rationing and restrictions on food sales were lifted post-World War 1... but just a guess

(ETA: I don't think sugar causes obesity, nor do I think cooking does, eating too much does. I just enjoy charts/graphs/history...)

Me too! :flowerforyou:

And yeah, I'd think if anything the 1920s bump might be due to that, particularly if it is US specific since the rest of the world wasn't looking so pretty post WWI. Or WWII for that matter, which might explain the drop around 1950 if it is not US specific since many places in Europe had rationing going on well after the war was over. Hm.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I only see what I eat as calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat. I don't label anything bad. I can either fit it in one of the mentioned category goals or don't eat it. It's that simple. Self control man. We try and complicate nutrition when it really isn't that complicated. 80-90% of what I eat per day is nutrient dense filling minimally processed food. The rest gets filled with what I want. It works.

IIFYM!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Cancer seems to be running wild in our society.
    Exactly! No one ever had cancer before 1990!
  • snikkins
    Options
    Ah, the good old naturalistic fallacy, combined with a false dichotomy.
    A quick Google search doesn't come up with any evidence at all that Einstein actually said that. Do you perhaps have a source that just didn't come up?
    A8zugliCMAAyaJM.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and in a way that is sustainable for you. That's all you need to know to lose weight.

Now I wonder if the question should expand from not just obesity question, but also speak to quality of life. Many of you consider processed foods off limits. What do you consider a natural food and are you eating it for quality of life issues, or why? In the past month I've defined natural foods as: fruits, veggies, and things that grow like: seeds, nuts, etc... How does meat fit into your "natural" definition? Grass fed? Trolling/Wild caught? un-caged? Most of all, how does chocolate fit in? lol.

My personal rule is: Don't eat anything that's not delicious. I love to cook, so I won't buy anything in a package that I can make better myself, not even for convenience. That includes most any frozen meal and any cookie in the cookie aisle. (Except Trader Joes has a few gems! And bread... I make great bread, but three kids can eat a LOT of sandwiches in a week.) I would say I try to eat as close to "natural" as possible--and I'm defining that for myself as meaning minimally processed--but that's just because it tastes better to me.

By keeping my food standards high like this, think it gets me out of a lot of mindless snacking. I have to make it if I really want it.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

Einstein...never said that...I'm about 99.9% sure he never said that...:huh: Einstein was a physicist not a chemist or nutritionist or biologist, so even if he did say that (which he didn't) it wouldn't matter. Now if he had said "calories in/calories out" that would make sense, because that's physics.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

Einstein...never said that...I'm about 99.9% sure he never said that...:huh: Einstein was a physicist not a chemist or nutritionist or biologist, so even if he did say that (which he didn't) it wouldn't matter. Now if he had said "calories in/calories out" that would make sense, because that's physics.

Science'd
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Cancer seems to be running wild in our society.
    Exactly! No one ever had cancer before 1990!
    That and when people aren't killed off by diseases, infections, injuries etc then something else has to kill us eventually. All the people I know of who have/had cancer were either >70 years old, and/or they have a specific gene that makes them prone to the type of cancer they got.

I've never seen any stat that shows the cancer rates in people who haven't yet outlived the lifespans of the olden days. I'd think that would be a much more useful statistic than whether or not there has been an overall rise in cancer.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense!. . I mean, cooking food was only discovered a few decades ago and that's right when American's started getting fat. .
  • snikkins
    Options
  • snikkins
    Options

Science'd

:flowerforyou:
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Look, there is literally nothing you eat that hasn't been modified by the hand of man. Natural cows? Terror-beasts. Natural pigs? Murder creatures. Natural corn? A particularly ambitious grass-looking thing - On and on and on for every single thing you consume. Humans are successful because we are the most adaptable omnivores on the planet, and you know, bipedalism; very handy, that. There is no correct diet except the one that makes you thrive, and fits your ideals if they extend in that direction. "Good" food is the stuff that won't kill you outright, and everything else is you trying to ascribe a narrative to your choices, which is very human of you, but in the long term it does. not. matter.

Don't want to eat the sawdust that they pack into the nachos to keep it shelf stable? Don't.
    Don't want to eat things with faces? Don't.
    Afraid of fire? Don't use it.
    Have a vendetta against kale? Turn your back right on it.

People in the market make a lot of money when you the consumer decide to agree with them. You buy the books, you buy the supplements and shakes, and you feel good about yourself, and so they are going to market to you, hard. Say a lot of things, rig some studies, flood the internet with information because they want to feel good about their food choices too, and having other people around you is very validating. Your job is to put on your grownup pants and make a decision that works FOR YOU. And let everyone else make theirs.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Here's another much more accurate and useful chart. .

6078765530_04608d4f02_zpsd52648a7.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Look, there is literally nothing you eat that hasn't been modified by the hand of man. Natural cows? Terror-beasts. Natural pigs? Murder creatures. Natural corn? A particularly ambitious grass-looking thing -

On and on and on for every single thing you consume. Humans are successful because we are the most adaptable omnivores on the planet, and you know, bipedalism; very handy, that.

wow that's inflammatory for no reason. I don't really personally believe murder /=/ killing something for consumption. That's just inflammatory.

And I would agree that human's are wildly adaptable and that's why we are succesful. That and nothing has been bright enough to wipe out our ignorant over burdening population... but that's a different story.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the show...hoping to get a hateful PM from Ernie so he can make an honest woman out of me..(I belong to the "I received a hateful PM from Ernie group, but I really haven't yet :sad: )

^^Other than this I really have nothing to contribute here..:smile:

haha. check your inbox.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't really think the "making" of food or preparing or cooking food has anything to do with it other than the fact that processed foods tend to be calorie dense and most people tend to be calorie ignorant and completely unaware of what they are eating from an energy standpoint. They just stuff their faces and then go sit at their desks before stuffing their faces again later.

This obesity epidemic thing is what? 20? 30? years old? Haven't humans been cooking their food for, like, thousands of years?

That's what I'm sayin'...and I didn't realize there were actual people who truly think cooking food is the root cause of obesity...that just seems really dumb to me.
    Yep. I was agreeing with you. :-)

This raw food thing is so weird. There was a Wife Swap (or the other one?) where one of the families ate raw, but they still ate meat, so they were eating raw beef and chicken and stuff.

I nearly made me hurl.

I'd hurl over that too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Look, there is literally nothing you eat that hasn't been modified by the hand of man. Natural cows? Terror-beasts. Natural pigs? Murder creatures. Natural corn? A particularly ambitious grass-looking thing -

On and on and on for every single thing you consume. Humans are successful because we are the most adaptable omnivores on the planet, and you know, bipedalism; very handy, that.

wow that's inflammatory for no reason. I don't really personally believe murder /=/ killing something for consumption. That's just inflammatory.
    You don't know much about wild boars, do you?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I love veggies. All the veggies. But I also love science. And brains.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Thomas Edison (not a nutritionist): "The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."

Your logic is flawed.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/futuredoctor.asp#RfkBpFrdQkKUhJUl.99