WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Today I have agreed to join a friend and give Zumba a try. Must confess I'm terrified as I'm not known for my coordination! Any advice?

Beth
  • Happy4Fitness
    Options
    Ladies,
    Is is so nice to see positive, smiling, determined people! I will send my mom here to learn from you! Have a nice goal for a day:)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,082 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello , My name is Helen, I am nearly 53. I lost a lot of weight lat year (9 kilos) but I put half of it back on . I ahve not been doing so well this year , but I am back and trying really hard
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Today I have agreed to join a friend and give Zumba a try. Must confess I'm terrified as I'm not known for my coordination! Any advice?

Beth
    Just have fun dancing!
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    DeeDee: lifting my coffee mug to you! :drinker:
    I walk as little as possible (bone on bone arthritis in the knee), but I actually prefer the treadmill to walking outdoors. I know what to expect on the treadmill: no uneven pavement etc. :smile:

Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    I have been in a slump since january and I dont know why..
    Well, some of us might have an idea. :wink: You've had some rough times :flowerforyou:

Keep taking care of yourself!
    Cynthia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Looking forward to this afternoon and a massage. I have a gift certificate that DH gave me for Valentine's Day. One of my goals for March was to average 7500 steps per day on my Fitbit. I just got my first week average and I averaged 7695!!!!! It was harder than I expected but now I am determined, I know I can do it.

cravingfreedom - Here is something my health coach gave me long ago but it does help: FIVE Ds FOR DEALING WITH CRAVINGS
    1. Delay - Delay the urge, it usually goes away within the first five minutes.
    2. Deep breathing - Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth. This calms you and actually does good stuff in your brain and body.
    3. Drink water - Decreases hunger, flushes toxins, and increases dopamine level. This is the "feel good" hormone in the brain.
    4. Do something - Take your mind off of your craving.
    5. Devine Intervention - When you are DOWN to nothing, God is UP to something!

Animika - Woo Hoo!!! Wonderful run.

Heather - You can only make decisions based on where you are at that moment. Not all of them can be good. I think we have all been there.

Everyone have a wonderful day. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your condolences. :flowerforyou: Tuesday good-news-day...in the wake of sadness over my uncle's passing, one of my nieces gave birth to a brand new baby boy yesterday afternoon. Life is something! Such a circle, sometimes a revolving door!!

YannieJannie, we had a Corvair, too - fun car until the engine blew up :laugh: Oh, and about the "Bless your heart", I'm not from the south, I don't know why I use that saying other than it's awfully darned cute. I could have said "Well bless mah soul!" haha

Busy morning for me, happy Tues!

:smile: jb in fogggggggggy Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim in N CA: Levi is a worthy dog who does important work. I had a cocker spaniel who caught & killed flies when I was a girl. We appreciated his good work.:wink:

Heather UK: Congratulations on being back at goal! :bigsmile: This is my yoga day, too. I’m looking forward to it. It will be the last for a couple of weeks because we’ll be traveling & then the yoga teacher is taking spring break off to be with her kids.:flowerforyou:

Alison: We love our French door refrigerator. Good luck with your shopping.:flowerforyou:

Rita: I’m sending good thoughts your way. You seem to have health and family issues to deal with right now, and that can be very stressful. Take one day at a time. Come here whenever you need to vent or a shot of sympathy and support.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Bruno is a fast learner! :happy:

Meg: What do you consider hot? Congratulations on your great work review.:flowerforyou:

Michele: It sounds like you felt ganged up on by Vince & Jessica. I’m sorry it happened. DH and I like different things and sometimes we cook different dinners and eat at the same time. Oyster stew is an example. He loves it, and I can’t eat it. So we cook something for me and he makes the oyster stew for himself. As to your daughter, I think sometimes our kids put us in a capsule labeled “mom” and don’t want things to change. The comments you received give me the idea Jessica loved certain things from the growing up years that she probably never expressed back then. I may have on my rose colored glasses this morning.:glasses:

Beth: If you’re like me you have two left feet and no sense of direction. I used to go to jazzercize with a friend, kept to the back row so I didn’t bump into anyone, and moved in time with the music. I tried to do the moves, but was a beat behind, or turned the wrong way a good bit of the time. We had fun anyway. I’m sure you can have fun with your friend and burn some calories in the process. Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I’m glad you found an exercise you can do. I also have knee issues. I like yoga and riding my recumbent trike. The trike burns calories and doesn’t hurt my knee, and the yoga is strengthening the muscles and tendons that support my knee.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I love the 5 Ds for dealing with cravings! Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:

It is time for me to get ready for yoga. I look forward to it and this will be my last session for a couple of weeks. we'll be leaving to visit DD in just a few days.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoid
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Looking forward to this afternoon and a massage. I have a gift certificate that DH gave me for Valentine's Day. One of my goals for March was to average 7500 steps per day on my Fitbit. I just got my first week average and I averaged 7695!!!!! It was harder than I expected but now I am determined, I know I can do it.

cravingfreedom - Here is something my health coach gave me long ago but it does help: FIVE Ds FOR DEALING WITH CRAVINGS
    1. Delay - Delay the urge, it usually goes away within the first five minutes.
    2. Deep breathing - Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth. This calms you and actually does good stuff in your brain and body.
    3. Drink water - Decreases hunger, flushes toxins, and increases dopamine level. This is the "feel good" hormone in the brain.
    4. Do something - Take your mind off of your craving.
    5. Devine Intervention - When you are DOWN to nothing, God is UP to something!

Animika - Woo Hoo!!! Wonderful run.

Heather - You can only make decisions based on where you are at that moment. Not all of them can be good. I think we have all been there.

Everyone have a wonderful day. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD

Love these 5 Ds! So enjoy reading what is going on with all of you! Welcome newcomers! Spring cleaning for me today. On Spring Break and slept in a bit. Not like me at all - I must have needed it! :)

Have an awesome day all - get outside and walk those charming pups! I plan on it!

Sharon
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's such a beautiful day! Yesterday we had 77 degrees, and today should be about the same. That should help dry up some of the mud we have. I'm searching the classifieds today looking for someone who does garden tilling. It's been a long time since I had any garden, and even then it was just cherry tomatoes, but this year I want to have a garden so the kids can grow veggies with me. I think that would be fun. I hope all the cold weather is done!

I don't have much to report this morning. It's almost 11:00 and I'm still in my jammies.

Here's today's joke:

A widower who never paid any attention to his wife while she was alive now found himself missing her desperately. He went to a psychic to see if he could contact his late wife. The psychic went into a trance. A strange breeze wafted through the darkened room, and suddenly, the man heard the unmistakable voice of his dearly departed wife. "Honey!" he cried. "Is that you?" "Yes, my husband." "Are you happy?" "Yes, my husband." "Happier than you were with me?" "Yes, my husband." "Then Heaven must be an amazing place!" "I'm not in Heaven, dear."

Have a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • lmerner
    lmerner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    I’m loving all the stories on support with this group of fine people!
    Feeling like I have a new grasp on this healthy way of life with a new attitude. I’m excited, but there in the back of my mind, is the question “how long will this last?... can I stay on track and do this?”.
    I’m stubbornly not listening to this little devil.

Ginryl – Oh what I would give for 60 degree weather. Forecast here is now calling for snow again tomorrow with the possibility of white-out conditions. Not good for driving to work! Be sure to take the time to focus on your goals.

Vicki – Hi, Congrats on your weight loss to date…144 lbs wow! I understand how challenging it is to re-focus. Be sure to take time for yourself, this is important to you. Keep up the amazing results.

Beth – Zumba…My advice is to ENJOY…whatever you do that’s outside the box…embrace it and just enjoy the new experience. Don’t worry about anyone else but you!

Sue – Love your Dealing with Cravings – 5 D’s

Have a great day everyone!

So my goals for March;
    Focus on being happier every day and nicer to be with
    Logging every meal, snack, bite or swallow on MFP
    Move more = treadmill for 20 minutes at least 3 times per week
    Get a minimum of 8 glasses of water in Every Day
    Be spontaneous and do something outside my comfort zone once per week
    And finally......
    Hold myself accountable by referring to these goals daily and measuring my progress.... If I missed one...get at it and get it done!

Lee in Ontario
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon my Vit F friends.
    As Katla says, you are a very important part of my life and a great help in time of struggle.
    I woke up v early this morning and wrote in my journal. Then decided to ask for help. Went in to DH and told him that I needed him to help me and he gave me a cuddle and said of course he would. I feel a bit stupid because I bought the flat against his advice, but he wants to help me get out of this funk.:love: Right now he is reading all the available websites and giving me tidbits of info.:love: It's not that I can't do this, but the whole flat saga with the window repair (still pending :grumble: ) and my bolshy tenant has so sensitised me that I just get a panic reaction every time something comes up.
    My first task tomorrow is to write a letter stating my interest in extending the lease to the leaseholders. When I bought the flat I was given a different story from the vendor and my solicitor as to the cost of all this, so either they were lying or the freeholders have changed their policy. Feel a bit better now. When I looked for the email from the freeholders it had completely disappeared - wasn't in trash or spam or anywhere!:noway: I have now got them to send another one, but that was WEIRD! Da da Da da ............¿¿¿
    Thank you all for your kind words.:love::flowerforyou:

Vicki - as others have said, a lot of that is water weight. Of my three "entertaining " lbs only one was real. It took a long time to go away though.:laugh:
    Sandy - get well soon! We want to see you hit that 100 lbs off!
    Jill - you are so right, I have so many good things in my life. I am very grateful for so much.
    Rita - I hope that things work out for your son. Those worries are the worst, much worse than anything that happens to us personally.:flowerforyou:
    Katla - I hope the water stays in your river. And that your visit to your DD goes brilliantly.:flowerforyou: I would like to get under 140 because that gives me leeway and nine stone something sounds better than ten stone!:laugh: This is my lowest weight since 1990!
    Sue - your 5 Ds are great!

Well girls, I have been forgetting my mantra in all my drama

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

I will resolve to muddle through!:tongue: My yoga friend also offered the help of her husband who used to be a businessman. If I have to do some tough negotiation I might take her up on that!
    Phew, enough already!
    Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.Nice out 48,but snow on the way.:sad:
    Tomorrow I get to see my baby boy(23).He does`t get up much as he lives 2 hours away and works weird hours.:drinker:
    Joined a group on Facebook where you send a card to 1 or more children a monthThese children have many health issues and enjoy fretting mail.Makes me feel like I can put a smile on someone face 1x a month.
    Have a great day!!:flowerforyou:
    hugs:heart:
    jane
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi thought I'd have a quick chat before I dry the pots.

:ohwell: :grumble: Work continues to be a trial! We are working on Objectives for the year. Not only do they have to be "extra" to our day job, they also need to be "stretching" One of them is a weighted objective in that if we don't achieve it, it affects whether or not we get a pay rise the next year. I think I will look for another job.

:frown: I don't often see myself full length - so imagine my shock when I tried on a pair of jeans on Monday when out shopping :noway: :noway: How have I got so big?? :cry: :cry: A wake up call if ever I saw one!

:glasses: We've had a few sunny days here over the weekend which has been lovely, hopefully it means spring is finally on its way, although we had freezing fog this morning!

Well I need to dry the pots and move about - only have 13,845 steps on my fitbit and my goal is 15,000 per day. Looks like I'll be walking around the house to get the steps in :bigsmile:

Still feeling fed up, but it can't last forever can it??
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Cynthia: I’m glad you found an exercise you can do. I also have knee issues. I like yoga and riding my recumbent trike. The trike burns calories and doesn’t hurt my knee, and the yoga is strengthening the muscles and tendons that support my knee.:flowerforyou:
    Hi Katla, thanks for the good wishes; always welcome. But I don't walk unless I *have* to. That's how much pain I have. I just meant, the few times I've tried a treadmill I favored it over walking outdoors.
    I cycle everywhere unless I absolutely have to use the car, and lift weights and use a stationary bike twice a week.

Cynthia
  • Ginryl
    Ginryl Posts: 35
    Options
    Hello Hello my MFP buddies
    Been feeling down but one of my MFB buddies sent me a email that gave me the kick in the butt I needed. Been feeling down & sorry for myself. She will never know how much I needed to hear that. I didn't even know until I heard from her. So please everyone please take the time to support those that seem to be feeling down by befriending them via emails too.
    She got me to get outside, I mean the weather here is nice 74 degrees, I feel so much better.
    I love reading everyone's post. So many of you bring a laugh & smile to my day.
    So thanks to all of you for you support & help
    Pennie
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You can add me to the list of those who have a mind like a sieve. I've read through all the posts and have offered up silent prayers and/or thumbs up, but I can't for the life of me remember who is who right now. I feel so tired! I can't get the hang of the time change AND my sleep seems to be just a bit wonky right now anyway. I'm waking up at some point (I keep the clock display turned off so I won't stare at it and stress myself even more) and stay awake for a while until it feels like I just got back to sleep before the alarms sounds.

It seems like so much is happening at once! My son got the call today that he got the job he'd interviewed for a few weeks ago which is exciting, but also seems like a huge burden. He has been so sick so much that I can't imagine him being able to hold down a job and I dread having to pick him up when he works after dark. He will have to ride his bike there but he is not allowed to ride after dark because of the danger. And, oh, I can already hear the plaintive calls every time it is raining or when it's 100 degrees outside. Arrrggghhh!! I miss so much work taking him to medical appointments that I have had to put down my foot about taking him anywhere else during work hours. Oh, and he is supposed to be in the next city over (20-25 miles) at some point tomorrow to fill out paperwork or whatever. I told him to start calling his sister and his father because I simply can't miss a third day of work this week to take him somewhere else.

One of my favorite bands is playing nearby tonight and I always volunteer to work their merch stand for them. Up until 2:30 p.m. today, I didn't think they were going to need me and I had pretty much decided I was too tired to go. But, since they need me, I will follow through. Also, I know I will have loads of fun once I get there, I just dread the thoughts of being on my feet for 3-4 hours tonight on top of being so tired. They're a terrific group of young men and so incredibly gracious and express such gratitude for their fans.

So, enough whining from me. I am well and strong and I need to be thankful. I've had two people I know well get bad health news over the past week -- one had a stroke and the other has breast cancer. I am going to celebrate that strength and go take a little walkabout around the church to stretch my legs.

Have a great evening!

Carol in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my place for later.:flowerforyou: