WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have appointments today and I want to mark my place in the new thread.:flowerforyou:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! After my whining yesterday, I had an absolute blast at the concert last night. I knew I would be fine once I got there, but had to work through the 'tired" that was ailing me. Although, I must say, I am exhausted this morning! I am too old to stay up til 1 a.m. and then roll out of bed to be at work at 8 a.m. My left eye is so itchy today that I didn't even try to put my contact in. I brought it with me and will have to get it inserted soon--I'm hunched over the computer trying to see the screen. I had a detached retina in December 2012 and the surgery for that led to a cataract which was later fixed. I have 20/25 vision in my right eye for distance (need readers) and my left eye is somewhere around 20/400 (I may be making that up, but I do know that I can't see12 inches in front of my nose) uncorrected so I can no longer wear glasses; the brain won't be able to to make the adjustment to the discrepancy unless the lens is on the eye. I've had the contact for under a year now, so this is the first Spring season I've had to deal with allergies. Ugh! Anyway, I had a really good time last night and it was fun to see how much easier it was for me to stand for five hours (dancing for over 1 1/2 of them) and how much energy I had for dancing. I hit almost 14,000 steps yesterday! The guys in the band (Green River Ordinance out of Ft. Worth, TX) are as sweet as they come and cutie pies. And, even though I consider myself to be be fairly up to date on technology, it was still astounding that I did all of the transactions on an iPad so that it kept up with inventory, rang up the totals for the sales, and took credit cards!

I fell like that was a very rambling paragraph, but I can't see well enough to edit it. I think I'm going to take a quick walk through the building and then see if I can get this contact in. Have a great day!

Carol in rainy NC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: goodmorning everyone, well wishes for a great day

Prayers for those in need
    Juanita in sudbury
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All,
    I did really well yesterday on my food and on my walking. I got in close to 13,000 steps. Today it is raining and I won't be able to walk outside but I don't work tonight so I am going to work out, eat a good healthy dinner and maybe relax a bit. Tomorrow night I have first aid and oxygen class for Y certification.
    I didn't get to catch up on the posts from the last block we had.
    Prayers to all who need them
    Strength to us all, God bless and have a healthy happy day.
    Patty, Cincinnati
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just here marking my place! Thanks for posting the 5 D's for dealing with cravings! That's one of my biggest problems..I get in the kitchen and start munching or shoveling :grumble: the food in. I'm posting the 5Ds in my kitchen so I can read it when I have cravings and hopefully that will help me delay snacking. We got some very small hail, a little rain and a trace of snow last night in that storm that's now marching east and north--hope it turns out to be less than predicted for you too! Can's walk outside unless I want to keep pulling my boots out of the mud! Maybe some music and dancing tonight is called for. Take care everyone and be healthy!
    Jeri
    cloudy Northwest Illinois overlooking the Mississippi River
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello! I think spring has finally sprung! No snow in our forecast off the next week.

Hubby has another sleep study at the hospital tonight. I'll be glad when this one is finished so they can get him the right kind of machine. It seems odd to me though that tonight they are having him take Ambien before the study. It looks like that would not give them accurate information on how he really sleeps. Oh well, I will assume they know what they are doing. He has never taken Ambien before, or any sleep meds at all, so I'm a little worried about him driving home at 6 the next morning, but he doesn't want me to drop him off or pick him up. It reminds me of a little boy who's determined to go to school without his mother.

I made an appointment with the plumber to go back to the lake cabin and fix the leaky toilet that he didn't get fixed last time. It is for Thursday at 10am. This morning (Wednesday) he called about 9:00 and asked if I've left yet to go out there. I said "for tomorrow?" He said "oh, I told you tomorrow? That's good cause I can't make it today." Good grief. It kind of makes me wonder about him.

I got an unexpected package in the mail yesterday. The company that makes my heart meds sent me a pedometer and some recipe cards and a packet of information on healthy living. It's nice, but does feel a little like big brother. Hubby joked that the pedometer has a chip inside that sends reports back to my insurance company telling them what I do or don't do.

Well, I've got to get to the gym. Later ladies!

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear..........one of those days already where you just shake your head and wonder...........took Gwen (who is very angry and frustrated because the doc told her not to even try to drive short distances anymore yesterday, also that her cataract surg. is unlikely due to her major kidney issues [ I was pretty sure that the eye doc was setting her up for a letdown there---I did tell him she's on coumadin and what her BUN and creat. #'s are!!!!]). Anyway, she had a kidney U/S this am in the cardiology office..........when she hadn't returned in an hour, I went up to the sched./reception desk to inquire about her and was told, "We don't do kidney stuff." ???????? which resulted in what I can only imagine was a look of complete bewilderment on my part.........possibly also (if I'm being honest, a bit of a glare) The woman yells the question over her shoulder; then when she gets no answer, scans a list in front of her and asks ME, "Does renal mean kidney?" No, she's not new to the office; seen her there at least a year.

It has to get better..........
    yanniejannie
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I just spent a long time catching up on the posts. It seems that work just demands more and more of my time lately! We did end up with a snow day today, though, so hopefully I can get ahead a little.

Meg- Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope all goes well for him. News like that always gives me a kick in the pants to move more. I have no restrictions or excuses, but don't accomplish all I should. Take care of yourself. You are always so busy. Sounds like your work will be better without the one clinical.

Yanniejannie- That is scary(doctor's office). With all of the issues Gwen has had, it makes you wonder if she is being the way she needs to be. You would think the office staff would be a bit better trained.

Would like to reply to more, but have already spent too much time here. I need to get my mid-quarter grades done and plans for tommorow. Good thing we had a snow day today. It would have been a challenging day at work otherwise.

Take care.

Deb A in very snowy CNY
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,116 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :glasses: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :flowerforyou:

Just trying to keep up *reading* the thread. Best wishes to all. :heart: :drinker: :heart:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Got caught up with the posts but now have to prepare for a 1:00 meeting. Will return, hopefully. :smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Wow over 500 posts already.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Woke up to 4in of snow.Was raining last night,so we have ice and snow:sad: .Didn`t have boots with,so the neighbor is gonna take Violet to school.Yah!
    Younger son is taking me to dinner tonite.I sure miss him,but he has his life too and he sees me when he can.
    HUgs to all:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Short note to mark my place. We went to see the Chieftains last night and it was just wonderful!! Turned out they were staying at the same hotel, so we had the chance to briefly meet the leader and tell him how much we love their music! 52 years playing together :heart:

Weighed in on Tuesday - and another 2 lbs!! Hoping I am off that plateau for a good long time now:happy:

Looks like our snow event will be rain today, turning to ice, then snow overnight. Not so bad as initially forecast, but not looking forward to tomorrow's low of -1F

Jill in western MA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Bump to save my place. Sue in SD
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just marking my place...ugh more snow :grumble:

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear..........one of those days already where you just shake your head and wonder...........took Gwen (who is very angry and frustrated because the doc told her not to even try to drive short distances anymore yesterday, also that her cataract surg. is unlikely due to her major kidney issues [ I was pretty sure that the eye doc was setting her up for a letdown there---I did tell him she's on coumadin and what her BUN and creat. #'s are!!!!]). Anyway, she had a kidney U/S this am in the cardiology office..........when she hadn't returned in an hour, I went up to the sched./reception desk to inquire about her and was told, "We don't do kidney stuff." ???????? which resulted in what I can only imagine was a look of complete bewilderment on my part.........possibly also (if I'm being honest, a bit of a glare) The woman yells the question over her shoulder; then when she gets no answer, scans a list in front of her and asks ME, "Does renal mean kidney?" No, she's not new to the office; seen her there at least a year.

It has to get better..........
    yanniejannie
    I can't believe what I just read! :noway:
  • teetime304
    teetime304 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Wishing everyone well this Wednesday!

To all expecting the blizzard warnings...stay warm and safe and hopefully this is winters last gasp. We're expecting thunderstorms and high winds today, but finally no snow. Hoping the rain makes the last of the snow disappear! Just took the pooch for a quick walk before the rains...although overcast, it's a delightful 60 today ???? I'm jealous of everyone who is out gardening...can't wait to start the herbs and tomatoes!

Finally, with today's weigh--in I dropped a pound. ???? It seemed as if I was fighting myself to lose weight even though I was under calories and exercising. Mother Nature and those pesky hormones aren't being kind to me! LOL I'm feeling good that I broke a barrier and am motivated to keep it going.

Well, back to spring cleaning! I figured if I spring clean...spring has to be here!

Have a fabulous day and drink your water.
    Marsha, eastern PA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg, so sorry about your brother. As a fellow nurse I sympathize with you over all the feelings a nurse goes through. I couldn't just go sit and be with my husband, I was constantly analyzing his monitor, looking at his urine, checking his vital signs on the monitor. But the stents are wonderful, they seem to work much better than the older angioplasties that were done when I was working. I just don't like taking the Effient for a full year.

Oh, the weather. Yesterday it was close to 80, today it is 40 right now and won't get much higher before the storms roll in.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hello everone, I am a newbie here. I've been on MFP since January. I am 55 yrs. old. I see some of my friends on this thread. I have no idea how you remember each other, I guess that comes with time? I think this a great group, I have been reading the thread but was intimidated by trying to remember everyone, oh well, I'm jumping in anyway! I love to supprt and encourage. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but am trying to beat menopause, I haven't gotten there yet. Hate the hot flashes, having one now :devil: I hope you have a great day, log your food and drink your water! :drinker: :smile: :heart:

Cindy in sunny OK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Swamped with stuff I need to be doing. Will check back in later.
  • maw001
    maw001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Did not have a chance to read all the posts since I started yesterday, but wanted to keep on this thread. Not sure how it all works yet!

Hello fellow newbie Cindy :happy: I too am fighting menopause, I am in permanent menopause as long as I am taking tamoxifen! This drug depletes every bit of estrogen you have in your body, so mine is neverending!! I am determined not to gain any more weight, joined this site so I can try to maintain. I think this will really help. Hang in there, you"ll get used to your changing body and your "power surges!

I did notice some replies to my first post, thank you all. I am at work so will read when I get home. I as well need to try to remember everybody in time, its like meeting 50 people at a party in one night and trying to remember everyones name!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :laugh:

Maryann (waiting for the next snowstorm) in Northern Ohio!!