WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Marking my spot AND wishing Barbie a very happy birthday. Busy day, will try to check back later. Wanted to share this quote too...saw it this morning and had to share.

"I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think about, born in God's thought, and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest, and most precious thing in all of thinking."

C. S. Lewis

Prayers and love to all,

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie!!

Tina from MD
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I MADE IT TO ONEDERLAND!!!!!!! I weighed 199.2 , then went back to take a picture of the readout and then it read 199.0! I'm pretty darned happy this morning. Finally!!!:drinker: :blushing: :flowerforyou: :laugh: :smooched: :smokin: :ohwell: :noway: :explode: :tongue:

I watched a pbs program last night about a bunch of ladies who had weight loss surgery. I think it was Independent Lens. I thought it was really depressing and sad. Did anybody else see it? These were a group of friends who bonded because they were so big and had been friends for years, then one by one decided to get surgery to lose weight. These were the only friends most of them had. Some of their friendships dissolved, one lady separated from her husband, and one lady gained back a lot of the weight she lost. They had been part of that BBW movement and had sort of celebrated their large size, and some had gone to big convention type parties to meet men who preferred big women. That part really bothered me for some reason. (I went to a BBW lecture in the 80's and was put off by it.) One lady did really well and even became a yoga instructor. One lady died, but I don't think she ever had the surgery. At the end she was housebound and living on Ben and Jerry's. It didn't seem like they were really learning to eat properly, they were just learning to game the system and when they stopped, they regained the weight.

(I just looked it up. It was called "All of Me" and is on the Independent Lens web site.)

So it made me think. And worry about my own future. I have friends of all sizes, not just big women, so I don't think my being big is our bond, so losing the weight shouldn't hurt that. Same with my husband. He's very supportive of me losing the weight, so that's not what bothers me. I think what worries me most is gaining it all back. But I really think the MFP thing has helped me, and I can stick with this for the rest of my life. I hope that's true.

Gotta go. Busy day today. Have a great day!

Happy birthday Barbie!!!!!

Sylvia
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Sylvia!!! That is awesome and you should be very proud of yourself. :smile: :smile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Congratulation Sylvia!! So proud for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :love:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Brilliant Sylvia! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Such an achievement!

Happy Birthday to You, Barbie! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    OK, I'm back...

Congrats Sylvia!

Focus T25 Day 2, hello lattissimus dorsi! Something tells me you and me have a little date with some Aleve tonight. Other than feeling some muscles I've been neglecting, I found today's DVD a bit "easier" than yesterday and actually feel pretty good after finishing. I think the trick is those extra 20 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike to cool down and get my wits about me.

Lots of work to get done this morning. Have a couple orders to get out and some more to get in :laugh:

Have an organic chicken to roast tonight for dinner and several other projects to get done before it's time to pick my boy up from school. I have finally decided that his charter Montessori school is just not cutting it (after 3 long years) and am on the search for Plan B. Major problem being there's simply no Montessori as they're too caught up in the state politics and $$$. There is a school of choice district that has a gifted program. Might be a better fit but I have some research to do.

Happy day to all!

Gloria in Metro Detroit.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: sylvia congradulations you should be proud of your hard work, enjoy onederland

:flowerforyou: barbie happy birthday have a great day

Best wishes to all
    Juanita in sudbury
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Barbie Happy Birthday:smile::flowerforyou:

Sylvia Happy Dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patty I agree about the sitting. I try to remember to not sit more than a half an hour before I move. I try to convince my 95 year old mother if she can just get herself to stand at least once an hour she will be better off. For her it is like climbing Mount Everest.

Alison the winter that does not want to end:grumble: .

Joyce sounds like you have learned what works for you.

Kayzoola we have used an electric lawn mower for over twenty years. We like it because it is quieter, always starts, no smelly gas. You do have to get used to avoiding the cord and have a yard that is not too big.

Goal:
    To do something healthy for me today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    Going to the Art Museum today to drink in some no calorie beauty.

2014 word:contentment
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

Happy Birthday, Barbie!! :flowerforyou:

Oh, crap! Sylvia, was it you who broke down the gates to Onederland? Congratulations to whomever it was! It's an awesome feeling. (I truly wish my mind wasn't a sieve!)

I had a fairly sedentary day at work yesterday. Some days the computer needs me to stay put. Luckily, it was really nice out (perfect walking temps for me) so I took a walk after work. I even ran part of it. :bigsmile: My knees are not thanking me today, though. :frown: It's been so long since I've run for more than just a few steps that it feels really awkward. I just like knowing that I can, even if it's just for a couple of minutes at a time. I ended up with over 12,000 steps even after sitting pretty much all day. It also energized me so that I got some things done in the house. The boy child was sent home from work yesterday because he was vomiting and had a migraine, so I took pity on him and did one of his chores--taking out the trash. Mostly cleaned out the fridge while I was at it, scooped the litter box, folded laundry, paid bills, emptied and reloaded the dishwasher, and planned and prepared breakfast for two days and lunch for today. I wish every evening was so productive!

On the other hand, I wish my mind and body would get synced so that I could sleep! I haven't had a really restful night in close to a month now. I am so tired! :yawn: Last night, I woke up being too hot several times and even woke being too cold once--and that NEVER happens! It's like my brain won't let me go to sleep and my body won't let me stay asleep. This weekend's goal is to tidy my room and make it a more restful place to see if that helps.

Thanks, again, for all of the compliments! Although the journey has been work, it's also been fun. I'm not particularly competitive with others, but am extremely competitive with myself, so seeing how "much" I can do is interesting and every bit of strength gained is motivation to try for more.

I'm off to walk some laps in the sanctuary and fellowship hall in addition to running the steps (all 80 of them) to get some steps in since I have a meeting tonight. Then, I will come back and finish my newsletter.

Have a great day!

Carol in cold and gray NC
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow Carol! 12,000 steps on a sedentary day!? That's Awesome! Great job! That would get me going!

I substitute teach and therefore felt compelled to buy a HUGE bag of candy at Costco to use as end of the day treats .... for the STUDENTS!!! Haha! Must bag them up and hide them from ME!! No chocolate, no fat, just plain old,delicious, ordinary sugar.

Happy Birthday Barbie! Hope you have a great day!

We're going to hear Terry Bradshaw tonight. Should be funny... I hope... we're also expecting that "wintery mix". Hope it doesn't mess up our evening... and then maybe spring will really be here? or is there another cold front/polar vortex/nor'easter behind this one?

Have a great day everyone! Have fun being healthy!

xoxo
    tammy
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just stumbled across his thread and love it - hope I am not intruding but I would love the motivation and support (and even some new friends).

My background - I turned 50 in February and an happily divorced, have a great bf who is 100% supportive. He had a major health scare recently and has lost 35 pounds with another 10 to go. Its time for me to step up so we can have many happy years together. I don;t have any health issues other then the fact that I now weigh 185 pounds...Oh and I am raising 2 teens by myself.

And Happy Birthday Barbie!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, congrats! You must be so happy! :flowerforyou:

I stress-ate a roll of Oreos today. Dinner may be radishes and a hard-boiled egg, haha.

Cynthia
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Sylvia –
    :happy: Congrates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:
    That show sounds depressing; I know someone who had the surgery did great for a year and now is heavy and has all sorts of health issues … I really think the difference is that we are learning what to do – how and what to eat, finding types and quantity of exercise we like enough to keep doing.. we are not doing the “quick fix” So our relationships have time to grow and change; new friendships to develop… Not that we won’t slip up some times for a meal or a day; maybe even for a few weeks – but the knowledge will still be there – so we can get back on the “wagon”…
    :happy: Congrats on One-derland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Deedle7544 – welcome, jump in we are a friendly bunch - where are you from?

JB - yesterday I picked 6 lbs of chard at my neighbors (you could barely tell I had been there) and divided it with your recipe for quiche - so 3 of us are making it for tonight's dinner!

So the brownies I wasn’t so happy with… I have been pawning:embarassed: them off on friends and even brought them to book club – well they have been a huge hit - too funny; I don't think they are sweet enough and I like nuts... but here is the recipe in case you want to try.:smile:

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
    makes 8 browines
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup canned low - sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 cup non-fat raspberry Greek yogurt (I think another flavor would also be fine - even just vanilla)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
    Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. This will take about 60-90 seconds on the high power setting. They may not melt completely; stir vigorously to finish melting the chips until chocolate has a smooth and uniform consistency.
    Pour black beans and melted chocolate into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse a few more times to make sure everything is completely incorporated.
    Pour into prepared pan and smooth to level and fill corners, etc. Bake for 25 minutes until the top has cracked slightly and the center has set. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting into 2″ squares.
    Makes 8 brownies. These are best if eaten immediately after they are made, but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
    Note: can be doubled and baked in a 8x8 pan.

per serving: 99 calories; 14 carbs; 3 fats; 5 protein; 134 sodium; 6 sugar

Well off to do the last of the taxes and then I have GOT to get some real work done!

Kim in maybe rainy (oh we need it) N. CAL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,967 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tina, thank you for the poem……it says how I feel about all of my Vitamin F friends on MFP……my experience is that if I get enough rest and eat healthy food, I am better able to ignore unhealthy treats.

:flowerforyou: Michele, thank you for the birthday greetings……my walk with my friend was awesome---great conversation and beautiful weather---we walked for two hours

:flowerforyou: Robin, Bodi, and Ritter, thank you for the birthday greetings…..it’s good to see you again.

:flowerforyou: Juanita, thank you for the birthday wishes…….I’m thinking spring thoughts for you…it has to get here sometime.

:flowerforyou: Jane, thank you for the birthday greetings…..I’m planning to do things I like today

:flowerforyou: Katla, thank you for the birthday greetings…..I’m glad to hear that you are home safely and happily.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, in OK….thank you, I plan to have a great birthday….can’t wait to see the photos of your project when it’s finished….thanks for the great quote

:flowerforyou: Alison, thank you for the birthday greetings….I’m sorry to hear about all the family drama and stress that you have to endure.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, thank you for the birthday wishes….sorry to hear that things are getting worse for Gwen

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, clothes shopping is such a challenge….I didn’t buy very many new things until I’d reached my goal weight...., congrats on the entrance to one-der-land…..don’t worry about gaining the weight back…..check in here every day and we’ll remind you to stay on track….this is a journey, not a destination…thank you for the birthday greeting….the people who are really my friends are not troubled by my weight loss.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, I’d love to be able to support local stores, but, like you, I end up ordering on-line because that’s the only way to get what I want.

:flowerforyou: Beth, thanks for the birthday greeting….never give up….make a plan for tomorrow that includes an optimistic attitude that it will work

:flowerforyou: Sandy, thank you for the birthday song….you’ve learned a lot from the personal trainer that will serve you well even with the sessions ending.

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD, thanks for the birthday wishes……one of the things I liked least about working was having to “clean up” after co workers who did a less than adequate job.

:flowerforyou: Meg,good to see you back and making goals again……thank you for the birthday greetings.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, my walk yesterday was fabulous…eating healthy is always the key to feeling better….good luck with your new furnace…thank you for the birthday greeting

:flowerforyou: Renny, thanks for the birthday greeting.

:flowerforyou: Kim, my birthday is going great so far---thank s for the song…..our taxes are in the hands our accountant (in Northern California) and should be finished soon.

:flowerforyou: Patty, thank you for the birthday wishes…..I agree with you about jobs that require too much sitting..moving around is better

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, thank you for the birthday wishes….it will be a good day.

:flowerforyou: Gloria, thank you for stopping by to say Happy Birthday….it’s a lot warmer here than where you are…the roast chicken sounds great

:flowerforyou: Tina from MD, thanks for the birthday greeting.

:flowerforyou: Carol, thank you for the birthday wishes….I tried running a couple of years ago and concluded that I was a walker and have limited myself to walking..do you ever read in the middle of the night when you have trouble sleeping?

:flowerforyou: Tammy, thank you for the birthday greeting….I could never keep candy in my classroom when I was teaching….I found non-edible treats.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: Change is hard for all of us. It sounds like the family is doing the right thing for your DFIL. You should have some relief from worry and stress, as well. We all know how much you worried about him.:flowerforyou:

YannieJannie: I’m sorry that the situation with your friend Gwen seems to be getting worse. It is good that her sister is coming. Enjoy the Muppet Movie.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: WELCOME TO ONDERLAND!!! I reached my goal a few months ago, and here I still am. I expect to continue to count calories forever and stick around here because I’m not confident that I won’t fall back into bad habits without support. You are a good grandma to be looking for nice things for DGD to wear. I’m happy that you found some things that might work for her. When I was growing up it was commonplace for moms to sew clothes for their kids, and homemade items were well loved and received. I know it is no longer common to sew for children, and that brand name clothes are often status symbols at school. She will love having something special to wear. Thanks for the jokes.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Online ordering seems to be the equivalent of the old catalogs we used to order from. I had many things from Sears and JC Penney catalogs a kid. I’ve ordered walking shoes online from New Balance in the recent past and would do it again, especially since they have a great return policy.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I worried about mine, but things turned out fine, and I love having energy rather than being too tired to enjoy life.:flowerforyou:

Kayzoola: Full contact gardening-what a concept. Thanks for the smile.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I’m glad you accomplished what you wanted.

Joyce: You’re right that you can’t save calories for a binge without consequences. We’ve pretty much eliminated chips and crackers for that reason and because it is so hard to “eat just one.” I’m not diabetic, but DH has been since he was 19.:flowerforyou:

Carole: Congratulations on your steps. I hope you are able to rest.:flowerforyou:

Deedle: Welcome. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

I told DH yesterday that I felt horribly pressured by the process of purchasing our new car, and I know I upset him. He stayed up most of the night. We made the purchase and have to live with it. The car is nice but costs too much for my comfort. The real thing that upset me was the pressure put on me by DH to buy. He wanted the car and pushed hard shortly after giving up his push for an RV. And that is what I told him. It is a nice car, but I never want to be pressured like that again. He is right that I am stodgy and tend to hold onto things forever, but I don’t see that as a major flaw if the things work reliably. I should not have to take anti-anxiety medicine to look at or consider a purchase. I probably should blame myself for not standing up to the pressure. On another note, I spent a day in the hospital in Idaho being checked out for chest pain. They said it was caused by acid reflux. I’ve dropped a couple of pounds and I attribute it to stress. I’ve never lost weight due to stress before, always gained it instead. I have an appointment with my own doctor tomorrow. I need to get back to goal and to living healthy.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla - I'm sorry you are having so much stress over that car. I hope you get some peace soon and don't do damage to your health.

Kim - "I really think the difference is that we are learning what to do – how and what to eat, finding types and quantity of exercise we like enough to keep doing.. we are not doing the “quick fix”" I totally agree. That's what I think too, just afraid I'm deluding myself. Glad to know others feel the same.

Barbie - I love this thread so much! It's what keeps me going.

Only on MFP could this be considered cause for celebration! (I hope this picture works)
    199-1.jpg

Here is today's joke of the day:

:laugh:

A doctor calls his patient and says; the check you gave me for my bill came back.

The patient replied: So did my arthritis!

:sad:

Sylvia
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - BIG congratulations for getting to Onederland!!!!!!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: I'm hoping to see it sometime in the next 12 months - have about 45 to go and it's been so slow.

I'm also interested in low sodium choices and recipes. Trying to keep my sodium under 1500 mg a day and it's very difficult. Thanks to my diabetes, I have some kidney damage and need to protect the little buggers as much as possible. My dad (also a diabetic) ended up on dialysis, and I really do not want to go there. I have been making my own spice blends for creole seasoning, chili, etc. without any salt. So far, so good. It's amazing how much natural sodium there is in foods, plus the amount of salt in bread!

Meg - hoping your day is getting better! Looking forward to our visit. Thinking lunch...??

Welcome to the newbies too! Let us know where you are from - we have folks from all over the world on this board. The diversity of women really adds a lot. And,m everyone drink up that water!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Jill in western MA
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Can I be part of this group?

I'm Jennifer and I am 52. I live in South Carolina and I have two teens, 15 and 18. Also I am happily mararied.

I have been on MFP since mid-January and lost 12 pounds.

I started doing Couch to 5K and last week I ran a mile without stopping for the first time in my entire life, ever.

Not sure what the format is here, but wanted to say hi.

Jennifer
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

I'm also interested in low sodium choices and recipes. Trying to keep my sodium under 1500 mg a day and it's very difficult. Thanks to my diabetes, I have some kidney damage and need to protect the little buggers as much as possible. My dad (also a diabetic) ended up on dialysis, and I really do not want to go there. I have been making my own spice blends for creole seasoning, chili, etc. without any salt. So far, so good. It's amazing how much natural sodium there is in foods, plus the amount of salt in bread!

Jill in western MA

Jill, DH is diabetic and has high blood pressure. We eliminated adding salt in all of our recipes except those that are for baking. I add salt at the table, & DH adds salt substitute or Mrs Dash. He is doing much better & I feel greatly improved. I have less water retention. My overall salt intake has dropped quite a bit, although I couldn't give numbers. I have never had blood pressure issues but that doesn't mean I haven't been affected by sodium. When we were eating out on our trip I certainly noticed the salt load in most restaurant food and sometimes ended up with puffy fingers. Good luck!
    [/quote]