WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Cindy in OK, thank you for the birthday wishes….I am amazed at how quickly your remodeling has happened. Not everyone has that great fortune. …….your quote is great…..it goes along with “Act the way you want to feel” When I was a child traveling with my family, my dad always reminded us to pack the right attitude. I didn’t figure out my goal weight until I got to it, overshot the mark, and at my doctor’s direction put on a few pounds.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, thank you for the happy birthday wishes…..we bought a new furnace two years ago. The furnace in our house was the original one from 1983 and we replaced it in October rather than taking a chance that it would quit working in the middle of winter. Having spent four winters in Minnesota, I have some idea of what you are dealing with.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, you have been so patient with this weight loss but I know how eager you are to cross the magic line into one-der-land…..on the subject of being mean----I recorded “Dumbo” because I remember the movie from when I was a child but I couldn’t watch it once the elephants began making fun of baby Dumbo…….I feel the same was about “Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer”.

:flowerforyou: Kayzoola, I probably could have worked in the yard, but I’m holding out for slightly warmer and drier.

:flowerforyou: Heather, besides weight gain, one of the consequences of eating too many goodies is that I want more for several days afterward.

:bigsmile: Jill, you’re doing great with your goals….thank you for the kind birthday wishes.

:flowerforyou: Kim, the dogs never wake me up…..it’s Bernie, the cat, who notices that the furnace has come on and starts walking all over me and making noises…..Jake makes hot and sour soup from a mix that’s full of sodium….we add cut up chicken and a package of frozen cauliflower.

:flowerforyou: Ell in Tucson, we welcome you…..jump right in and you’ll feel like part of the community in no time…..you’ll find many others with similar challenges

:bigsmile: Carol in NC, wow…..congrats on those size 8 jeans…there’s nothing quite like single digit pants sizes….thanks for posting the pictures……they are inspirational.

:flowerforyou: Patty, after all that waiting and rescheduling, it’s so great that you finally got to take your test and that you feel that you did well….one of the great turning points in my life was when I realized how much time I was wasting in front of the TV or computer in the evening and started going to bed a little earlier each night and getting up a little earlier in the morning to allow for morning exercise.

:flowerforyou: Pennie, wow, you have a busy life

:flowerforyou: Beth, what helped me with temptations was to plan my meals for the day and log the plan and then agree to stick with it no matter what…that allows for no room for negotiating deviations no matter how benign or tempting. When I joined MFP I made losing weight my highest priority and it made a huge difference.....also,the more exercise you get, the more food you can pack into your day to provide sufficient fuel

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, I couldn’t make that chili……it would be too tasty for portion control.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Gail, those daffodils are awesome…….that’s how I’d like to have my front yard.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, the meditation and the movie sound like a great way to spend the day…..bravo to the girl in the movie who shook off what other people thought and took steps to improve her life.

:flowerforyou: Gloria, doing a lot of your exercise in the “low impact” version will be good for your body now and for many years to come.

:bigsmile: Alison, glad you got to spend time with your friends.

:bigsmile: Today I am meeting a friend for a walk. She comes over from north of Seattle once a month or so and we walk the Olympic Discovery Trail for about two hours and talk and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Carol - thank you for posting the photos.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Isn't it funny how we recoil from those "fat" photos at the time, then when we get slim we wish we had more of them! :noway: :laugh: I don't have a single photo from my absolute worst. The nearest is the one in my profile, about three months before. I was still piling it on then. You have done a terrific job and completely transformed yourself. :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Heather UK
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Love the quote about plateaus. For months now, it seems I have been mostly on plateaus - lose a pound or two, then nothing. I really like the idea that I'm practicing for maintenance.

Drink lots of water!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Jill in western MA
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Just a quick note while I'm here at work. I never seem to have to the time to post once I get home.

Carol - congratulations on the new jean size! :drinker:

I haven't been doing well at all in the eating/exercising department, gained back 6 pounds and really down for no apparent reason.:cry: Not sure what is going on but feeling extremely tired so depending on sweets and carbs to keep going at work. Everyone in the offices are bringing in Girl Scout cookies and other baked goodies. Have a box siting in front of my office now which I'm trying very hard to resist. So far today I have been able to. Drinking lots of water and taking breaks to go for walks around the building.

I saw this poem and it reminded me of all of you:

Friends Online

We’ve never really met
    I’ve never seen your face
    Though I consider you a friend
    The best in cyberspace
    Somehow we clicked
    with more than just a mouse
    We have talks over coffee
    without leaving the house.

If ever I see you,
    My best online bud
    I’d give you a smile
    and embrace you with a hug.
    To simply say thank you
    For all that you do
    And for not taking me,
    At “face value”.

Tina from MD
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hey. Marking my place.
    Got an unexpected workout when my e-bike quit on me about six miles from home. :angry:

Cynthia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    barbie - happy early birthday from me, too

Heather - get that x-ray done!!!! Hope it's nothing serious. Hope you have fun with the grandchildren

DeeDee - can you believe the weather here today (Sun)? Yesterday I was on the porch, today I can't seem to get warmed.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Don't ask me to explain it, but I didn't hear the alarm at all. Didn't get up until it almost shut off. Then went to the KMart to see if the cat litter is on sale yet, they were totally out. Wanted to return the Ground Clear I got which they took back since I'd bought it before they started the "all sales final". Did get some batteries, tho. We need them for down at the condo.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do yoga (might do something else, not sure just yet), then hold my plank for a bit and then take the extremepump class.

Having some hot chocolate right now. I'm not hungry or thirsty or anything, just can't seem to get warm.

Sylvia - I agree with you. I can't get over how rude some people are. And selfish!!! There are so many things that when I was a kid I wouldn't even THINK of doing

Was going to have chicken for dinner, but decided to have lentil soup instead.

Yesterday when I made more of the zucchini apple muffins, I tried replacing the oil with silken tofu. You can't tell the difference at all. I think that's going to be one of my new replacements. Applesauce is good in certain things where you don't mind a hint of the apple flavor. But the tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it's with.

Renny - I never thought of a plateau in that way, but it makes so much sense. Thanks for posting this quote. Makes me feel a bit better.

Joyce - so glad you joined the choir! I know you'll be a great addition

Eli - welcome. You'll find this a wonderful place to come.

Carol - so glad you had such a great time on your trip. Amazing ... those jeans

Patty - oh, how wonderful!

Gail - thanks for the pics of the daffodils. Just what I needed!

kim - I have some old(er) episodes of Downtown Abbey on my DVR and I watch them some. Also, I have all the episodes of season 4 on a flashdrive so I can watch it any time at all. but I still miss seeing them!

katla - glad you're home. We're all glad you're back safely

anamika - there was an article in our paper about some people celebrating Holi. I'd honestly never heard of that holiday until you mentioned it. But it looks like so much fun. Sounds like a wonderful movie

yaniejannie - waaayyyy back when (I must have been in my late 20's) I was taking this sewing course and one thing we had to do was make a bathing suit. I got the pattern for a 2 piece. The other day I found the pattern. There is no way on this green earth you will ever catch me dead in a two piece bathingsuit now. So I just gave the pattern away. But it is interesting to see how a person changes

Carol in NC - what a change! Thanks for posting those inspirational pics. I've never heard of Chip and Pepper brand before, either. Dillards are primarily in the south. You know something? A while ago I got a pair of jeans at the Dillards in Florida and figured if there was any problem I'd just return them to the Dillards by me. Well.....at first they weren't going to take them back. Something about how the Dillards in Florida is a different area or something. Well...I spoke to the manager and SHE finally said that I could return the jeans. Never in my life would I have thought that there'd be a problem returning them, I had my receipt and all. I can never get jeans or slacks in Goodwill or Salvation Army, mainly because I need petite sizes and they don't carry many petites, most of them are mixed in with the regular sizes. But I can get shorts there, the length isn't as critical.

Gloria - I do a lot of low impact modifications, too. It sort-of bothers me when they say on a DVD "for the beginners here's the modification". I don't consider myself a beginner, but at the same time I want to be careful of my knees and other joints. I'm not 20 or 30 any more.

barbie - have fun on your walk

Cynthia - sorry your e-bike quit. Stupid question: what's an e-bike?

Well, I'm going to post this to mark my spot.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele, an e-bike is a bicycle with an electric motor so you don't have to pedal as hard. You still have to pedal, but the resistance is less. Good for people with osteoarthritis in the knee. :wink:

Cynthia
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Bumping in to wish Barbie an early Happy Birthday. Enjoy the weather today because tomorrow isn't supposed to be as nice.

Hello all!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Marking my place so I don't have to search again...:tongue:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloria, you missed quite a humdinger last night on The good wife. Typical season finale cliff hanger. You need to find it on line or at least find a synopsis of it.

Well it looks like the sun is trying to come out. It's 42*. I'm more than ready!!!!!!

Today another boring night at Hacienda for supper. I love my husband but his habits can be annoying. When we went to Jason's Deli the other night I encourages him to look at the menu but I was proud of him. He said that the chicken salad sounded like a healthy choice.

Charlie told me last night to continue the search for out beach rental for fall break even though we haven't got the hospital bills. We had put it completely on hold. So I guess it's back to searching. It also sounds like he is wanting the Gulf more than the Myrtle beach area. There was quite a difference in price though. Well to some it wouldn't be but the difference of a total of $400 is a lot for us since all the gas and meals comes out of our pockets. If they want souveneirs they can buy them although both my DGDs know Grandma is going to buy them at least one thing.

It will be very strange not watching Survivor on Wednesday nights for me to go to choir practice. But it will be on the DVR and I have the DVR set to auto record all Survivor just in case I miss one..

Joyce, Indiana
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for the lovely spring pictures it gives me hope.....

Carol in NC wow you look great congradulations, and you are in inspiration thank you for your pics

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Barbie hope you enjoy your day

Best wishes to all

Juanita in Sudbury minus 6 celcius and still calling for snow:sad:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place:flowerforyou:

Carol:smile: you look marvelous:bigsmile: !!! Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Carol,thanks for sharing.:drinker: :drinker:
    Barbie,Happy birthday from me too:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .
    Love the pics,that were posted.
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Katla – home sweet home!
    Anamika – I love to hear about the Indian culture – we have lots of Indian restaurants here and I like what I have tried (mostly) but am clueless about what is what and the culture in general! Thanks for sharing!

Patty – I was telling a friend about the soup base, and she said she found one in a powdered form at our local Asian market; she’s going to get the name for me and I’ll check on the sodium that way.

Gloria – you want to be able to do T25 for many weeks to come, so no blowing out a knee or other part this week!

Alison – so glad you got to see your family after all.

Carol – you have done a great job – the pictures prove it… awesome!!

Tina – great poem!!

Yesterday afternoon, evening and this morning were taxes! taking a lunch break and then back to it. I CANNOT let this get so behind for 2014 - I am hating it!!!

thinking of everyone! Take care
    Kim in Sunny N. CAL (it is supposed to be 76 today)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mark my place on this second part. Had a really nice weekend with my son and his girl friend. He seems like a different person since he gave up his vices. So happy about that! I hope this girl works out for him. She is really nice!

Last week's goal update:

My SMART goals for March:
    I will lose 5 pounds by March 31 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year. Start weight 192.2

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes.
    Pretty much same as last month.
    SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.

Week1: steps average: 6866 Curves 4 times (had to bring dog to be spayed one morning) No weight loss. Extreme stress and depression not helping me any.
    Week 2: steps average: 8342 – Curves 5 times – weight stayed the same
    Week 3: steps average: 8931 – Curves 4 times (overslept one day) – Weight 190.6

Rita from freezing CT!
    Anyone want to buy a house in TN?
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    I saw it Joyce!!

I actually fell asleep watching it last night but watched the rest on DVR while I was cooling down on the stationary bike. I was STUNNED (and sad)...as I guess most of the country was.

p.s. thanks for mentioning it. That was a show my mom and I both watched and talked about. I instinctively wanted to tell her about it and then.....:cry: Glad to know there are other watchers here.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I had nightmares about Dumbo being separated from his mother in the fire that continued into college. It was the most traumatic movie I’ve ever seen, partly because I was quite young when I saw it.:flowerforyou:

Jill: Thinking of a plateau as practice for maintenance is a useful idea.:flowerforyou:

Tina from MD: I depended on sweets and Starbucks for energy at work and packed on the pounds. I have sympathy. I wasn’t able to lose the weight until I retired. I now know that sweets and Starbucks are not my friends.:noway: :noway: :noway: :tongue:

Michele: Thanks for your kind words. I’m happy to be home.:flowerforyou:

Rita: Good luck selling your home in TN. Sales are likely to pick up in the spring. Nobody can work up much enthusiasm to move in miserable weather.:flowerforyou:

I miss my daughter and DGD, but I am SOOO happy to be home. Home is so happy to see me that it gave me a sunny day today.:wink::bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Marking my spot so I don't have to search.

Barbie, have a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the weight advice. Yes, the kitchen work is almost done. I will post pics when it is all furnished and organized.

Tina, love the poem!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Cindy in OK. :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    well it has been a day that is all I can say~~
    I stress ate ,alot and I mean alot of sugary stuff today..
    My FIL is being transferred to a convelecent home about 15 minutes from us, but the DH is POed,says that his brother and SIL got there way and got him out of the house.
    I see it as him getting the quality care he deserves, though he would have wanted to stay in his house, Tom is ticked cause we are lying to him about going home, If I have to drop the bomb that he is staying there I will, but I want him to settle in first...
    my DD called and said her boyfriend and my DGD are on there way out here as we speak, his grandpa is on his deathbed and he wants to be here, so we will get the munchkin overnight at least once while she is here...
    Barbie~ Happy birthday early.. you deserve every happiness.. you are such a wonderful person.....:heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Katla............Welcome home

Barbie..........Happy Birthday, before I forget!!!

Michele............Awwwwww.............I'm betting you'd still look cute in a two piece!!!

Tina.............Loved the poem.

Cynthia.............Wow, that was quite the walk you had!!!

Ended up at Gwen's twice today.............hoping that this last med that was stopped will clear out of her system but really think it's dementia............much as I don't want it to be. I think she took double meds last night as the Mon. night container was empty this am. Even the pest control guy had a comment about her mental state to me when we were outside alone. Her sister should be here in a couple weeks from Ca.

Have plans to see the Muppet movie tomorrow with a friend................a few laughs will be welcome.

yanniejannie