WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Barbie - A Very Happy Birthday for Tuesday! Like others I don't want to forget!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart:
    I had to smile at your mistype. You said , don't let the perfect be the enemy of the best.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :tongue:
    Amazingly, as I normally type this thread on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, when I start typing the capitals the string of words comes up all by itself. I love that! All I have to do is prod each word as it flashes up. :laugh: I love that my tablet has my resolution ingrained in it. :bigsmile: Of all maxims that has been the most help to me.
    I also have an old fashioned Kindle that you have to click a switch to turn the page. No skittering pages, but it does not have an internal light. I bought one to clip on it for hotel room reading in the dead of night. When we had our power cuts the light was a life saver.:bigsmile:
    My weight is still up a lb because of my weekend in Scotland. Another week should see the back of it.
    Hairy Dieters Marsala Chicken today. Basically a spatchcocked chicken rubbed in Indian spices and roasted. Served with minty yoghourt. I have lots of purple sprouting broccoli in the veg patch to go with it. There will be chicken over for lunch tomorrow.
    This week I have got to get myself to the hospital for a walk in X ray on my knee. That is a short train journey, then a walk or bus ride. Might go tomorrow, but probably Wednesday.
    We are going up to London to see the grandchildren on April 11th. Hooray! Staying for dinner cooked by my gourmet son and catching a later train. Can't wait!:bigsmile:
    Love to all, Heather in sunny and soon to be chilly Hampshire UK

Yanniejannie - I have just been looking up the Voltaire quotes you mentioned. What he said was
    le mieux est l'ennemie du bien, translanslated from the Italian, "il meglio". This is actually "the better". So a correct translation woukd be, the better is the enemy of the good, or better is the enemy of good. Still works, but I prefer the version from The Happiness Project! :laugh:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Not a lot of time this morning, I`m meeting a few of the guys again today, seems they can`t get enough of me:tongue: ….not really, a few didn`t make it yesterday so they think I should show up for the normal routine:laugh: !

Cindy in Ok :smile: I went to the Behr website and looked at the paint, I love it:love: !!! I then proceeded to look a paint samples for an hour…so many choices:noway: !!!! Hope you`ll post pics when you`re finished!!!

Cynthia :smile: I`m ready for smaller cup sizes, I`ve gone down a band size, but the girls are holding on:ohwell: !

Katla :smile: Happy anniversary:flowerforyou: !!! Glad it was only acid reflux!!!

Sue in SD :smile: Congrats on the inches leaving you:bigsmile: !!!!

Eileen :smile: Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: !!! My daughter tried to paint stained cabinets, they did an awful lot of work sanding them down, priming them etc. etc., I ended up buying them new cabinets for Christmas that year:ohwell: ….you might want to check with a reputable painter, I bet they could give you some tips! My daughter has one cabinet painted in chalk board paint and they love it! Conner is adorable:love::heart: , thanks for posting his gorgeous pic!!!

Yanniejannie :smile: My Bradford pear trees are almost in bloom:bigsmile: , don`t know what this next cold spell will do to them:frown: !

Lila :smile: Dogs are smart, aren`t they:laugh: ? I get up everyday between 5 and 5:30….work or not, sometimes Noel just stays in the bed until about 6:30 before she ventures out. Good for you doing the weights…I need to start that too, especially since a friend gave me weights he didn`t use anymore…hate to say they are right where he put them last year:embarassed: , in the trunk of my car:tongue: !

Barbie :smile: Here`s a happy birthday wish early:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!! Hopefully I will remember on Tues. too!! Jake is such a lucky man to have you, and you him:heart: !!! I also enjoy my own company, so many of my friends “don`t get” I like being with myself and don`t need anyone to entertain me:bigsmile: !

Jb :smile: Sounds like a good time was had by all!!! Wish I had been there:bigsmile: !

Sue in TX :smile: Sending good thoughts for you and your brother!

Michele :smile: I think it was Barbie that used to post the birthdays. Sounds like a lot of extra work to me:noway: !

Kim in N. CAL :smile: I almost would want to tell her to go somewhere else:angry: ! I`m not going to tolerate people who have no respect for my time:noway: !!!

Gloria :smile: I have read other threads on this site and sometimes I just have to get out of them, the amount of snark on them makes my blood boil:explode: . Talk about rude people, if they are that way in their real life I can only imagine them not having many friends! Hiding behind a computer screen and calling it blunt is BS:mad: !!!

Oh dear, I`ve got to get my shower now or I`m going to be late!

Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in so far sunny NC
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    101 lost WOW I just have to say that is an amazing job. How long has it taken you ?
  • Boop217
    Boop217 Posts: 1
    Options
    Cindy, I am sort of a newbie too. I I don't know anyone, but I started reading the posts and thought this is where I need to be right now. I am 55 also. I am need to lose 25 lbs. I have been reading books on where to start, what kind of food to eat and so forth. Bottom line is, menopause is a huge factor in my weight. Never had this problem until I hit menopause about 4 -5 yrs ago. Anyway, I'm in to give support and to receive it. Wishing you and everyone a blessed day!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,779 Member
    Options
    morning chica's~
    up and had my lemon water, load of laundry washed and dried, made the DH ,eggs, bacon,home fries,toast and O.J.,also made my SIL dad a cake that is cooling right now, he is recouping at a convelecent home and he has been wanting this cake for awhile and my SIL is not a big baker,so I am making it... going to make homemade cream cheese frosting for it too.
    me im having yogurt and tea~ whoo hooo
    after we get done with all that we will go down to see my FIL he is about 45-minutes away will see when they will discharge him, and if it is tomorrow then, I would like to know which nursing home they send him too and would like to be there when he gets there...
    I have to work 12:30 -5 tomorrow so depending on what time he gets to where he is going I might have to go after work
    all I know is he is gonna me madder than a wet hen .... hopefully that will pass
    of course I read in the paper this morning that 4 nursing homes in the state got fined for leaving patients unattended.thank goodness it isnt any of the ones I am looking at, but still gets me peeved
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    No loss this morning but no gain either...I'll take it as a win :laugh:

I got up this morning to go to aquafit. Went out to my car only to find a wonderful white layer of SNOW...ugh :noway: :noway: I hear we are in for more snow on Tuesday. yuck!!!!

It was good to be back into the pool as some of my muscles are still a bit sore.

Gotta run, have a great night

:heart: Sandy in ON

Ouch Sandy... more snow:sad: This is just not nice to get more snow now.......I feel for you people down east. -22 C with a -35 windchill here on the prairies. Really hard to get my walking in outside :grumble: But bundled up and went out to feed the woodstove and walk 2 miles with my lab. Out of the wind and in the sun was okay.

I read through the posts here and it seems lots of us are dealing (or have) with aging parents, in-laws, or siblings, :explode: frustrating sometimes. They don't like change.... so when I got home from my mothers house I went downstairs and walked with Leslie Sansone for 45 minutes. I find that helps get my mind calmed somewhat and I can think a little straighter...somedays!!:cry:

Gotta go... granddaughter coming to stay while her parents go ice fishing!! She's a cutie:love:

Lily in SK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kim, I go to bed at 7:30 on the nights I have to get up 3:00 to get the dog walking done before an early event. A few years ago I figured out that I wasted the last few hours of the evening and then wished I had more time in the morning to do things. So a few minutes at a time, I gradually made my bedtime earlier so I could take advantage of the early morning hours. Walking the dogs so early allows me to be much more meditative during the walk because it’s darker, quieter, and we rarely see or hear anyone else. I live in a neighborhood that is perfect for my early morning walks.

:bigsmile: Viv, thank you for the birthday wishes…..best wishes on finding the next job…..glad to hear you are feeling more positive.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, thank you for the birthday wishes….actually I got 12,000 steps before 8 AM, then took a walk at lunchtime at my meeting and walked the dogs again when we got home so the total was 21,000 by the time I went to bed. I am always on the lookout for an opportunity to walk.

:flowerforyou: Heather, thank you for the birthday wishes……I’m not surprised that I goofed up your quote, because years ago I found a great quote that said “Don’t let the good be the enemy of the best” which is a great guideline in other situations (like choosing a life partner, for example) so I just mixed up both pieces of advice.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, thank you for the birthday wishes. I had some nice hand weights for years. Even putting them on the dining room table didn’t inspire me. Then I read “Strong Women Stay Young” and found an easy workout to get me started and except for some breaks because of too many hours outdoors and my back injury, I’ve been doing strength training pretty regularly….enjoy your time with “the boys”

:flowerforyou: To anyone who is new, don’t worry if you don’t know anyone, just respond to one person who says something that interests you, or ask a question, or tell us about yourself, then come back and read what was written since you posted and before long you’ll remember a name or two and feel like part of the community.

:flowerforyou: Today I’ll be doing as little laundry as I can get away with and then hauling the wet stuff to the Laundromat to dry it. I will use the time as an opportunity to be grateful that using the Laundromat is only temporary for me and that it will allow me to sit and enjoy reading the fun book that I usually read only an bedtime.

:laugh: Dogs are staring at me….they know my breakfast is finished and it’s time to go out again (they’ve already been out once to “do business”). Now we go out for fun.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning,

Going to try to take it easyish today since the whip cracks tomorrow. Even with my mom gone, and the extreme level of stress that came with her illness as well, I'm still feeling like there are some things that need to change to lower the stress level even further.

Need to put some needed time and attention into my business, in the the interest of growing it. I guess it all comes down to some organizing and goal setting throughout my life.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the other threads a stressful waste of time. I'm all about differing opinions as we're all different, have different knowledge, experience, etc. but the snark and the mean is not my cup of tea. You're right Barbie, just makes this group shine even brighter.

Moving slowly this morning, made breakfast before working out so I'm off to do that now so I can keep my promise to myself.

Happy day to all!
    Gloria in FREEZING COLD Metro Detroit ....but at least the sun is shining:smile:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning ladies,

Barbie, happy birthday on Tueday! Hope you have a wonderful day and coming year. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee, so glad you like the color, I spent a lot of time looking too.. Everything should be done by Wednesday. Tomorrow the tile goes in. I'm am so excited, DH suggested getting new stainless steel frig and dishwasher too! The stove is stainless/black top. He said he will help me post pics, I am not a techie. I am so blessed to have him. :love:

Yanniejannie, so glad you got a day to relax a bit. :smile:

Sue, so sorry about your brother. :cry:

Prayers to all in need.

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Swiss Chard Quiche

1 baked regular or phyllo pie crust - optional (I like the quiche just fine baked without a crust)

Filling:

2 lbs swiss chard
    1 T. butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1- 8oz pkg fat free cream cheese cut into chunks
    1 c. half and half (fat free works fine)
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. fresh ground black pepper
    1/8 t. fresh ground nutmeg
    1 c. shredded Jarlsberg swiss cheese

Remove stems from the chard running a small knife around where the leaf meets the stem. Stack and cut the stems crosswise into 1/4" thick slices, set aside. Stack and coarsely chop leaves, set aside.

In 8-quart saucepot, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic and chard stems, saute 1 minute. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer.

Uncover, add chard leaves and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring constantly, until tender and most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Remove chard from heat. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add half and half, eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, stirring until well combined.

Sprinkle half of the cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, or on the bottom of pie dish (sprayed with PAM) if not using a crust. Pour in swiss chard filling. Sprinkle remaining cheese in rows on top of quiche. Bake 35 minutes in preheated 375-degree oven, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

Note: I haven't entered the recipe in my recipes here on MFP so I can't tell you the nutrition facts. I did make it once with "light" swiss cheese, it tasted ok, but was lacking a little in richness since I used fat free half and half.

Happy Sunday!

:smile: jb in sunny Portland :glasses:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee and others who commented about other forums agree about the snarkers on other sites.:drinker:

Sue prayers:flowerforyou:

Gloria glad you are taking care of you. I find the time after extreme stress I am vulnerable. I liken it to a pressure cooker. Now the pressure is off. I need to let the steam off slowly. When you are under extreme stress you do not always have the time to take care like you need to. That is why while I am in this extremely stressful time I took a day for me and am eating little sugar and lots of fruits and vegetables, trying to get my sleep, and exercising. It is helping me weather this crisis much better.

Barbie great advice for the newcomers to not feel like you have to respond to all. For me when I have time I do try to respond to as many as possible because I do appreciate those who do. It helps me catch up on important points in our sister’s lives. When I do not have as much time I respond to those point I make a connection to at this time. This is a great forum for support and ideas on weight loss, getting and staying healthy. It is also a great place just to get support for the issues we face as those of us who are 50 plus of age.
    Happy Birthday Tuesday! :flowerforyou: Barbie I am right there with you in enjoying my own company. I think that is one reason I picked contentment as my word of the year.

Yes I too feel the pain of those of us living in the cold belt. We are getting our new furnace Tuesday. Old Betsy, our furnace of 50 years served us well in the coldest winter we have had in 30 years. I have gone around and taken all the pictures off the walls. I learned the hard way when we had other major work done. When they do this kind of work things can fall off the wall and break. I also have learned to clean after they come not before. :laugh:

Eileen darling picture.:smile:

Katia Happy Anniversary.:flowerforyou:

Took my own advice and made some cucumber soup for breakfast. I have a bit of a sore throat, so no church today. I enjoyed yesterday. Went to see Divergent. I felt I needed a story where the heroine over comes impossible odds. I then did find a great swimsuit a Target for $28 with a coupon. Beat out the $50 suit on sale at Kohl’s. Took myself to Panera for lunch. I had the chicken noodle soup, half a sandwich and an apple for my side. Felt much better emotionally because of such a great day! I have had a challenging two weeks.

Sandy with my new suit I hope to be joining you in the water once I am over this cold.

Cucumber soup: 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, half a cucumber sliced, stalk of celery, half cup onion, teaspoon fresh ginger, two cloves garlic, tablespoon fresh cilantro, pepper, no salt because broth has enough, cabbage if you have it, spinach if you have it, fourth teaspoon turmeric if you have it. Great to have if you are getting a cold or have a cold. Also great as an anti-inflammatory meal. Restrict sugar consumption if you can.

Goal:
    To take care of myself today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    To eat lightly today to keep my cold at bay.

2014 word: contentment
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It's the courage to continue that counts. (Saw this on FB and reminded me of my fitness pals)

One of my fitness pals just shared this quote. Wanted to share it with you. Timely for me.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's another beautiful morning here. Sunny and chilly now but expected to make it into the 50's. Not bad. The scale was kind to me this morning, saying 200.2! I'm SO CLOSE to Onederland! I actually weighed myself, then waited another hour and weighed again, because sometimes I'm a little lower after my second trip to the bathroom, but no luck today. Oh well, maybe a couple more days because I never seem to lose two days in a row.

Kempt-ken, I'm not sure if it was me you were asking, but my ticker read 101, so maybe it was me. It has taken me about a year to lose that much. I have 55 pounds to go, then I'll see how I feel. I recently changed my goal from 155 to 145 just so I can get into the "normal" range, but I might try to go a little lower than that. The loss has slowed down to a crawl now, but that's ok too. At least it's still going in the right direction. How about you? How much are you trying to lose?

Gloria, I'm another one who doesn't care for some of the other threads because those people can be so mean. Barbie has made such a nice safe cocoon for us here. It's really great to just relax and take a deep breath among people who understand, support, and don't judge. I look at some of the other threads and have commented a few times when I thought I had something to offer but sometimes found myself getting criticized and even ridiculed for saying it, so now I mostly keep my mouth shut.

It may be just me, but I find young people today are often just plain mean. Thursday at the Y I was made fun of by a gang of teenage girls who were mocking the loose skin on my neck. They didn't care if I saw them do it either. When I was a teenager I never did stuff like that, but of course I do remember some mean girls at school, so maybe I just have selective amnesia.

I've put a London broil in the crock pot to make burrito filling for tonight's supper. I saw a recipe somewhere, but can't remember where. You use 2 pounds of London broil, one package of taco seasoning (I'm trying Katla's recipe for seasoning), two teaspoons of vinegar, a chopped onion and a can of green chilies in the crock pot, then shred it with forks like pulled pork. It sounds so good. Hubby can add his own salt. I'll have mine on corn tortillas but got flour for him. I'm planning to try making cabbage steaks too. Never done that before. Hubby is afraid it will stink up the house. :huh:

Today I'm taking the kids a chest of drawers I wasn't using at the lake. It has a couple of runners under one drawer that had come loose, so I'm gluing and clamping them this morning. And I'm going to take them a bunch of stickers to decorate it. I was going to paint it but it's really shiny laminate material, so it would be hard to make paint stick. Stickers should be fun. It's not a fancy piece, so why not! I'm taking the kids swimming at the Y later today. That will be fun.

Well, I've gotta go. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Sylvia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Cindy, I am sort of a newbie too. I I don't know anyone, but I started reading the posts and thought this is where I need to be right now. I am 55 also. I am need to lose 25 lbs. I have been reading books on where to start, what kind of food to eat and so forth. Bottom line is, menopause is a huge factor in my weight. Never had this problem until I hit menopause about 4 -5 yrs ago. Anyway, I'm in to give support and to receive it. Wishing you and everyone a blessed day!

You have found the right group! So much support and friendship here.

Thanks everyone for the warning about other groups.

Cindy in OK :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Had another nice long walk with DH yesterday. Today is yard work. I have my eye on an enormous overgrown pyracantha. Hopefully, by the end of the day it will be a neat, manageable bush, and the trimmings hauled off to the composting landfill. I already tackled the quince, and it fought back, nearly poking out an eye and my jugular, so wish me luck.

I made banana-blueberry muffins this morning with gluten-free flour. They were crust-covered rubber! :laugh: Maybe next time, I should use a recipe!

Got to suit up. The pyracantha awaits.
    Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Just made DH chocolate fudge cupcakes. I didn't have one, but I did eat some plain chocolate and scraped the bowl! ! ! ! :embarassed: Docked myself 200 calories.
    I seem to have got worse since I had the splurge in Scotland. I find myself eyeing up all sorts of goodies I haven't looked at in years.:embarassed: So far no disasters because I'm not buying anything. But I WANT to!

I like to look at the success threads on mfp. Some of them are incredible! As are you ladies! :love: :love: :heart:

Margaret - sorry you are having such a lot of stress. Self compassion. :flowerforyou:

Deedee - your bossing days sound such fun.:flowerforyou:

Love Heather in showery, soon to be freezing tonight, Hampshire UK
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all!

Thought I would check on my March goals and update progress so far.

March goals - Continue more vegetables - so far so good
    Drink 8-10 glasses water a day - most every day
    50 min cardio twice a week - and sometimes 60!!
    Lose 2-3 pounds - 2 down, need to lose another 1-2
    Work out 3 times a week - with DH's support have done this so far
    Up my weights in strength training - Done and still doing. All weights are up at least 10%, some a fair amount more. Seated planks now 1 1/2 minutes each (5 total)

Barbie - have a wonderful birthday Tuesday!! :heart: :flowerforyou: I'm another one who is comfortable by myself. Do like company as well.

Jill in western MA
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Yikes!!! Such a change from the past 2 days
    gray, dark, overcast, breezy and 40's. Have fed the birds twice........I think they know bad weather is coming...........although what we will get---"wintery mix" vs. ice vs. rain will be up to the storms' track.........personally I'm hoping it stays WAY off the coast.

Sylvia...........Holding my breath for that milestone for you! Fingers crossed.

Margaret........How accurate your "pressure cooker" comparison is for post stress situations!!! Hats off for your fab day---love Panera myself; not sure if it's good or bad that I live within a half hour of four of them. Never saw a recipe for cucumber soup before; looks interesting.

Cindy........I'm voting that we see pics of the new kitchen too!!!

Dee Dee...............Hope you had fun "bossing the boys" part 2. I'm concerned about the effect of this coming weather on the plants too.

Heather.........Trust me, the quotes I looked at were in English; my French could not even be called paltry.

Michele..........Great story about the 49th!

Kim and Liz............I like real books better. I have an IPAD, but only use it for Facetime with DD.

Best to everyone,
    yanniejannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    One of the things I enjoy reading in this forum is the helpful quotes. Not sure where it originated, but here is one I have been absorbing for a while about plateaus:

"When you get to a plateau, think of it as a landing on the stairway to your goal. And maintenance is a lifelong plateau, so a bit of rehearsal for maintenance isn't the worst thing in the world."

Have a great Sunday!

Renny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,779 Member
    Options
    afternoon my friends~
    thanks Renny I have been on this Joyride for over a year now and this is my second plateau.. I know ill get back on the bandwagon soon...
    I an really tired all this running around is poopin me out.. I still hope to see my girlfriend and family later on..
    went down to see the DFIL keeps saying oh im glad you came can you take me home..
    DH says he hates lying to him, because this time he wont be going home...
    I am hoping there is a bed in one of the places I have picked out...
    I put them in order as to where I would like him placed...
    these passed few months have been a doozy and I am glad that I have been in good health or it could have really taken a toll on me.
    This is where a vacation would come in handy, but I dont get one until the end of June.. so will have to make due...