are potatoes really bad?

Options
i love potatoes!! however i hear its not the best because its a heavy carb. what do you think?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I find for the calories/nutrients/taste that plain potatoes are a waste of my day, but I do have sweet potatoes 2-3 times per week as they are more nutrient dense and I can go sweet or savory with them.

Thoughts? Don't take dietary advice from anyone that uses the term "heavy carb" and/or says you can't eat the things that you enjoy while meeting your goals.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I loooooooove red potatoes. At my thinnest weight I was eating them a few times a week.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Man I hope not...... I've lost some weight eating them atleast 3 to 4 days a week...... I say there is nothing wrong with them..... :drinker:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. There are no bad foods.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    How can something that can be made into french fries be bad?
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation..

Potatoes are a great source for Potassium. They actually have more than Bananas.
    Your body needs potassium to:

Build proteins
    Break down and use carbohydrates
    Build muscle
    Maintain normal body growth
    Control the electrical activity of the heart
    Control the acid-base balance

Some studies have linked low levels of potassium in the diet with high blood pressure.
    People who get a lot of potassium in their diet have a lower risk of stroke.
  • Alsharqia
    Alsharqia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, I do the same as you
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Definitely not bad, and a great source of potassium. If you love them, continue to eat them in moderation :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    maybe if they have gone rotten sure those are bad ...

otherwise no potatoes are tasty
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're *really* bad. Just misunderstood. Though I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley. They make me uncomfortable the way their eyes are all over me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.

what are these 'bad' foods? why are they bad?

Potatoes are fine.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome! French fries are a big part of my weight gain, but eaten in moderation, potatoes can be part of a healthy diet. I especially like mashed potatoes with butter and milk in them. Plenty of carbs and fat, but if you balance it with a good protein source, it's a good meal. Also a good source of vitamin C.

Right now, though, I'm eating more sweet potatoes. They grow well around here, are very cheap and have a lot of potassium.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

There are NO bad foods, there may be some more nutritious than others but no food should ever be labeled good or bad...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    i love potatoes!! however i hear its not the best because its a heavy carb. what do you think?

Potatoes are a very nutritious food... eat them without guilt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, they are not "bad'…

I eat potatoes at least two to three times a week and it has not hampered my progress…

you can eat all the potatoes, rice, bread, etc that you want, just stay in a deficit, hit your carb marcor for the day….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

lol..please tell me what the "bad" foods are ...
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious and if you can fit it into your meal plan then I don't see how it could be considered "bad." Any advice that tells you to steer clear of perfectly nutritious food, barring a medical condition, is bad advice.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, a little bit of salt, black pepper, and virgen olive oil. And you have a tasty salad with carbs, protein, and good fats.

Enjoy!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

maybe they just fell in with a bad crowd!!