are potatoes really bad?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    But how is potato and egg a salad?

I think potatoes are great. I actually don't care that much for them so this makes them the perfect lunch meal. Nuke it in the microwave before work , pack it along with any left over meat in the fridge and some veggies from my roasted veggie batch. It's important that i use a food item I'm pretty "meh" about for lunch because I tried making a more fancy chicken/apple salad meal for lunch and half of it was eaten before daylight ever broke.

Potato salad?

LOL good point I guess that is a thing. For a minute there it seemed like hey let's boil rice and eggs mix em together and call it a salad :tongue:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. There are no bad foods.
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.

Well, I've lost weight, worked out successfully and am at my goal by eating "processed" food, whole food, diet Coke, alcohol, and any anything else that fits into my calorie allotment. There are NO bad foods.

Well, Ive lost weight and worked out quite successfully by not eating processed foods, drinking diet coke or alcohol. I think results speak for themselves..

And to you there may be no bad foods, but to some there are. For me, I have a inflammatory disease. There are some foods that can send me to the emergency room, so to ME they are bad foods. So to make a broad statement across the board that there are no bad foods, is just not true.

Potatoes are delicious foods, cheap and easy to cook. There really is no reason to have a processed potato food product. Sweet potatoes are higher in vitamins than the white potato but the white potato is higher in minerals.

Potatoes are a regular part of my diet because I friggen love them, and they are not unhealthy as people once thought.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.

There are NO bad foods, there may be some more nutritious than others but no food should ever be labeled good or bad...

Trans-fats. Bad, Period. NO need for them.

Which is why most food companies have removed or majorly decrease trans fat in foods... Still doesn't change the fact there are NO Bad foods. Again the nutrition make up in some may be better than others but there is no reason to lump any food into categories of good vs. bad..............
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing about bread. But like others have said no food is bad, moderation is the key. Potatoes are not my thing but I like sweet potatoes but my bread is a different story. My hubby does the no carb and it works for him but MFP has worked for me eating everything in moderation. This one can do for a lifetime. I guess no carb is ok short term to give you a jump start. But I tend to binge if I get real restrictive.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    And to you there may be no bad foods, but to some there are. For me, I have a inflammatory disease. There are some foods that can send me to the emergency room, so to ME they are bad foods. So to make a broad statement across the board that there are no bad foods, is just not true.

One should make the distinction between so-called "bad" and "intolerable" foods.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well, Ive lost weight and worked out quite successfully by not eating processed foods, drinking diet coke or alcohol. I think results speak for themselves..

Potatoes are delicious foods, cheap and easy to cook. There really is no reason to have a processed potato food product. Sweet potatoes are higher in vitamins than the white potato but the white potato is higher in minerals.

Potatoes are a regular part of my diet because I friggen love them, and they are not unhealthy as people once thought.
    [/quote]

You are absolutely correct. For some there are "bad" foods, but the OP was asking a general question about the heavy carb content....Certainly people with food allergies or sensitivities need to be careful. But randomly labeling a food as bad because it's high or low in some nutrient is silly and misleading. That's all. :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    Options

Well, I've lost weight, worked out successfully and am at my goal by eating "processed" food, whole food, diet Coke, alcohol, and any anything else that fits into my calorie allotment. There are NO bad foods.

Your equating a food as being bad when in fact it is just intolerable by someone with a certain medical conditions... That being said, by all means if you have a medical condition then yes certain foods may need to be avoided but for the rest of the population there are no bad foods....
  • CardiacLioness
    CardiacLioness Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are really good, as far as negative effects, just all depends on the form you eat them in (all of which are delicious. So in a sense, potatoes are never bad.)
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They are great. I cut them into chips with skins on (contains much potassium, vitamin c, fibre), coat with salt, black pepperand mixed herbs then bake in the oven for 30 mins. I eat 700g a day like this while losing weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Only if they have bugs in them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    A small baking potato is approximately 110 calories, which isn't bad at all. Just be mindful of your toppings, and you will be fine.

I love potatoes... all the potatoes!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i was having a potato a day with cheese, but i went to a sweet potato instead. i also try to have an avacado and a banana a day. they're good anti-inflamatory foods and high in potassium. a potato in moderation won't kill you, though.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, a little bit of salt, black pepper, and virgen olive oil. And you have a tasty salad with carbs, protein, and good fats.

Enjoy!

That sounds absolutely delicious!

Thanks guys, this was my mother's recipe. Sometimes she used to add sliced tomatoes and the juice of the tomatoes mixed with the olive oil was/is awesome.. Of course you need some italian bread to go with it.:wink:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    they are not bad --especially with butter and sour cream on them.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

There are NO bad foods, there may be some more nutritious than others but no food should ever be labeled good or bad...

Trans-fats. Bad, Period. NO need for them.

Well...um, some naturally occurring trans facts could provide health benefits. Not all trans fats are equally "bad". So says Harvard and stuff.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are really really really good for you! I love organic potatoes the best....they taste better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love red potatoes. Just weigh them so you don't underestimate the calories (I've never found a potato that has as few calories as the "small potato" database entry) and enjoy.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

umm... black licorice is a bad food. very very bad.

black-licorice1.jpg
  • CyberEd312
    Options

black-licorice1.jpg

Well now that is not food that is Just pure EVIL!!!! lol now his little kid brother (Cherry Twizzler) totally edible!! :drinker:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

black-licorice1.jpg
    I love black licorice, Burro! Go eat some cauliflower. :angry: