are potatoes really bad?

Options

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    All things in moderation. There are no bad foods.
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.

lol..please tell me what the "bad" foods are ...

Some foods are bad. For example, killer tomatoes, they are bad.

tumblr_lq01rcPtoe1qlzduwo1_400.gif
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Of course there are bad foods, but potatoes isn't one of them. Any whole food (not processed) is good for you in moderation.

The only redeeming quality of a Cadbury Creme Egg is how yummy they are. I eat them, anyway. :P

Actually, I don't divide my food options into the "good" and "bad" categories. But I make daily judgements on whether I consider a particular item "worth spending the calories on." In terms of flavor balanced against calories, I find that Oreos fall short. On the other hand, I'll gladly substitute half an apple pie with a mountain of ice cream on it for my dinner.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Potatoes...when left alone can be bad...they grow tentacles that poke out through the bag and grab your leg when you go in the pantry. My advice...eat them before they have a chance to grow tentacles.

I find potatoes necessary...how else would you make homemade hashbrowns with cheese if you didn't have potatoes?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Nope they are not!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I love them. I eat them several times a week. Hasn't hurt my progress.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, a little bit of salt, black pepper, and virgen olive oil. And you have a tasty salad with carbs, protein, and good fats.

Enjoy!

that sounds amazerful
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Well, I've lost weight, worked out successfully and am at my goal by eating "processed" food, whole food, diet Coke, alcohol, and any anything else that fits into my calorie allotment. There are NO bad foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm. Potatoes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, a little bit of salt, black pepper, and virgen olive oil. And you have a tasty salad with carbs, protein, and good fats.

Enjoy!

That sounds absolutely delicious!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

There are NO bad foods, there may be some more nutritious than others but no food should ever be labeled good or bad...

Trans-fats. Bad, Period. NO need for them.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    ETA: Image posting fail
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great, especially mashed with garlic, milk, and a bit of butter.

Just don't eat too many of them.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

brussels sprouts and lutefisk,
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, they're not really bad.

They're carbs, if you have a carb limit/goal and eating them causes you to go over that, don't eat them. They're not going to instantly make you gain weight though unless you're in a calorie surplus because of them. If you like them that much, fit them into your calories and macros and you'll be absolutely fine :)

I'm not really big on potatoes myself, but I do love carbs! Never done me any harm, everything in moderation.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Enjoy!

That sounds absolutely delicious!

But how is potato and egg a salad?

I think potatoes are great. I actually don't care that much for them so this makes them the perfect lunch meal. Nuke it in the microwave before work , pack it along with any left over meat in the fridge and some veggies from my roasted veggie batch. It's important that i use a food item I'm pretty "meh" about for lunch because I tried making a more fancy chicken/apple salad meal for lunch and half of it was eaten before daylight ever broke.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat baked potatoes often! I just bake it and spray a little parkay spray on it (taste like butter but no calories) and about 1/8 cup of 2% shredded cheddar cheese. Sooooo good! Make sure to weigh the potato. My potatoes say for 1 serving=1 potato (5 oz) is 110 calories, yet most potatoes, even the small ones are about 7 oz which would be 1.4 servings when you calculate calories
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options

What are these bad foods you allude to? Personally I'd say something with cinnamon, celery, cucumbers and tomatoes would be bad... a lot of people would disagree with me (especially since those are all usually considered "clean" foods). Nothing is really truly bad if eaten in moderation.
  • curvyin2014
    Options
    I think it's mainly the stuff you have with the potatoes that make them high in calories, ex butter, sourcream cheese etc
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    But how is potato and egg a salad?

I think potatoes are great. I actually don't care that much for them so this makes them the perfect lunch meal. Nuke it in the microwave before work , pack it along with any left over meat in the fridge and some veggies from my roasted veggie batch. It's important that i use a food item I'm pretty "meh" about for lunch because I tried making a more fancy chicken/apple salad meal for lunch and half of it was eaten before daylight ever broke.

Potato salad?
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    QFT