Garcinia Cambogia

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    One thing I find very very interesting is that of the supplements and medications that have ACTUAL FDA approval and peer reviewed proof of working, I've yet to see a thread crop up like this.

There are many supplemental options that have had moderate effects on weightloss that run far lower risks. I don't understand why people who want to have an extra boost to their weightloss through a supplement or pill don't just talk to their doctor about it. There are a couple Rx options for short term boosts as well as FDA-approved OTC supplements. There's also a plethora of studies regarding vitamins, caffeine, etc.

I mean, let's put this in perspective, though... Anecdotal evidence showed tobacco products as being a great supplement for housewives looking to lose weight. Even to this day, studies support the fact that cigarettes provide a appetite suppressant effect. It doesn't mean it's a good idea, or a great option.
    That's how I feel about this. Even if it manages to help with appetite, the fact that liver disease has resulted directly from its use tells me that there are better options out there.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    One thing I find very very interesting is that of the supplements and medications that have ACTUAL FDA approval and peer reviewed proof of working, I've yet to see a thread crop up like this.

There are many supplemental options that have had moderate effects on weightloss that run far lower risks. I don't understand why people who want to have an extra boost to their weightloss through a supplement or pill don't just talk to their doctor about it. There are a couple Rx options for short term boosts as well as FDA-approved OTC supplements. There's also a plethora of studies regarding vitamins, caffeine, etc.

I mean, let's put this in perspective, though... Anecdotal evidence showed tobacco products as being a great supplement for housewives looking to lose weight. Even to this day, studies support the fact that cigarettes provide a appetite suppressant effect. It doesn't mean it's a good idea, or a great option.
    That's how I feel about this. Even if it manages to help with appetite, the fact that liver disease has resulted directly from its use tells me that there are better options out there.

Logic....Pffffffffft. Why are you bringing logic to the table. It doesn't seem wanted in here. Hehehe.
  • Quasita
    Options

Logic....Pffffffffft. Why are you bringing logic to the table. It doesn't seem wanted in here. Hehehe.

You'd think a "med student" would also be in the business of encouraging people to rely on their healthcare professionals rather than the TV or Internet.
    I immediately thought of it as "med student" meaning "taking a CNA course at the community college." That's not to put down CNAs, but to say that they have no business claiming expertise in anyway.

Frankly, no student does. I know if you're in law school, and you fathom to give law advice without having graduated and passing the BAR, you can lose your entire application and credits. It should be that way for medical professionals too, that you shouldn't be allowed to claim your student status as a badge of expertise, because it just isn't.

OP, regardless, any new supplement should be discussed with your doctor, in order to properly monitor your health and reactions. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then that should tell you something pretty significant about the product itself.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Oh, people and their expensive, ineffective, and potentially dangerous weight loss supplements - remember, you are following the advice of this man -

tumblr_mvhmr11mCz1s4n7zso1_400.gif
  • Quasita
    Options
    Oh, people and their expensive, ineffective, and potentially dangerous weight loss supplements - remember, you are following the advice of this man -

Most Awkward Threesome Award
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Most Awkward Threesome Award

If Dr. Oz ever invites you to check out his nasal passage, the answer is always "No."
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this will help....

I am currently taking Garcinia Cambogia. I am not taking it for all the hyped up stories of drastic weight loss.

What I have found though, is that while I have had some weight loss (I am modifying diet and increasing exercise), it seems to help with cravings. I no longer crave food in between meals. I do not take this religiously, and notice when I don't, cravings seem to come back.

I will continue to take this until 1) I am at goal or 2) I no longer feel that is assisting me in my weight loss.

For those of you that want to bash anyone for taking it, go ahead. I am doing what I feel is right for me. No one diet is the right one for everyone. You need to find what works for you.:glasses:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    For those of you that want to bash anyone for taking it, go ahead. I am doing what I feel is right for me. No one diet is the right one for everyone. You need to find what works for you.:glasses:

calorie deficit = weight loss
    how you get there is up to you.

we bash stupid ideas. You know, starving yourself on a VLCD that's gonna fail. Same for people that show up here with 10 lbs to lose and think that they can just do it overnight. You COULD lose weight on a cocaine and peanut butter diet... but we'd probably bash it too.

Wanna spend money on a freaking pill that you think is going to make a difference? Fine. You could be spending that money on stuff that makes a difference.. you know.. like a food scale, or food, or a good pair of running shoes... or some weights for the home gym.

but hey, you got this covered.

not that any of us have a clue about how to lose weight....

...myself included.

TL;DR? They don't make a difference in the long run. They don't make a difference in the short run. If you're hungry, why not assess how much you should be eating, and eat that much. You know, get filling foods.. like proteins/fats/fiber.

This topic has come and gone 100,000 times before this post. The responses are the same because they are what works. Oz is a freaking quack that gets paid to shill out garbage.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

calorie deficit = weight loss
    how you get there is up to you.

we bash stupid ideas. You know, starving yourself on a VLCD that's gonna fail. Same for people that show up here with 10 lbs to lose and think that they can just do it overnight. You COULD lose weight on a cocaine and peanut butter diet... but we'd probably bash it too.

Wanna spend money on a freaking pill that you think is going to make a difference? Fine. You could be spending that money on stuff that makes a difference.. you know.. like a food scale, or food, or a good pair of running shoes... or some weights for the home gym.

...myself included.

TL;DR? They don't make a difference in the long run. They don't make a difference in the short run. If you're hungry, why not assess how much you should be eating, and eat that much. You know, get filling foods.. like proteins/fats/fiber.

This topic has come and gone 100,000 times before this post. The responses are the same because they are what works. Oz is a freaking quack that gets paid to shill out garbage.

x 1 trillion.

tumblr_mmgvdgPQek1spiuxqo4_250.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You'd think a "med student" would also be in the business of encouraging people to rely on their healthcare professionals rather than the TV or Internet.
    I immediately thought of it as "med student" meaning "taking a CNA course at the community college." That's not to put down CNAs, but to say that they have no business claiming expertise in anyway.

Frankly, no student does. I know if you're in law school, and you fathom to give law advice without having graduated and passing the BAR, you can lose your entire application and credits. It should be that way for medical professionals too, that you shouldn't be allowed to claim your student status as a badge of expertise, because it just isn't.

OP, regardless, any new supplement should be discussed with your doctor, in order to properly monitor your health and reactions. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then that should tell you something pretty significant about the product itself.

You'll see people claiming to work in the "medical profession" to back up their statements in regards to the advice (usually really bad advice) they are handing out. In one instance, it was revealed the woman actually just did data entry for a medical company.

Yeah. There are a lot of "bonjour" moments here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have tried this product and Pure Green Coffee Bean extract for 60 days (both recommended by Dr. Oz.). I had really good results, I lost 14 pounds one Green Coffee Bean Extract and 10 lbs on Garcinia Cambogia. I did both because I wanted to see if one would work better than the other. On top of taking the supplements although you do not have to change your lifestyle, I chose to do so for better results. Once I just stopped taking the supplements, it took a while before I gained any of the weight back (I'm talking months literally). I had no side effects other than the frequent urge to void and drink, but I had no jitters or anything that would cause concern. I eat a lot less during meals and snacks because it did help to shrink my stomach back done to normal size and I also have loads of energy. Overall, I had no issues and give it a good recommendation. Just be careful to look at the back of the label at the ingredients. The only ingredient should be: Veggie Cellulose and nothing else. If there is any other ingredients stay away from it because it is NOT the real deal.

You had frequent and sudden urges to void but had no issues?

Also, sounds like you lost weight as you were effectively taking a laxative.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this product. If so, what type of results have you had?

Ever think instead of anecdotes, you might I don't know research the literature to see if it's ever been shown to be effective in humans for weight loss?

Did you ever think that maybe she has looked online at the info and wanted comments from real people who have used the product? Did you ever think that maybe no comment could be better than your snarky reply that was of no help whatsoever??

Agreed. "Literature" is pretty subjective. I google "Garcinia Cambogia doesn't work" and come up with a million results. I can also google "Garcinia Combogia weight loss miracle" and come up with a million more, all contradicting the first ones, all "based on scientific evidence".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Again, it sounds like a "Sucks to be YOU kind of moment." I did my own research on both products... And, I just stopped "Cold Turkey" after I finished and didn't gain a lb for months and I had a sedentary job. And, in the 30 days I waited to take the Garcinia Cambogia I gained NOTHING! Had it been simply water weight or waste that I lost, I would have gained some of it back *genius*, I gained NOTHING AGAIN! But, let me guess you know me personally and you know my body chemistry! :noway: And, you did research by reading forums! Right?! I tested the theories and came up with my own results.

Why, am I WASTING my time on YOU! Like I said, "IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE MY RESPONSE IT SIMPLY SOUNDS LIKE A SUCKS TO BE YOU KIND OF MOMENT!" I didn't answer the question based on "WHAT I READ," I answered the question based on "WHAT I DID!"

I'm a medical student, this is what we do! We find stuff that intrigues us and we test the theories against others it's called the "SCIENTIFIC METHOD," go read about it and TRY IT OUT, you might actually learn a thing or two! :laugh:

Now you have a GOOD DAY! :flowerforyou:

What exactly is your definition of a sucks to be you moment, because you keep using that term, but in the context that has absolutely no similarity in how I would use it (if I actually ever was going to use it).

And lol...scientific method. My suggestion...keep studying...a lot and hard.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this product. If so, what type of results have you had?

To be honest, I've tried all kinds and brands of weight loss supplements. Effect was only temporary and with so many side effects. Nothing beats MFP - EAT LESS, MOVE MORE and LOG EVERYTHING. In other words accountability. There is no magic pill or potion out there yet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Ever think instead of anecdotes, you might I don't know research the literature to see if it's ever been shown to be effective in humans for weight loss?

Did you ever think that maybe she has looked online at the info and wanted comments from real people who have used the product? Did you ever think that maybe no comment could be better than your snarky reply that was of no help whatsoever??

Agreed. "Literature" is pretty subjective. I google "Garcinia Cambogia doesn't work" and come up with a million results. I can also google "Garcinia Combogia weight loss miracle" and come up with a million more, all contradicting the first ones, all "based on scientific evidence".

What is confirmation bias? And the googles instead of something like google scholar, pubmed etc? Strong research skills
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Using google to do actual research is as effective as lifting weights in an anti-gravity chamber
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

...myself included.

Not everyone is born with the same awesome genetics as you. And you're male so of coarse loosing weight is easy.

You North Carolinians think you're hot *kitten*
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

What is confirmation bias? And the googles instead of something like google scholar, pubmed etc? Strong research skills

You know, your abs and your punctuation sway me every time. However, many people don't have great internet research skills. I certainly don't outside of my area of expertise (Adult Learning). Giving the rest of us actual sources that we can start with:

examine.com
    google scholar
    pubmed
    (anything else?)

might actually raise the level of discussion around here.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

...myself included.

Not everyone is born with the same awesome genetics as you. And you're male so of coarse loosing weight is easy.

You North Carolinians think you're hot *kitten*
    I see what you did there... :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.