not giving up meat for Lent

Options
15678911»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Tennisdude200~"What did Jesus give up for me?"

I don't wanna be that gal...but, He gave up His life for you. He was beaten until they could not recognise Him. No other "god" did this for you/us. I hope you will see that God is LOVE not a big bully up in the sky.

Just my 2 cents/ pounds and not hard feelings!

I wish all of life's BEST and CHEERZ! :drinker:

Umm, Jesus is not God...............

Jesus is love. God is a vengeful God, not a loving God.
    You never fail to disappoint in the entertainment department.

It is not an opinion. It is stated over and over and over in the Old Testament. People tend to forget about the old testament and speak only of the new testament.

I have taken several religion classes in college as well as I grew up Catholic and we were taught that God is a vengeful God.

Why do you think the Old Testament states "An eye for an eye, etc........." Because God was full of annihilation, violence, and venegence. the killing of children, etc.

I'm more curious about how we got away from the holy trinity- only one God- and all.

God and Jesus aren't the same thing. Jesus is a real man that really roamed the earth. God is the deity that no one has seen nor heard from.............I really don't know if he truly exists, but Jesus did exist and was a real, living human being.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Methodist don't give up meat for Lent. If you are catholic you can have fish on Fridays.

Remember Lent is about sacrifice and reflection so you can become closer to God. You don't necessarly have teo give up any food.

I am giving up my snooze button in favor or getting up and saying morning prayers or spending that extra 10 minutes reading the Bible. My husband and I also give up curse words. We donate 25 cents for every curse word.

Eat healthy and treat you body well and appriceate what it can do. I can't speek for him but I htink that will please God.

totes adorbs.

What is that even supposed to mean? It sounds like something a toddler would say.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you say that then?

Because the primary subject matter I was discussing was penitential nature of eating fish. I was NOT discussing the difference between pescetarianism and vegetarianism.

My apologies for not appreciating what you thought you were putting across, rather than what you said.

Must go and redo the psychic course :)

145.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I don't wanna be that gal...but, He gave up His life for you. He was beaten until they could not recognise Him. No other "god" did this for you/us. I hope you will see that God is LOVE not a big bully up in the sky.

It is not an opinion. It is stated over and over and over in the Old Testament. People tend to forget about the old testament and speak only of the new testament.

I have taken several religion classes in college as well as I grew up Catholic and we were taught that God is a vengeful God.

Why do you think the Old Testament states "An eye for an eye, etc........." Because God was full of annihilation, violence, and venegence. the killing of children, etc.

I assume you've never cut your hair either then, since you go by the Old Testament.

In the Old Testament, men had many wives and concubines. Because it talks about it, does that make it okay for you?

I didn't say I lived by the Old Testament personally. I stated that I have studied it and God is not the loving God that the New Testament portrays him as.

It is also stated somewhere in the New Testament that God doesn't change, so how can he be such a loving, caring God when he has ordered the destruction of cities, killing of babies and children, violence, total annihilation, etc.

And, I wear my hair very short. I wear mixed fibers, etc.

Newsflash: There are lots of inconsistencies in the Bible.

There are lots of loving people fighting wars right now. I don't know why a deity can't be just AND loving.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In because this has gotten hilarious.

Pretty much the only reason I'm still here. Hehe.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I'm more curious about how we got away from the holy trinity- only one God- and all.

God and Jesus aren't the same thing. Jesus is a real man that really roamed the earth. God is the deity that no one has seen nor heard from.............I really don't know if he truly exists, but Jesus did exist and was a real, living human being.

I don't think that Jesus, Luke, Peter, Paul, Matthew, John and so forth are Hebrew names. Or Thomas.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Newsflash: There are lots of inconsistencies in the Bible.

See: Mark of Cain.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    /sigh
    why do people always think they need meat to get enough protein?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This thread has gotten nuts (quelle surprise)...

Cool....I can check off "Watch a religious debate unfold on a food and nutrition board" from my bucket list now.

:huh:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i hate fish. i would fail miserably at anything that would require me to eat fish.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I don't think that Jesus, Luke, Peter, Paul, Matthew, John and so forth are Hebrew names. Or Thomas.

Actually the names were changed for western audiences - in the same way Jesus is portrayed as caucasian with blond hair growing up in the middle east. - his original name was Yeshua ben Yoseph. Yeshua son of Joseph.

Man can you imagine the sunburns Yeshua went through as a child with that fair skin!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    In because this has gotten hilarious.

Pretty much the only reason I'm still here. Hehe.

kind of hard not to stay away.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This thread has gotten nuts (quelle surprise)...

Cool....I can check off "Watch a religious debate unfold on a food and nutrition board" from my bucket list now.

:huh:

:laugh:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

Exactly x 100! (But I am not vegetarian:wink: )
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy watching the atheists and agnostics go all bat **** crazy about religion.

Don't worry guys, I'll pray for you. :drinker: :drinker: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.