not giving up meat for Lent

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All of the intense focus on refraining from (certain types) of meat 1 day a week and giving up some petty, insignificant vice for a few months. Isn't there a nagging voice in the back of your mind questioning why this matters at all to people anymore? Why not pledge to do something that actually matters to / helps people (you can't tell me rationally that any sort of credible deity cares whether you eat a piece of bologna on Friday or that you you temporarily gave up Skittles)?

Because that's not the way being Catholic works- duh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian (lacto-ovo), things like this are really frustrating for me as well. Due to it I get people trying to feed me things such as fish or meat sauce minus the chunks of meat because they know a "vegetarian" who ate such and such. When I try to explain what I will eat and vegetarianism the other person gets argumentative.

My partner puts it across as "nothing with a face"

Personally I quite like dead animal now and again, but not often :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    My partner puts it across as "nothing with a face"

Personally I quite like dead animal now and again, but not often :)

had a friend who said "fish aren't animals- they are tubes- with eyes"

shrug. whatever helps you get through the day I guess.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    All of the intense focus on refraining from (certain types) of meat 1 day a week and giving up some petty, insignificant vice for a few months. Isn't there a nagging voice in the back of your mind questioning why this matters at all to people anymore? Why not pledge to do something that actually matters to / helps people (you can't tell me rationally that any sort of credible deity cares whether you eat a piece of bologna on Friday or that you you temporarily gave up Skittles)?

You can pledge to DO something instead of pledging to give up something. I don't get why it matters so much to others about what people choose to do or not do for Lent.

The sacrifice of whatever vice someone chooses to give up is to remember the sacrificing that Jesus did and his 40 day fast. If you think it's silly or irrational then don't participate. Simple as that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I try to explain what I will eat and vegetarianism the other person gets argumentative. They insist that I can eat fish or whatever because of the one person they know of claiming to be something they really aren't.

My aunt got nasty with me over the vegetarians can eat fish thing.

But what's truly funny about that is that even before I became veg, I didn't eat fish or any kind of seafood. I never liked the taste. This is something my entire family knows about me, so it was especially ridiculous that she was insisting I must eat fish as a veg when I didn't eat it as a meat-eater!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    d60aa4ec-409f-41d1-859f-f2fbf9b08b2d_zps1b69db6a.jpg
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

I guess it is fine if your protein goal is 41. :smile:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When I try to explain what I will eat and vegetarianism the other person gets argumentative. They insist that I can eat fish or whatever because of the one person they know of claiming to be something they really aren't.

But what's truly funny about that is that even before I became veg, I didn't eat fish or any kind of seafood. I never liked the taste. This is something my entire family knows about me, so it was especially ridiculous that she was insisting I must eat fish as a veg when I didn't eat it as a meat-eater!

The exact same for me. It actually was my aunt insisting I could eat fish and my uncle with the meat sauce. I didn't eat any seafood prior to becoming vegetarian either. Like you, I never liked the taste.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

I guess it is fine if your protein goal is 41. :smile:

Also unless any of the above mention foods were cut up into animal shapes I would touch them!!!!!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you say that then?

Because the primary subject matter I was discussing was penitential nature of eating fish. I was NOT discussing the difference between pescetarianism and vegetarianism.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The exact same for me. It actually was my aunt insisting I could eat fish and my uncle with the meat sauce. I didn't eat any seafood prior to becoming vegetarian either. Like you, I never liked the taste.

People are weird.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

You can pledge to DO something instead of pledging to give up something. I don't get why it matters so much to others about what people choose to do or not do for Lent.

The sacrifice of whatever vice someone chooses to give up is to remember the sacrificing that Jesus did and his 40 day fast. If you think it's silly or irrational then don't participate. Simple as that.

I don't - but that doesn't prohibit me from expressing my opinion. If reading critical and/or contradictory opinions disturbs you, an internet message board probably isn't for you...
  • JNettie73
    Options

ROFLMAO. I love that move. It makes me laugh every time I watch it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

The purpose of giving up something for Lent is to show our gratitude for all the sacrifices Christ made for us so we can live the way we do. It is not just something the Church dictates.

One can "give up" things that are not material, physical or temporal... that's just what everyone first thinks of when they think of giving up something for Lent. I mentioned to my Godson (he's 12 and was just baptised into the Anglican church) he could give up fighting with his sister for Lent, after he commented on the fact that, due to mischeviousness, and otherwise 12yr old boy things, had most of his 'fun stuff' taken away from him, and therefore didn't really have anything to "give up" :)

Or you can do something out of your ordinary that will bring you closer to God. It doesn't have to be anything you "give up." Our Church is one that usually recommends doing good deeds you wouldn't normally do instead of giving up something deemed "bad."
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Tennisdude200~"What did Jesus give up for me?"

I don't wanna be that gal...but, He gave up His life for you. He was beaten until they could not recognise Him. No other "god" did this for you/us. I hope you will see that God is LOVE not a big bully up in the sky.

Just my 2 cents/ pounds and not hard feelings!

I wish all of life's BEST and CHEERZ! :drinker:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO. I love that move. It makes me laugh every time I watch it.

I know. Windex on everything! LOL!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Very happy in my giving-up-nothing agnoticism right now.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Very happy in my giving-up-nothing agnoticism right now.

indeed.

I'm starting to cut next month so I'll be giving up carbs in copious quanities :( but that's another ball of wax.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

The purpose of giving up something for Lent is to show our gratitude for all the sacrifices Christ made for us so we can live the way we do. It is not just something the Church dictates.

One can "give up" things that are not material, physical or temporal... that's just what everyone first thinks of when they think of giving up something for Lent. I mentioned to my Godson (he's 12 and was just baptised into the Anglican church) he could give up fighting with his sister for Lent, after he commented on the fact that, due to mischeviousness, and otherwise 12yr old boy things, had most of his 'fun stuff' taken away from him, and therefore didn't really have anything to "give up" :)

Or you can do something out of your ordinary that will bring you closer to God. It doesn't have to be anything you "give up." Our Church is one that usually recommends doing good deeds you wouldn't normally do instead of giving up something deemed "bad."

I agree with what you are saying. :flowerforyou:

But my question is wouldn't it bring you closer to God to practice that good deed 365 days a year rather than just for the season for Lent? I am thinking of the people who most likely go back to their familiar ways once Lent ends. IMO it would be better to practice these things all year long rather than a short period of time.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

I'm not Catholic but still giving something up during Lent, not for the church, but to concentrate and focus on what Jesus has done for me. I think you may be missing the point of Lent. Wink.

Lent isn't just for Catholics any longer, they did give it the name (the world Lent in various anglo languages meaning 'spring') and used it to show respect and thanks for Jesus. It was originally 40 days (to represent Jesus' 40 days in the desert) and I believe it was full fasting... then they changed it to just meat... then again to just on Fridays... then again to Meat's ok on Friday's give up whatever the heck you want (I could be wrong about all this, Im not Catholic so never learned the full history).

Nowadays Lent is a way for Christian's of all denominations to thank Jesus for his suffering to give up something for those 40 days before Easter (the time he spent in the desert).

It's supposed to be something that's not easy for you, that is a struggle so we can get an idea of his suffering. I originally said meat but really that's not suffering for me because I can't eat it anyway (for medical reasons)... I was thinking chocolate. That will be a struggle that will turn me into a holy *****....
This discussion has been closed.