• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    "i need protein so can't give up meat"
    OMG
    FUNIEST THING IVE SEEN ON THE INTERNET TODAY

vegprotein.jpg

Oh wow! 4 whole grams of protein in a potato, we're saved!

Vegetarian propaganda aside most people require more protein than 40-50 grams and a lot of those foods are high in calories or carbs which people are trying to avoid.

many plant based protein sources have more protein in them per 100 calories than meat.
    plus high protein low carb diets are terrible for you
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    plus high protein low carb diets are terrible for you

In what ways?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Lol, did you actually read the article?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Duh?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I need the protein. I already don't get enough- I don't get nearly any vegetarian protein. I am giving up alcohol, even on Sundays... I will give up all drinks besides water, coffee, and an occasional diet soda. I think limiting my eating (i.e. not eating pizza, cheesesteaks, or the cheesecake that is currently in my fridge) is enough... I think God can forgive me for that.

Growing up, we always did fish of some fashion on Lenten Fridays. Now that I have my own family, I still do it. My husband happens to be atheist, but he plays along nicely... tonight is an exception; since we had ribeye steaks last night, we're just doing a chunky tomato-basil soup and grilled cheese for dinner. Friday, however, is salmon. :) You can do Lent without giving up protein!
  • aarontfen
    Options
    The purpose of giving up something for Lent is to show our gratitude for all the sacrifices Christ made for us so we can live the way we do. It is not just something the Church dictates.
  • aarontfen
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

The purpose of giving up something for Lent is to show our gratitude for all the sacrifices Christ made for us so we can live the way we do. It is not just something the Church dictates.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Duh?

From the article:

Dr Gunter Kuhnle, a food nutrition scientist at the University of Reading, said: “While this study raises some interesting perspectives on links between protein intake and mortality… It is wrong, and potentially even dangerous, to compare the effects of smoking with the effect of meat and cheese.”

and

Prof Tim Key, a Cancer Research UK epidemiologist, said: “Further research is needed to establish whether there is any link between eating a high protein diet and an increased risk of middle aged people dying from cancer.”

I'll continue with my steak, and you can eat what you want, but I don't recommend spreading false statements.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

I did!

"Dr Gunter Kuhnle, a food nutrition scientist at the University of Reading, said: “While this study raises some interesting perspectives on links between protein intake and mortality… It is wrong, and potentially even dangerous, to compare the effects of smoking with the effect of meat and cheese.”
    He claimed that sending out such statements “can damage the effectiveness of important public health messages”, adding: “The smoker thinks: 'why bother quitting smoking if my cheese and ham sandwich is just as bad for me?’ ” "

I'm gonna go roll me a ham & cheese doobie now!

:drinker:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If god didn't want us to eat animals - he wouldn't have made them out of meat!!!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    OMG

vegprotein.jpg

56g of protein? Maybe if you weigh 75lbs!!!

Thats the only AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA i see

+1
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Never mind.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    OMG

vegprotein.jpg

Oh wow! 4 whole grams of protein in a potato, we're saved!

Vegetarian propaganda aside most people require more protein than 40-50 grams and a lot of those foods are high in calories or carbs which people are trying to avoid.

IKR? I'm always amused when someone says peanut butter is a great source of protein. It's not. Hell, my reduced-fat peanut butter *still* has more grams of fat than protein per 2tbsp serving (8g protein/ 12g fat). To me, a *good* source of protein has 10+ grams of protein per serving. A *great* source has 20g.

But hey, to each their own.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every Sunday - the whole 9 yards.

IMO I think giving up something for Lent is one of those silly traditions the church has us do. Do you honestly think God is really going to judge you for eating or not eating this or that? God's judgement will really be more on how you live your life, treat others and the Earth not what you do or don't eat.

So what I am saying is do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what the church dictates you "should" do. I think you will be ok. :wink:

FYI - I am vegetarian and I have no problem getting in protein. My intake last night was 96.

I went to catholic school, and I can remember during lent the brothers would gather for a lobster feast every friday night during lent. I always had a problem with this. I cheap hamburger honors the idea of sacrificing something more than lobsterfest. Honoring the letter of the rule while ignoring the spirit of it never sat well with me.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

One can "give up" things that are not material, physical or temporal... that's just what everyone first thinks of when they think of giving up something for Lent. I mentioned to my Godson (he's 12 and was just baptised into the Anglican church) he could give up fighting with his sister for Lent, after he commented on the fact that, due to mischeviousness, and otherwise 12yr old boy things, had most of his 'fun stuff' taken away from him, and therefore didn't really have anything to "give up" :)
This discussion has been closed.